PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety, in particular HA, do any long term damage?

BrokenGirl
07-02-18, 13:27
Just wondering if you're in an anxious state for a long time (many many months) can it do any lasting damage to our bodies?
I mean our fight or flight response is brilliant to help our bodies cope with a frightening situation but because my HA has been so bad for a long time I think my fight or flight response is permanently turned on. Is this even possible?
I suddenly just started getting palpitations today while waiting in the car but I wasn't feeling particularly anxious at the time. It scared me and I still feel a bit fluttery but I'm trying to accept it was just palpitations, it doesn't have to be anything more serious. So this brings me back to the above question - is it possible the fight or flight response can be permanently turned on and if so can this do us any harm?

BrokenGirl
13-02-18, 14:02
Does anyone have any opinions on this?
I'm feeling so low the last few days it simply can't be good for me.
I'm constantly terrified, and my HA is rotating between a couple of different things at the moment. I can't shake it off or talk myself down, it gets more real and stronger as time goes on. Does anyone else feel like this or have advice how to tackle it?
I'm eating healthier lately and have started exercising - baby steps I know, but i still feel like crap.....

budgie1979
13-02-18, 15:50
I don't think fight or flight can be "permanently turned on" unless you have some sort of adrenal problem, and then you would be pretty obviously ill (i.e. it would be more than palpitations). Having a high level of anxiety can make you feel like you're constantly in fight or flight, but I've been told that's not actually the case--the actual adrenaline rush dissipates in a matter of minutes. For example, sometimes I feel so panicked, feel like I can't catch my breath, and I'm sure my HR is through the roof, feels like my heart is pounding away, but I take my pulse and it's actually well within normal ranges. I think what happens is that we get hypersensitive to the feelings of anxiety, and it becomes more noticeable. Everyone has anxiety at some time or another, but not everyone finds it as bothersome. People without anxiety disorder can carry on with their activities and will say they just feel a bit "on edge". Those of us with anxiety disorder get that initial burst of adrenaline, and then we immediately tune into our bodies to see how we're feeling.

I think it's good that you're taking steps to address your anxiety. Healthy eating and exercise are always a good thing. You might also look into doing some mindfulness meditation. I've found it helpful in dealing with that panicky feeling--it helps normalize your breathing and heart rate. The Headspace app is one that I like for learning some simple meditation techniques.

ColdHands
13-02-18, 15:52
Hello! I am one of the people that think this type of thing can do long term damage. Stress is known to cause health problems and HA is stress on steroids. In my case, I think that it has caused inflammation in my body due to the constant stress. On the up side, I don't have HA like I used to. On the down side, it took having actual serious health problems to keep it at bay. Funny how when you have actual health issues, you don't imagine the ones that aren't real. But I can't say that I'm completely over it. I still imagine the worst result on tests, I still leap to the worst result on a test before I get it. So its still there, just in a different way.

I'm suffering from "leap to the worst conclusion" right now too as I await another procedure to test an incidental finding on an upper scope. I've been waiting for three days for a call from the hospital that will do the test and I've found myself having increased acid reflux, increased joint pain etc and serious pain around the part I know they are testing, even when I wasn't having that pain before I knew. The mind can play crazy tricks on you.

Fishmanpa
13-02-18, 15:57
Some of the stress related illnesses like GERD and IBS can indeed cause long term issues if not treated. That's why treating your anxiety with therapy and/or meds is always advised. Treat the root of the problem and you treat the symptoms associated with it.

Positive thoughts

ColdHands
13-02-18, 15:59
Just some things that help me with my anxiety. The obvious ones are of course to stay off Google. The thing with Google is that most of the information on there is either super general/averages over the entire population, or they are so super specific to a group that was being studied that most of the time what is there doesn't necessary apply to you. So though there is actually some great information out there to give you power to discuss actual conditions with a doctor, for people like us it can be terrible. So stay off the internet as much as possible. 2. Keep your mind on other things. I find my HA is very low, or the thing that I am obsessing about seems not to hurt when I don't pay attention to it. Exercise is great, glad you are doing that. When I'm at work and it isn't terribly busy, I get up from my desk and try to find other things to do, even if its rearranging something in my office. 3. I pray. Not everyone believes the same thing, but I pray. Prayer for me is talking to God, just chatting him up with my fears and problems. If you don't believe like that, just talk to yourself. Hearing some of what we believe out loud makes you realize how crazy some of it is. Hope some of this helps.

budgie1979
13-02-18, 17:04
2. Keep your mind on other things. I find my HA is very low, or the thing that I am obsessing about seems not to hurt when I don't pay attention to it. Exercise is great, glad you are doing that. When I'm at work and it isn't terribly busy, I get up from my desk and try to find other things to do, even if its rearranging something in my office.

Just wanted to second this. I used to fall into the trap of becoming immobilized by my anxiety. All I could do was curl up in a ball on the couch or bed and shake, cry and hyperventilate. But, that just makes you feel worse, plus it's a giant waste of time (and then I'd get depressed hours later about spending all my time worrying instead of doing productive things). I find it much better to do something active when my anxiety is high. If I'm home, I'll get started on some chores (there's always something that could do with cleaning). If I'm at work and finding it hard to focus on my actual work (lots of reading and writing, so it can be hard to do that when in an anxiety spiral) I will either take a brisk walk outside for 10-15 minutes or walk upstairs and chat with a co-worker for a little while. Anything to occupy the mind and burn off the adrenaline will help. I've also mostly given up on the laying in bed anxious in the middle of the night. If I wake up with anxiety in the wee hours, I get up, use the bathroom, and then read a book for about half an hour or do crossword puzzles until I've calmed down enough to go back to sleep. I used to think that turning the light on would wake me up too much and I'd never get back to sleep, but I wasn't sleeping anyway due to the anxiety so I figured I may as well get some reading done.

ColdHands
13-02-18, 17:11
Just wanted to second this. I used to fall into the trap of becoming immobilized by my anxiety. All I could do was curl up in a ball on the couch or bed and shake, cry and hyperventilate. But, that just makes you feel worse, plus it's a giant waste of time (and then I'd get depressed hours later about spending all my time worrying instead of doing productive things). I find it much better to do something active when my anxiety is high. If I'm home, I'll get started on some chores (there's always something that could do with cleaning). If I'm at work and finding it hard to focus on my actual work (lots of reading and writing, so it can be hard to do that when in an anxiety spiral) I will either take a brisk walk outside for 10-15 minutes or walk upstairs and chat with a co-worker for a little while. Anything to occupy the mind and burn off the adrenaline will help. I've also mostly given up on the laying in bed anxious in the middle of the night. If I wake up with anxiety in the wee hours, I get up, use the bathroom, and then read a book for about half an hour or do crossword puzzles until I've calmed down enough to go back to sleep. I used to think that turning the light on would wake me up too much and I'd never get back to sleep, but I wasn't sleeping anyway due to the anxiety so I figured I may as well get some reading done.

Which in and of itself shows there is nothing really wrong with you. I've been sick and when you are sick, you can't do all those things

BrokenGirl
13-02-18, 21:28
Thanks for all the replies. I know that anxiety is something that you just have to keep fighting through, and that can be very difficult, especially when in a bad HA spiral. I just find it so hard to distract my mind when I'm in a bad spiral. It's as if no matter what I do I can't get those bad thoughts out of my head.
I am on the waiting list for therapy at the moment but it's going to be a while before that starts. And I'm working through the self help modules that have been recommended here.
Just curious if anyone thinks that because I don't work do I have too much time to ruminate? I sometimes think that, and i've actually got an interview for a job tomorrow which is putting my general anxiety through the roof. But i'm beginning to think that maybe if I had a job then I wouldn't have all this time to think the worst all the time....

budgie1979
13-02-18, 22:00
Thanks for all the replies. I know that anxiety is something that you just have to keep fighting through, and that can be very difficult, especially when in a bad HA spiral. I just find it so hard to distract my mind when I'm in a bad spiral. It's as if no matter what I do I can't get those bad thoughts out of my head.
I am on the waiting list for therapy at the moment but it's going to be a while before that starts. And I'm working through the self help modules that have been recommended here.
Just curious if anyone thinks that because I don't work do I have too much time to ruminate? I sometimes think that, and i've actually got an interview for a job tomorrow which is putting my general anxiety through the roof. But i'm beginning to think that maybe if I had a job then I wouldn't have all this time to think the worst all the time....

Having a job to go to definitely can be helpful. I was probably at my worst during a period of unemployment. I ended up finding a support group plus doing some volunteer work just to give me a reason to leave the house and interact with other people. Good luck with the interview! Job hunting is super stressful, so it's no surprise that your anxiety is high right now.

swajj
14-02-18, 05:58
It can certainly damage your ability to enjoy life and it can negatively impact on your relationships.

AntsyVee
14-02-18, 06:03
Yes it can...GERD, ulcers, IBS, hypertension, muscle strain... plus stress makes most medical conditions worse anyhow.

ColdHands
14-02-18, 15:27
Yes, having a job will help. I've had some of my worst times when I'm home alone with nothing to do. You mind can play all sorts of tricks on you and make your body just do crazy stuff in response. I'm home today because I'm having flu symptoms and don't want to spread to my employees. I had to schedule a medical test today for next week that could end up being very serious. I'm trying not to think about it all day today. I took some cold meds and will probably zone out later. I know its hard to concentrate when you are in a bad worry spiral, whether you have something to worry about or not. I clearly do have something to worry about, but from experience, I know it can be just as bad when you really don't.