PDA

View Full Version : Ways to stop night time anxiety..any suggest?

Lux71
07-02-18, 18:44
Hi, was hoping some of you may have any good suggestions to help alleviate evening/night time anxiety attacks?
During the day I seem to be able to manage it well enough. However come evening time and my mind seems to go into overdrive. I think because it’s dark and it feels so oppressive, I feel closed in a trapped in my own head. Constantly obsessing about certain health issues. Iv tried taking my mind off my problems by reading or watching tv but it doesn’t work. I’m still obsessing and I can’t concentrate. I end up getting up in the middle of the night and literally pacing the house. Finally getting back in bed trying to get a last couple of hours sleep before I have to get up for work. I’m so shattered.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I’d like to know if anyone has found ways to ease their anxiety at night?

Carys
07-02-18, 19:47
Tricky those night time panic/anxiety sessions, as in theory if you've learnt the skills to deal with them at night then you should be able to apply them at night. After all, panic attacks by night and day are no different, they won't harm you and they are self-limiting. However, I do know what you mean, the night does seem harder, due to it being dark and quiet. Do you live alone?

* Listen to a radio programme, with earphones if necessary - and by that I mean one that has talking and something to engage you, rather than just music.

* Do something the involves contact with people, as I think part of the problem is that it feels as if everyone else is asleep and 'non contactable'. OK, how do you do that? Well, you could MSN/chat with someone on the other side of the world? Go onto a chat room where it is active during the night.

* Personally, I used to play something like scrabble or words with friends on my phone - you can set up random games with people you don't know, and set up loads to keep you busy and distracted. (make sure the blue light setting is set, so that you don't affect your brain with the wrong light lol)

* Don't pace around the house, I don't think that won't help you get back to sleep. Don't put lights on too bright. Go down make yourself a nice warm drink (not caffeine), get some biscuits (I'm a believer in getting blood going to your stomach to make you feel a bit tired), make your bed nice and warm with a heated blanket or water bottle. Sit up in it and play your game/listen to the radio show.

* Write a list of things that you will be doing tomorrow/next week, even a shopping list. This reminds you that tomorrow will come and you will get there just fine, as you have every other night before. You know that panic attacks or no panic attacks, you will be seeing the sun rising.

* I do think you need to practice the techniques you have learnt for dealing with panic attacks in the day. The usual things - self-talk, acceptance that they can't hurt you, reassurance etc. etc.

You can change your mindset towarads the night, at the moment it feels like a threatening time, but it can also feel like a warm, safe, quiet and relaxing time......it's all about how you train your mind to think about it.

I'll have a think and come back if anything else comes to mind....

* Start a new nice, quite, 'easy to do in bed' hobby. Sorry I don't know if you are male or female, but actually 'achieving something' small and having to really concentrate can help I think. In the past I have crocheted in bed, do some sketches (keep a pad by the bed)? errrmmmm, struggling on this one actually. ;o)