PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if these symptoms are anxiety or something more serious?

codecity
08-02-18, 00:49
Not sure where to start really but i came off 3 years of Ativan 1mg daily. I've been off them for about 4 months.

Was completely symptom free and felt great until about 8 weeks ago. I had a pretty strange episode. I was sat having a drink with friends when i began to feel very light headed. Dizziness followed and my vision began to fade. I was pretty much unable to speak clearly for 3-5 minutes and upon my vision returning everything was jumping left and right. It taken about 10 minutes for my vision to return to normal. I was just numb and extremely disorientated for the duration of this.

After this episode i have never been "right". After it i started to experience strange episodes pretty much every day in which my heart rate would soar to 160+ and i would feel incredibly dizzy like i was going to pass out.

These episodes lasted for about a month.

Now the episodes have "mostly" passed now i just feel light headed from the moment i wake up until the time i go to bed. Occasionally throughout the day i go dizzy. Whenever i stand up my balance doesn't feel 100% right and sometimes its like my feet move on the floor.

Sometimes I'm just doing a normal task and out of the blue it feels like my head is slammed to the side. It only lasts for a few seconds usually but its like a very violent dizziness.

On and off aching head pain on the right hand side and headaches.

I also wake up several times at night with a severely dry mouth and throat. It gets that dry that my teeth actually hurt. I drink lots of water!

Doctor wants to run just about every test on me, I've already completed a 24 hour ecg and awaiting results to come back.

Do you guys think this could be anxiety related? I've just never been right since i had that episode several weeks ago that severely affected my vision.

Appreciate any input :)

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Forgot to mention at night when lying in bed i can feel myself moving. Its like I'm sinking into the bed and rocking side to side.

Speranza
08-02-18, 08:20
Hiya, I' not a doctor. So definitely go and get checked out BUT this definitely could all be anxiety. When we are anxious our breathing changes; oxygen and carbon dioxide levels change in our blood and set up a vicious circle of many of these symptoms.

Try not to get too involved with these symptoms,. because that's where many people here started out with Health Anxiety. Go to the docotr, accept what s/he says, and go for walks and practise mindfulness. xx

---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

P.S. I get the thing in bed too! Had that all my life, as well as thinking I have shrunk and won't be able to reach the floor if I try to get out! :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

I assume you have a reason to think it may be anxiety. Have you flagged this up with the doctor?

axolotl
08-02-18, 13:11
I can't advise very much on this as I've never been medication and can't join that discussion. But...

Not sure if these symptoms are anxiety or something more serious?

This is a question I see a lot on here, and it shows "black and white thinking" when you think about it. Because something's can't be to attributed anxiety, doesn't mean it has to be serious.

And while some of the symptoms may not be anxiety, anxiety is making us hyperfocus, or joining dots that shouldn't be joined.

There are things like (say) labyrinthitis* that do all kind of weird things but aren't "serious" other than being disorienting and unpleasant.

*Note I have no idea if that fits what you're experiencing, just pointing out that not everything you experience, even with disturbing symptoms, need to be sinister.