PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mole Fell Off Years Ago

Pandarug
09-02-18, 00:47
When I was 12 years old, I noticed a blue speck on my foot. I remember thinking I stepped on a marker. The spot was on my left heel on the bottom of my foot. During this time I was having trouble with OCD and health anxiety. One day in November, I saw the bottom of my foot and I noticed it was larger and brown now and I was terrified. I touched (though I forget how I touched it, I don’t know what I did exactly) and it fell off. It left a perfect circle, no bleeding or anything. Later the spot just healed up and that never happened again. This was all 3 years ago.
I recently read that if you pick off melanoma it can still spread. I did read melanoma doesn’t just fall off and I do believe it came off with very little effort and didn’t hurt, but still what could thing thing be? (By the way, that reassurance doesn’t help at all) I really can’t stop connecting every pain I have to this. It seems no one relates to my story, most people say wart. I had a plantars war on the left foot for sometime though, I forget exactly when and how long (it could be way back before this happened).
I’m now 16 years old and I’m sick with worry. I don’t know what to do. I’m only a minor and I can’t drive and I don’t have a job, so basically I can’t go to the doctors without begging someone.
I really thought I was over this but I'm just so so scared.

Sidenote: when it happened I came on this forum and was embarrassing and spamming the same paragraph over and over, I think my username was waterinaglass.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was 08-02-18 at 22:16 ----------

Anyone please?? I’m so horrified

Pandarug
09-02-18, 14:21
Anything would help!!

Carys
09-02-18, 14:40
I'd never heard of a blue mole, so I looked it up on a dermatology site. IF this is what you had, and it is an IF, then they are most usually entirely benign.

There seems to be two types of this 'blue skin mark thing' a standard benign blue nevus (generally flat), and a larger more raised blue mole, and this is the one more likely needing biopsy.

However, its gone, it was 3 years ago.....and that is a long time in terms of developing a malignancy anywhere. Even in the extraordinarily unlikely event you picked off a malignant mole (I don't think you did!), you would have known about other symptoms coming years ago. It could have simply been a blood blister, they look just like these flat blue moles, and the fact that it just fell off would lead me to surmise that this is what it probably was! Also it was on your heel, which is a place susceptible to a blood blister.

Worrying about this very minor thing, 3 years after it happened is really quite illogical, but then I'm sure you know that as you would have had lots of replies the last time you were here posting about it. From your last visit here you will know that 'spamming' (your word lol) and reassurance seeking can be never-ending and the only way to deal with it is to cut the thoughts off yourself. Reassure yourself, tell yourself the things I've told you here over and over.

I've tried searching for your old username to find the thread, but can't seem to find it....any chance you could look up the old thread so I can read it ?

Pandarug
10-02-18, 00:45
Worrying about this very minor thing, 3 years after it happened is really quite illogical, but then I'm sure you know that as you would have had lots of replies the last time you were here posting about it. From your last visit here you will know that 'spamming' (your word lol) and reassurance seeking can be never-ending and the only way to deal with it is to cut the thoughts off yourself. Reassure yourself, tell yourself the things I've told you here over and over.

I've tried searching for your old username to find the thread, but can't seem to find it....any chance you could look up the old thread so I can read it ?

Thank you so so much for your response. It really helped : ). I think I was banned last time though. I tried to log into it and used a bunch of variations but it didn’t exist : / I would be kind of scared to look back at it though, since I had a better account of it then than now.

Pandarug
11-02-18, 15:38
Okay I just wanted to say this because this is kind of driving me insane. I have a little brown freckle on the joint of my big toe (not under my foot but on the side) . It’s less than a millimeter brown, circle. It on the same foot that *this* happened on. I know it wasn’t there 3 years ago and I think I noticed it maaaaybe like a year ago, I’m really not sure. Anyway I’m worried about it and if it spread which I’m already really worried about that but this is physical proof.

Carys
11-02-18, 15:47
Its physical proof of nothing more than the fact you have a tiny freckle on your toe! Read back what I told you up above again, a few times, and keep reminding yourself of this. I think it was a blood blister you had three years ago.

As you age the body develops blemishes, freckles, marks and assorted things that weren't there before.....I'm nearing 50 and my skin is totally different in appearance to how it was as a teenager in SO many ways. I have lumps, bumps, marks, raised bits, brown bits, red bits...wow I sound multi-coloured and textured from this description lol

To be honest the fact that you are obsessively checking a foot, 3 years after a 'not even a cancerous tiny mark' fell off your foot....is your problem here. Frankly, its so outside the realms of possibility that this freckle shows spread of a cancer (that couldn't have been anyway) from 3 years ago that I would ask at this point - after you were here three years ago did you get help for your HA and OCD? The thing is, if you go to the doctor with a teeny brown freckle on a toe, and tell him you think its spread cancer from a dark tiny blue mark that fell off your foot three years ago, it will be clear to him that this is a HA issue and not a physical problem.

Pandarug
11-02-18, 23:56
To be honest the fact that you are obsessively checking a foot, 3 years after a 'not even a cancerous tiny mark' fell off your foot....is your problem here. Frankly, its so outside the realms of possibility that this freckle shows spread of a cancer (that couldn't have been anyway) from 3 years ago that I would ask at this point - after you were here three years ago did you get help for your HA and OCD? The thing is, if you go to the doctor with a teeny brown freckle on a toe, and tell him you think its spread cancer from a dark tiny blue mark that fell off your foot three years ago, it will be clear to him that this is a HA issue and not a physical problem.

Thank you for your response but I’m just so so scared and uncertain. I’m honestly shaking as I type this. It’s the fact it got bigger and changed color. I’m so alone on this situation. I don’t want to die but I’ve had some abdominal pain for a week and sometimes I’m breathless. It’s weird I wasn’t scared about this now, when this whole thing started it wasn’t my first fear. I’m going to the dermatologist even if I have to force someone to take me, but I’m so scared the dermatologist is going to cringe at my story. I seriously don’t know what to do.

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 00:04
Have you spoken to your parents about your fears and participation on an internet anxiety forum?

Positive thoughts

Pandarug
12-02-18, 00:17
Have you spoken to your parents about your fears and participation on an internet anxiety forum?

Positive thoughts

I’ve told them about my fears but not this forum

nomorepanic
12-02-18, 00:17
Thank you so so much for your response. It really helped : ). I think I was banned last time though. I tried to log into it and used a bunch of variations but it didn’t exist : / I would be kind of scared to look back at it though, since I had a better account of it then than now.

You weren't banned as you now know as I contacted you about this. :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 00:32
I’ve told them about my fears but not this forum

Perhaps you should show them and ask for professional help. You're much too young to be worrying about irrational fears like this.

Positive thoughts

Pandarug
12-02-18, 00:49
Perhaps you should show them and ask for professional help. You're much too young to be worrying about irrational fears like this.

Positive thoughts

Im already in this college therapy program. I go Wednesday but I scared right now.

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 00:54
Im already in this college therapy program. I go Wednesday but I scared right now.

I understand. Does your therapist know that you're posting on the forum? If not, it's imperative you discuss it and even show him/her your posts. Reassurance seeking is detrimental to recovery.

Positive thoughts

Pandarug
12-02-18, 02:53
I understand. Does your therapist know that you're posting on the forum? If not, it's imperative you discuss it and even show him/her your posts. Reassurance seeking is detrimental to recovery.

Positive thoughts

No, nobody knows about this forum. Im curious it’s important though, in the least rude way possible. Idk how to type that without sounding passive agreeive sorry

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 12:59
No, nobody knows about this forum. Im curious it’s important though, in the least rude way possible. Idk how to type that without sounding passive agreeive sorry

Reassurance seeking is detrimental to recovery. Any therapist worth their salt would say the same thing. Those here who are in or have had therapy will tell you the same thing.

Positive thoughts

Carys
12-02-18, 13:33
Can I add? Reassurance seeking (the endless spiral that it is) is obviously a big problem and detrimental to long-term recovering from this HA condition, however, its nigh on impossible to wean yourself off it without learning the strategies that can be used in its place. Just 'not seeking reassurance' alone doesn't work, there are assorted other tools and skills which you need to be guided towards by someone with the mental health background to do so. Your counsellor will need to know the extent to which you are engaging with 'reassurance seeking' so that they can perhaps find you the right therapy, refer you or help deal with it themselves (depending on their own knowledge and if they think someone else is more appropriate).

When we reply to people on all these reassurance seeking threads, we try, really try to put forward some of those different ways of thinking, some of the ways that people are taught to retrain their minds about health issues. It rarely works that people move on from that point, as they haven't been taught to retrain their thought processes in an intensive way by someone external to this forum.

:D

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 14:29
the ways that people are taught to retrain their minds about health issues. It rarely works that people move on from that point, as they haven't been taught to retrain their thought processes in an intensive way by someone external to this forum.

That's what CBT is about. I personally used some of the strategies in the CBT4PANIC (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324) that is FREE here. In addition to some one on one therapy for some depression after my illnesses, there were some great worksheets in that course. My therapist was 100% for it too. I still use some of the techniques to this day for everyday life stresses (work, relationship etc.).

It takes a lot of work but it all comes down to the individual taking the steps to help themselves.

Positive thoughts

Carys
12-02-18, 14:35
Yes, I was referring to CBT, good link FMP :D. I was just saying really for the benefit of the OP who asked about 'why stop getting reassurance', that you have to also adopt other strategies at the same time as staying away from the reassurance. One doesn't work without the other in my opinion.

Pandarug
13-02-18, 00:20
Thanks for the replies above. I really really hope I’m being irrational. I can’t stop thinking about this.
I really want to go to a dermatologist or doctor but I’m so trapped. I really feel doomed. I recently noticed this tiny Grey dot on my left index nail and my left thumb nail. It’s right on the edge and been there a while. It very tiny less than a millimeter. I’m also obsessed with all my other mole and others symptoms I’ve been having. I don’t know what to do. Sorry I’ve basically made this same post like 20 times, I just feel so hopeless I’ve honestly never felt so bad in my life. I’ve had health anxiety but never like this. I try to reassure myself but I have this stupid fear I’m going to “jinx” it, so basically I don’t say anything to myself. I feel like I’m lying to myself anyways.

Fishmanpa
13-02-18, 00:46
Please show your threads to your therapist. I have the feeling he/she doesn't know the severity of your illness. It pains me to see someone so young suffering like this. I have a daughter that is a sufferer. She came to me and told me what was going on. She got help and recovered. I hope you do the same.

Positive thoughts

Pandarug
13-02-18, 00:54
Please show your threads to your therapist. I have the feeling he/she doesn't know the severity of your illness. It pains me to see someone so young suffering like this. I have a daughter that is a sufferer. She came to me and told me what was going on. She got help and recovered. I hope you do the same.

Positive thoughts

I Know I’m not okay mentally but I barely care about that. I don’t mean to sound rude but I really want to know if anyone relate but thank you so much for your help. This is literally my worst fear.

Fishmanpa
13-02-18, 01:16
I Know I’m not okay mentally but I barely care about that. I don’t mean to sound rude but I really want to know if anyone relate but thank you so much for your help. This is literally my worst fear.

No worries. I realize this is just a website and as much as we want to help, sometimes we can't :weep: I hope you find peace.

Best wishes and as always...

Positive thoughts

Pandarug
13-02-18, 01:22
No worries. I realize this is just a website and as much as we want to help, sometimes we can't :weep: I hope you find peace.

Best wishes and as always...

Positive thoughts

Oh no I’m not sending you off :(

Captain irrational
13-02-18, 14:18
When I was 12 years old, I noticed a blue speck on my foot. I remember thinking I stepped on a marker. The spot was on my left heel on the bottom of my foot. During this time I was having trouble with OCD and health anxiety. One day in November, I saw the bottom of my foot and I noticed it was larger and brown now and I was terrified. I touched (though I forget how I touched it, I don’t know what I did exactly) and it fell off. It left a perfect circle, no bleeding or anything. Later the spot just healed up and that never happened again. This was all 3 years ago.
I recently read that if you pick off melanoma it can still spread. I did read melanoma doesn’t just fall off and I do believe it came off with very little effort and didn’t hurt, but still what could thing thing be? (By the way, that reassurance doesn’t help at all) I really can’t stop connecting every pain I have to this. It seems no one relates to my story, most people say wart. I had a plantars war on the left foot for sometime though, I forget exactly when and how long (it could be way back before this happened).
I’m now 16 years old and I’m sick with worry. I don’t know what to do. I’m only a minor and I can’t drive and I don’t have a job, so basically I can’t go to the doctors without begging someone.
I really thought I was over this but I'm just so so scared.

Sidenote: when it happened I came on this forum and was embarrassing and spamming the same paragraph over and over, I think my username was waterinaglass.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was 08-02-18 at 22:16 ----------

Anyone please?? I’m so horrified

If it's been 3 Years and nothing else has happened, it's a pretty safe bet that it wasn't anything serious. Could have been anything from a scab to a blood blister.

Melanoma would not go undetected in your body for 3 whole years. You would at the very least be extremely ill by now, or most likely dead.

Pandarug
14-02-18, 01:01
If it's been 3 Years and nothing else has happened, it's a pretty safe bet that it wasn't anything serious. Could have been anything from a scab to a blood blister.

Melanoma would not go undetected in your body for 3 whole years. You would at the very least be extremely ill by now, or most likely dead.

Honestly, your post put me in a new perspective at the moment. I have a lymph node in my groin that’s been swollen for at least three years, I noticed it three years ago but I had lots of UTIs as a kid and if it was melanoma then I would probably be dead.

Pandarug
14-02-18, 11:48
Two nights in a row of terrible sleep over this. I was an idiot and was looking up everything on the internet last night. Waiting waiting waiting.