PDA

View Full Version : The need to clean is becoming a problem for me

sadtimes
09-02-18, 09:07
I used to be quite messy, I wouldn’t care if clothes were on the floor or there were things out. I would always just sort it out later.
But over the last couple years cleaning has become somewhat of an obsession for me and gives me terrible anxiety when things aren’t exactly completely in order and I see a spec of dirt. I don’t believe it’s to do with OCD, because I know exactly what that way of thinking feels like, and it’s doesnt feel like an OCD obsession. It’s more of a panic that I feel, like my whole world around me is crashing down whenever my house isn’t totally tidy and clean. I will snap at my friends, family and my boyfriend if they leave one thing out like a can of a drink or a plate. It’s more or less like a constant need for perfection and if one thing isn’t quite perfect I’ll have a meltdown and nothing can get done until I’ve cleaned, I will make food and cannot eat until I’ve cleaned all the utensils I used to cook it and the kitchen, by then the food has gone cold..
It’s really starting to become a problem for me, I’ll panic so hard when things aren’t perfectly clean and I don’t know what to do

MyNameIsTerry
10-02-18, 04:43
Perfectionism is one of the roots in OCD.

Have you read about Contamination OCD? What you are saying here seems to fit to me.

liampaynelover
11-02-18, 15:38
Perfectionism is one of the roots in OCD.

Have you read about Contamination OCD? What you are saying here seems to fit to me.

It sounds exactly like OCD to me, It isn't much fun. Have you ever gone to a therapist?

Bigboyuk
11-02-18, 15:57
:hugs:
It sounds exactly like OCD to me, It isn't much fun. Have you ever gone to a therapist? Yes and me, don't think it's a question of contamination(If it is it's only slightly) that's making the OP want to be clean and tidy but more to the OCD has switched from being messy and untidy to want to be 'perfectly' clean, what ever it is it's OCD alright! ATB