PDA

View Full Version : Frenectomy

Emilychazza98
09-02-18, 11:24
I had a frenectomy done yesterday for orthodontist reasons which is removal of the tissue that holds the upper lip to the gum.

In my opinion the procedure which was meant to be simple, felt traumatic and I was sweating and panicking the whole time.

The throbbing had subsised thankfully, however it is still oozing and taste like egg. Is this normal?

I tried to have a look this morning at the site and all I could see was white. Is thjs infected??really worried about sepsis

Emilychazza98
09-02-18, 17:48
Is it normal for it be all yellow?? It looks horrible. I'm actually scared of looking at it. It's justba massive yellow and brown hole in my mouth

I rang 111 and they said it's highly unlikely to be infected this early on.

Is this normal??

Fishmanpa
09-02-18, 17:53
Any procedure in your mouth will look pretty icky for a while. After all, it's a dark, damp place full of moisture. It takes much longer for things in the mouth to heal.

I had plenty of procedures in my mouth and throat due to my cancer. I know. One thing you can do is make a solution of 1 pint water, a tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of baking soda and rinse with it several times a day. It helps it heal and lessens any discomfort.

Positive thoughts

ryan0987
09-02-18, 20:17
What aftercare instructions were you given? Are you suppose to rinse with salt water or chlorhexidine? Any fresh wound would look terrible, they usually take a few days to settle down. It’s probably best not to look at it for now in case you irritate the wound and not let it heal (e.g. pulling it apart as it’s just healing).

If you really think there are any major issues, refer to the doctor’s aftercare instructions and/or contact them with your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emilychazza98
10-02-18, 11:31
I rang up 111 last night and they said to see how it goes and it doesn't sound infected.

I've been doing salt water rinses. I keep getting a horrible smelly taste in my mouth though. Pain wise it's fine however

Emilychazza98
10-02-18, 18:44
I am going to a and e now as the taste is horrible and it's really yellow and gunky all inside. My head really hurts too and I look ill.

Really ferried of infection and sepsis or brain infection

Carys
10-02-18, 18:45
Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Emilychazza98
10-02-18, 20:18
It's infected..

So I was right about that. Thank God I didn't leave it

Carys
10-02-18, 20:25
Crumbs, that came on quick didn't it within 24 hours from the procedure being done! I'm glad you got it checked, bad time for things like that at the weekend isn't it with doctors not being open.

However
sepsis or brain infection were a bit of a leap from the infected area you had.Did the orthodontist that did the work not provide you some contact details for if you have problems ?

Emilychazza98
10-02-18, 20:32
That's what I thought.. I'll take the antibiotics anyway for my own piece of mind even if the white stuff is normal.

I have a number for the unit that did the surgery but they aren't open.. so I couldn't wait till Monday as my anxiety was sky high.

Goes to show to always trust your instincts though with these things though!

Carys
10-02-18, 20:35
.. I'll take the antibiotics anyway for my own piece of mind even if the white stuff is normal.

...but they said it was infected ? :huh:

Emilychazza98
10-02-18, 20:44
Yes they did, but on the phone yesterday when I called 111 they said it was way to early to become infected even though I told them about the smell and the yellow/white stuff so they didn't want me to go in. They're giving me 2 different antibiotics aswell which is weird?

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-18, 02:08
I'm surprised they didn't pick up on the taste/smell issue as that's a classic sign of infection. But 111 is a service with it's issues so don't take their incorrect advice as indicative of what a GP, nurse, etc may do or say as the difference in training & experience is massive.

When I had an infection from a broken wisdom tooth I found that once the antibiotics got a handle on the infection after a couple of days the pain dropped off significantly.

If you find these symptoms coming back after you finish the antibiotics just contact them again (or your dentist) because it might just need a slightly longer course (mine came back and another slightly longer course sorted it all out).

Emilychazza98
11-02-18, 13:09
If the infection has gone to my sinuses, my cheeks are really hurting and I generally don't feel well at all, will the antibiotics clear it??

Starting to think I have a brain tumour because I have dizziness and unbalanced and have headaches

Carys
11-02-18, 13:21
Has the pain reduced at all Emily? I know you've probably only taken 1 or 2 of the anti-biotics, but wondering if you'd seena change or not ?

I agree with Terry, 111 sometimes aren't the 'best' at dealing with these types of things, so go with what you were told at the hospital.

Emilychazza98
11-02-18, 15:01
To be honest it was painful just tastes horrible and looked minging. The only pain is my headaches and teeth (I have braces on so maybe it's thay) and then my sinuses hurt abit

Carys
11-02-18, 15:15
Well, yeah, the braces could certainly cause 2-3 days of unpleasant pain. I've not had them, but my daughter did and every time she went back for them to be adjusted she had face and head pain. Have you taken your temperature ?

Emilychazza98
11-02-18, 18:52
They did at the hospital. Not sure what it was. I don't think I have a temperature anyway.. Just don't feel well. But then again when I was cooking earlier it went out of my mind and I felt okay. Maybe it's my head making it worse. I just hope the antibiotics kick in and clear the manky stuff

Emilychazza98
12-02-18, 14:37
Been taking my antibiotics since I had them and there's no improvement. It keeps throbbing all the time and it is still gunky.

I rang the hospital this morning to let them know I went to a and e and they have decided to see me on Thursday to look at it

Would the antibiotics of kicked in now..

Carys
12-02-18, 14:54
When did you start them? usually if the bacteria is receptive then you'd hope within 24-48 hours there would be changes happening.

Emilychazza98
12-02-18, 15:30
I started them Saturday night..

The gunk just keeps running from it. I'm scared of swallowing it in case it infects my stomach.

Not sure if it's getting better