PDA

View Full Version : What is BFS/twitching truly?

J.A.
10-02-18, 16:50
Hello everybody,

I've posted 2 or 3 threads related to twitching/BFS/whatever you want to call it. This hellhole started for me about 3 months ago. I've talked to several forum members about it, and searched the entire internet about this hell.

My view of it:

Twitching does seem to be common in the anxious and stressed. However, twitching is not always BFS. Several members reported twitching all over the body, hotspots, everything that includes symptoms of BFS, buzzing, pins and needles and go on. On NMP quite a few members claimed the twitching subsided eventually, or it got so relaxed that they didn't notice it. So it seems that twitching all over the body could be a direct reaction to severe stress and anxiety. But if it subsides, was it really BFS?

The actual view:

I'm sure plenty members of NMP who had twitching, one way or the other ended up on Aboutbfs.com. This is a website loaded with twitching people, very anxious and discussing about twitching for pages and pages. If you take a good look, you will notice there is most likely not one succes story that turned out that one's twitching subsided or stopped. There are even people who claim that it's a autoimmune disease. Others see it as a neurological disease. But pretty much everybody is very anxious about it.

So my question is; the symptoms of those who's twitching subsided are the same as those who have the BFS for years. One claims it stops, the other claims it's a real syndrome that never goes away? What are your views on this?

Meriland30
10-02-18, 21:52
I can tell you from personal experience that mine came full force, and subsequently subsided completely after a few months. BFS is like IBS, no one has a reason, a cause, just know that it is benign and then slap a abbreviation on it. I think, personally, BFS is a stress response symptom. If this is true, then that further explains why numbness, tingling, jerks, etc. I had gone to a neurologist for my fasciculations and he told me that fasciculations (aside from eye twitches) are due to either ALS or BFS. Without clinical weakness, it is BFS. I asked him if anxiety can cause, or even exacerbate BFS, and he said anxiety cant effect that part of the brain. Funny, cause after I was diagnosed with BFS and calmed down, the fasciculations went away. I think BFS and anxiety related fasciculations are one in the same. Doctors have only scratched the surface on physical manifestations of anxiety, makes sense someone experiencing it might know more in some respects.