PDA

View Full Version : Rabies fear after 1 and half Years

anku
10-02-18, 21:29
1 and half Year back, I picked up a stray puppy, took it to my home and washed it. However, I am worrying now if I can get rabies from that incident, I remember that the puppy tried to bite my hand but I removed it quickly and there was nothing but it is coming to my mind what if it did.Also, I read that the virus can incubate for 25 years. Is that true?

Carys
10-02-18, 21:33
The typical incubation period is three to eight weeks, but it can be as little as nine days or as long as several years in some rare cases.....apparently.

You said the puppy didn't bite you though, it 'tried to' only, but now in your fear you are imagining it did. If it had bitten you, at the time you would have been concerned about it - but you weren't.

anku
10-02-18, 21:36
Should i go for vaccine now? Will it even work?

Carys
10-02-18, 21:39
You said the puppy didn't bite you though, it 'tried to' only, but now in your fear you are imagining it did. If it had bitten you, at the time you would have been concerned about it - but you weren't. I don't know anything about rabies vaccines I'm afraid, maybe some of our US friends can help out? We don't have rabies in the UK you see. I don't see why you'd be considering it though after 1 and 1/2 years and you didn't get bitten.

au Lait
10-02-18, 22:41
The incubation period is virtually never over a month. Maybe the idea that it could incubate for years came from some very rare case, though honestly it was probably a fluke. It’s just not something that happens. At any rate, you were never exposed to it so you are fine. No need to worry.

Carys
10-02-18, 22:43
Thanks au lait!

Fishmanpa
10-02-18, 23:03
This warrants the same response to the brain eating amoeba thread...

:huh: ummmm :lac:

Positive thoughts

Carys
10-02-18, 23:05
FMP, explain this.......everyone who has posted about the brain eating amoeba is from the US. Has it been in the news there or something ?

NervUs
10-02-18, 23:07
FMP, explain this.......everyone who has posted about the brain eating amoeba is from the US. Has it been in the news there or something ?

No, it has not been in the news. The news is too busy predicting our death by flu.

Carys
10-02-18, 23:09
The news is too busy predicting our death by flu:roflmao:

Wahhhahhh, ok....cheerful times.

Fishmanpa
10-02-18, 23:24

It's an incredibly rare disease caused by an amoeba that can sometimes reside in warm stagnant water in the southern US. There have been less than 150 cases since 1962. Think about that... less than 150 cases in the last 56 years! There was a case of a person in the flooded areas of Houston TX. that died from it last September.

The odds are the same as rabies where there are 1-3 [I](out of 300 Million+) reported annually (and some of those were contracted outside the US in third world countries) Frankly, the way these posts describe their exposure makes it a complete and utter fantasy.

Positive thoughts

Carys
10-02-18, 23:31
So, basically the risk is higher of having a piece of meteor land on your greenhouse whilst you are potting up herbs? Seems that way. :D

Fishmanpa
10-02-18, 23:35
So, basically the risk is higher of having a piece of meteor land on your greenhouse whilst you are potting up herbs? Seems that way. :D

You probably have a better chance of getting hit by a piece of meteor! :winks:

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
11-02-18, 02:20
No, my news says there is a tequila shortage. That will cause the death of some of us...

NancyW
11-02-18, 03:09
No, it has not been in the news. The news is too busy predicting our death by flu.

:roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-18, 03:13

:roflmao:

Trump will be getting jealous that he isn't the number one risk, he does love any publicity! :D

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

No, my news says there is a tequila shortage. That will cause the death of some of us...

:ohmy: Sounds like potential discrimination from immigration policy...if being stereotypical for a moment (a tea shortage over here would male us turn feral :biggrin:) :winks:

AntsyVee
11-02-18, 04:31
Lol you know, I never believed the stereotype about tea and Britain until I went there. I cannot say I understand the fascination. Coffee on the other hand....

anku
11-02-18, 09:34
Thanks guys. I was fine till I read about the longer incubation periods of the virus and it started me thinking about past incidents where I may have been infected. One thing led to another and now I can't keep the thought aside. However, thank you for your replies. I shall now rest this incident in peace and move on.Thanks again

Carys
11-02-18, 15:13
I shall now rest this incident in peace and move on.

I really think that is what you need to do. :D

Carys
12-02-18, 16:11
I am taking a dose of three rabies vaccination following a dog scratch. Today, the 7th day is scheduled for the second vaccine, today I was scratched by another dog. Should I restart the vaccination or continue with it?
Copying this across from the other thread you just started, which is now closed:

Well, this makes no sense at all. You started a thread on the 10th, only a few days ago about a dog that had NOT bitten you 1 1/2 years ago and should you have the vaccine?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...51#post1764951 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1764951#post1764951)

Then yesterday, you said you were putting it out of your mind after all our replies.

Today, with this post on 12th, you are on the second dose of a vaccine for rabies and it is day 7 ? You are having these vaccines as a dog scratched you a few days ago, and ALSO another one scratched you today.

IF you are having the vaccine, who is giving them to you for dog scratches? and why didn't you mention them in your previous thread ?

Whats really going on Anku? ;o)

anku
12-02-18, 16:25
Actually yesterday after reading your replies I was discussing it with my friends. It's a query of my friend who is taking rabies vaccine. I asked it on behalf of him from this same account.Sorry for the trouble.

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 16:37
Actually yesterday after reading your replies I was discussing it with my friends. It's a query of my friend who is taking rabies vaccine. I asked it on behalf of him from this same account.Sorry for the trouble.

Respectfully...

"I am taking a dose of three rabies vaccination following a dog scratch. Today, the 7th day is scheduled for the second vaccine, today I was scratched by another dog. Should I restart the vaccination or continue with it?"

I'm confused :huh: Why not just say "my friend" instead of "I"? And why would your friend be getting the vaccine? It's incredibly expensive and they only give it when there's a high chance of exposure.

Positive thoughts

Carys
12-02-18, 16:43
Yes ^ AND your 'friend' would have the advice of the medic who is giving the vaccine and not need to ask it on here. Anku, are you buying something over the internet or something to self-medicate because of your fears ? (if this is even possible to buy over the internet?) I am concerned about why you are asking this question here. We can try and advise you about your health fear, but you need to be honest. I know that Rabies is a real problem in India, so I'm not down-playing the real risk you are feeling here.

anku
12-02-18, 18:37
No, i am not doing that. Actually, my friend put these fears in me regarding the incubation period of the rabies virus. He was scratched by a stray dog a few days ago and has gone parranoid over it.He has got the first shot on 6 Feb. Today, I was telling him that it is not possible to get rabies after 1 and half Years when he said that he didn't see but a dog was passing by his side and what if the dog scratched him and he didn't feel anything so, he asked me to ask here if he needs to restart the vaccine. It's like whenever he sees a cat or a dog, he freaks out. There are a lot of strays in this area.It has come to a point that he won't even get out of the house thinking if he doesn't feel a dog or cat Scratch. For now, i am doing all of his outside work but it can't go on forever. What should I do to get this fear out of his head?