PDA

View Full Version : What you doing to beat your Socail Anxiety?

Keep going
04-07-07, 20:58
Personally i'm doing self-cbt, exercise and meds at the moment.

Stuart:)

pete69
04-07-07, 23:33
exercise is always good for confidence,also what meds r u on stu?
as for the cbt my shrink says its the no1 treatment longterm for sa-i just havent got the time to commit to it yet as working all day i cant imagine or maybe i dont want to put myself into a busy supermarket or whatever-have tried 13 sessions with a cbt therapist-it was ok and i felt so improvement-just gotta make your goals a bit more harder each week havent you.
good luck anyways

pete

lestat
05-07-07, 12:48
Personally i'm doing self-cbt, exercise and meds at the moment.

Stuart:)

What does "self-cbt" means?
Thank you.

Lestat

lucy0927
05-07-07, 12:56
I've found certain things help me when I'm in social situations so I try to do these to ease the anxiety. For example, I never put myself in a pressure situation, I always have a get out clause if i don't want to do or go somewhere.

I go out with people I feel comfortable with and I try to go out in groups where I don't feel the pressure to keep up conversation, as I'm worse in a 1:1 situation.

I find a glass of wine at the start of the night helps me relax a little and I'm better at making conversation and not feeling so paranoid and anxious.

Over the past few years I've realised that the more in control of the siuation I am the less anxious I feel. So I don't drink myself stupid and try to distract myself and focus the conversation on other people or subjects I like if I'm feeling a bit off.

I think I'll always be anxious about meeting new people or going somewhere with a load of people I don't know but a lot with me depends on what mood I'm in and how strong I'm feeling. On a good day I feel I can do most things and I just have to hope these become more frequent.

Keep going
06-07-07, 12:08
What does "self-cbt" means?
Thank you.

Lestat

Its do it yourself cognitive behaviour therapy. A set of tapes and tasks based on cbt. As i can't get cbt in my area.

Stuart:yesyes: