PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Abscess. Taking Antibiotics

Megan99
12-02-18, 05:04
I have a tooth abcess around my partially erupted wisdom tooth. I was given antibiotics and I've been religiously cleaning the area with hydrogen peroxide evey couple hours. But i'm worried. I heard that tooth abcesses can be life threatening and. what if Im not doing enough. Also, what if hydrogen peroxide is dangerous to use so often? Today, I was brushing my teeth and the area around. the abcess started bleeding. I imemdiatly cleaned it out with peroxide. Im so worried. Anyone else have a tooth abcess before?

Mom2FourKiddos
12-02-18, 05:50
Let me try to put your mind at ease. My ex husband has a birth defect of almost no tooth enamel. His whole mouth would abscess and he got to the point that his teeth would just fall out. (I'm not kidding) His entire jaw would be infected and he got to the point that he stopped even trying to treat it and dealt with the tooth loss.

He is very much still alive and healthy. And this went on in his mouth for literally 20+ years. I really would not worry. You're on your medication and that will take care of it. :) I hope you feel better quickly. I know how bad they hurt.

worrywart29
12-02-18, 06:06
Untreated abscesses are usually the ones that cause problems. You’re on antibiotics. I had one that caused my jaw to swell three times it’s normal size. I took the antibiotics and was fine afterwards.

Megan99
12-02-18, 06:12
Thank you everyone:hugs:. I was having trouble breathing but Im sure it was just anxiety. Yeah, my face is swollen I look like a chipmunk haha!

WiseMonkey
12-02-18, 06:52
Hi,
I had a tooth abscess twice after a root canal and it was constant antibiotics before I went to an oral surgeon for an operation to clean the whole infection out. The tooth had to be rebuilt but it crumbled a few weeks later so I had to have a complete crown put in on top of the root (which was all that remained of the original tooth). Although it was painful, at no time did I feel that my life was threatened.

That was 15 years ago and my tooth is still good :)