PDA

View Full Version : Feeling emotionally numb

Dieselj28
05-07-07, 01:19
Recently I've been doing quite well with my anxiety and I had actually thought I had been getting better but these past 2 days I have been feeling emotionally numb. It comes and goes and it feels like I cant get an emotional reaction to anything. I mean I can still cry at times and laugh but sometimes I just cant feel my emotions at all. I have had de-realization/depersonalization so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

I was wondering if this was a symptom and what I could do to feel emotions again? Or does anyone have any insight on this

woofybaby
05-07-07, 07:16
I can't give you any 'answers', but if it is any consolation, I feel exactly the same. I laugh - but it doesn't seem 'real'. Someone in a thread that I started in the depression forum said that you just hav to go with it and stop thinking about it - if you look too hard, it won't come. It seems to be a symptom. Personally, I think it is one of the worst ones.

Keep smiling - PM me if you want support. We are all in this together!:hugs:

bluesparkle
05-07-07, 10:07
hi
yes i agree this is definately a symptom... amongest all the others we have to suffer...
i had no emotions for a very long time and couldnt work out what was wrong with me but as i have started recovery they have started to come back, i remember posting a while ago and saying that i had actually laughed and i mean really laughed and i had cried to which was anouther emotion that had dissapeared so yes dont fight it just try to relax about it(i know thats easier said than done) but it will come back to you.
rach

groovygranny
05-07-07, 14:54
Yes, be reassured your emotions will come back!

I am a very emotional person usually, but can still remember one day when I was particularly poorly, my little grandson came to visit - he was only 15 months old and toddled towards me holding his arms out and a huge smile on his face. I held out my arms to catch him, but instead of swinging him up and away, laughing and kissing his neck as I usually did - I felt nothing, not a thing. And I couldn't even cry at the realisation that I felt nothing.

Thankfully, the 'emotional desert' that I found myself in didn't last long and as I began to feel better generally, my emotions returned.

Try not to 'think' about it too much - relax and let it happen and your emotions will return.

:hugs::hugs:

:flowers: