PDA

View Full Version : Low Iron on Blood Test

Simone01
13-02-18, 20:43
Hi all! Just thought I would post a question. I had my bloods taken two years ago and had a reading of 10.6 for my iron levels and then had blood tests since and went back to normal after having iron tablets for a while. Then was asked to have a blood test without the iron tablets and it came back normal six months ago so was told not to take them anymore as it had returned to normal. Then I have had my bloods taken a couple of weeks ago and my iron level is now 10. Although this time doctor didn’t suggest iron tablets but I’ve been feeling tired, dizzy, nauseous and had a heavy period the week after my bloods were taken. I have started a multivitamin with everything in it and trying to up my iron in my diet but does anyone else have this? I’m confused how one doctor put me on two iron tablets a day with a reading of 10.6 and this doctor has suggested nothing on a reading of 10? I also had two lots of antibiotics at the time of my blood test and have heard some can affect iron absorption and at the time I had a virus so wasn’t eating very week if at all for a good few weeks before. All my other blood levels were fine including CRP and ESR levels.

0121niamh
17-02-18, 18:20
Hi guys havent been on here for a while ive been doing pretty well but anxiety has reared its head again. So sincw xmas ive been having some tummy pains in my upper tummy pain like someone is pressing on my tummy ive had heartburn and terrible bottom wind after being previously told i have ibs i was unsure if this was a new symptom. I saw the dr who referred me for blood tests and gave me some meds as she felt it was reflux related. I rang for the results 16.2.18 and was told not all of them were back but that a couple of them mean i beed to speak to the dr i explained about my anxiety and the receptionist said shed get the on call dr to call me. So she called me and said that my iron levels are low and im anemic and my b12 is borderline. She said i need to speak to the dr who referred me for blood tests to see what she recommends next medication or further tests. She said my other results that were back looked ok ive had ferritin test another test and full bloods back. Im awaiting the liver and utcs and esr results and have arranged a telephone appointment for tues 19th feb. Anyway the tummy pain is miraculously come back since the dr spoke to me last night. So dr google is saying anemia is from blood loss ive had no blood in stools or vomiting blood but im now petrified of it beibg colon cancer or stomach cancer as these also say they can cause anemia. The dr also said my sertraline cab cause bleeing too but im so scared anmeia alone woukdnt cause the tummy pain wud it? My friend has said if tgey were concerned about cancer then they wud of called me not me chase them and that my bloods wud show more than low iron but im so unsure and worried a