PDA

View Full Version : missed heart beats

june
05-07-07, 14:35
Hi, the feeling of missed heartbeats is terrifying.
it is similar to being in a lift that goes down too fast and you leave stomach behind and have that awful feeling when it "bounces down".
I have read that it is called extrasystoles - it is harmless (says the book) and exercise will help - yet i am too scared to even move when this happens.

It leaves me with an ache in my chest and down the left arm.
WHICH IS EVERYONES IDEA OF A HEART ATTACK!!!

My Doctor says the heart attack would be a lot more painful, and i really should not worry!!!!!!!!!!
Iknow, I know but it is terrifying.
Does anyone else suffer from this symptom??
I probably won't be near the computer till saturday, so bear with me if a reply is needed
Best wishes
june

Alabasterlyn
05-07-07, 15:27
Hi June, I can relate to how you feel. I've had missed heart beats since I was in my early 20's and I'm now 52, so I'm guessing they aren't anything to worry about.

I've often asked my Dr about it and he has constantly reassured me that it's nothing to worry about. I have heard that exercise does help with this problem too. Funny thing is I don't really have these missed beats when I am doing something, it's when I am sitting down relaxing.

Piglet
05-07-07, 16:20
I've been having them for about 7/8 years and no they aren't a barrel of laughs.

June you can always read our advice pages on 'heart' issues then you will get reassured and not more scared hopefully. Select from the links on the righthand side!

Love Piglet :flowers:

jonngait
06-07-07, 16:01
Yeah,that feeling is so bad..Look,here is a tip by me..When you get those stupid thingies,just stand up and tell yourself that it's nothing..Nothing to worry about..You CAN get over it..Just have trust..

sarad
06-07-07, 19:01
I'm sure that my situation isn't typical but having had ectopic heartbeats I've now been disgnosed with leaking heart valves, although the two things might not be connected. Does anyone have experience of coping with palpitations etc. with underlying heart disease as I find it all quite scary.

june
07-07-07, 13:39
Dear Alabasterlyn, Piglet, jonngait and sarad,
Thank you all for your replys, i really did not expect others to suffer in the same way - this is the best thing about this site YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!
It was such a relief to read that it is 'not life threatening' which is always my greatest fear.
Thank you

Sarad i am sorry to hear of your plight and I hope that someone has more knowledge than I, and will advise you on some coping skill.
Best of best wishes to you all
june

sarad
08-07-07, 14:11
Dear June,
I so agree with you that it helps to know that you are not alone - and, if it helps, my cardiologist is not worried about my odd heartbeats. The problem is,and he agrees, that once you are aware of them it is very hard to ignore them. I notice them most when I'm not doing much or trying to sleep. Perhaps they will go away as quickly as they appeared.For all our sakes!

Sara

mkeeley
13-07-07, 04:11
I've read that coughing stops them, not for all time just that particular episode.

beadbabe
13-07-07, 09:20
Hi there
I have a severe problem with these - thousands and thousands per day - probably 8-10 per minute. They are a nightmare. But I am still here after a year of them! The cardiologist I have seen says not to worry about them. he has them - and he's a cardiologist and says he doesn't take anything for them, just not worrying is the best way to ease them. It's not easy.
I hate them and probably if they went away I would feel fine - vicious circle of anxiety, again
beadbabe

june
14-07-07, 14:13
Hi everyone thank you for all your support.
Sarad you are quite right i am so aware of this 'odd heart beat' that i tend to wait for it - and then become terrified.
I have also been told that I am tooooo concious of any ailment, and that I magnify it out of all proportion.
Unfortunately, even knowing this - does not help me to rationalise what is happening.
I sometimes feel like as if I am two people, one half argues against the other !!!!!!! BUT the fear seems to win every time and I get so exhausted arguing with myself.
Hope this makes sense to you .
Best wishes to all
june

Two heads
15-07-07, 18:49
Hi there!
I have been having missed beat for a year and a half now and had every heart test going.The more you take notice of them the worst they seem to become.Just try and let them ride past and distract yourself with something.Sometimes i can get loads in a row and then have none for weeks.xxx