PDA

View Full Version : Constantly swallowing saliva

movingforward101
15-02-18, 11:35
Hey guys how you doing, so i have had this problem of constantly swallowing saliva for about a year now. I have been diagnosed with anxiety by my local GP.
The more i feel anxious, the more i swallow. Nowadays my anxiety is not too bad(thank god!!!) however i still have this swallowing problem. Everyday i wake up and the first thing i think about is the swallowing. It annoys me to the point where sometimes all i think about is swallowing my saliva. When i try to force it to stop it does not work and i think it makes it worse and i just keep gulping.

Ive been searching for a cure/coping technique on the internet and i found one which works on occasions which is to not think about it, like for example when im focused on doing something else (gym or running) but for the most part its very hard for me to not think about it, my mind shifts to the swallowing once i unfocused on the activities i was doing previously.

Any ideas on how i can change my thought process so i dont focus on this particular problem all the time? its driving me crazy. I would like to see your opinions and tips especially those with the same problem. Thanks in advance

Clara983
15-02-18, 12:42
I get this during severe phases of anxiety. It helps to distract myself and then it goes away. Also, drinking water helps me heaps.