PDA

View Full Version : Amenia??

becca98
15-02-18, 15:07
Hi I have just got back from the doctors and my iron level is 95...

It was 140 about 6 months ago, I am pregnant so I guess this explains why, but the massive drop scares me? Is it normal? I know I shouldn’t but I am worrying now about other conditions like cancer, ugh!!!

Carys
15-02-18, 15:18
Hiyer its quite normal for many women to develop mild anaemia in pregnancy, as your body needs to produce more blood cells as part of feeding the baby. I would guess that your doctor wasn't too concerned and is starting oral iron treatment ? If your diet doesn't contain enough iron then it will more than likely need supplementing this way. I don't know why you are jumping to cancer.....when you have a perfectly logical reason (pregnancy) for the change. :D I am perpetually anaemic if I don't take iron - the best way to take it is with some fruit juice and don't have tea or coffee for an hour or so, as that inhibits absorption.

becca98
15-02-18, 15:24
Hiyer its quite normal for many women to develop mild anaemia in pregnancy, as your body needs to produce more blood cells as part of feeding the baby. I would guess that your doctor wasn't too concerned and is starting oral iron treatment ? If your diet doesn't contain enough iron then it will more than likely need supplementing this way. I don't know why you are jumping to cancer.....when you have a perfectly logical reason (pregnancy) for the change. :D I am perpetually anaemic if I don't take iron - the best way to take it is with some fruit juice and don't have tea or coffee for an hour or so, as that inhibits absorption.

lol I’d love to know why my brain is jumping to cancer aswell, I really don’t get it. I just thought 95 was really low? then I don’t know what it’s supposed to be.. I’m waiting for my tablets now yeah [emoji4] thank you for that, can I ask what you eat to improve it?

Carys
15-02-18, 15:39
Well, I've looked it up and normal for a woman is 115-160. It says that they start treatment usually under 100, so you aren't so far under that threshold, so I don't think you should worry its not transfusion level stuff :winks: . The lowest I got on one test was 65, and I was very symptomatic by that point. Did they talk to you at all about vitamin B12 and folate? Just wondering really as I know sometimes they all go hand in hand in building up your iron levels.

Here's you iron rich foods list...

Meat, fish and tofu (I'm vegetarian), Iron-fortified breakfast cereals or bread, Egg, Pulses and beans,Nuts and seeds,Dried fruit,watercress spinach kale and dark greens (I have a good amount of this, but clearly not enough lol)

becca98
15-02-18, 16:05
Well, I've looked it up and normal for a woman is 115-160. It says that they start treatment usually under 100, so you aren't so far under that threshold, so I don't think you should worry its not transfusion level stuff :winks: . The lowest I got on one test was 65, and I was very symptomatic by that point. Did they talk to you at all about vitamin B12 and folate? Just wondering really as I know sometimes they all go hand in hand in building up your iron levels.

Here's you iron rich foods list...

Meat, fish and tofu (I'm vegetarian), Iron-fortified breakfast cereals or bread, Egg, Pulses and beans,Nuts and seeds,Dried fruit,watercress spinach kale and dark greens (I have a good amount of this, but clearly not enough lol)

not to low then, I’m so close to my due date and not sure how they will go up by birth, but I’m sure the doctor will know I’m still waiting to hear from him, he hasn’t mentioned anything I was actually getting tested for liver function and they said that was fine just my iron levels were low.

How come you have low iron? It confuses me a bit aha. 65!! I would of fainted if they said that, stupid health anxiety haha. I haven’t had many symptoms but then I guess they’re all the same as pregnancy so hard to tell.

I really have no iron in my diet after looking up some foods and that list wow!![emoji33]

Carys
15-02-18, 16:10
Mine goes low because I am a vegetarian and have heavy 'you Know whats!' (perimenopausal). Years ago I took myself to the doctor the first time it happened as I was out of breath going up the stairs and felt dizzy when standing up...and that was the 65 reading I had. They should increase fairly quickly, and within a couple of weeks should be nicely on the rise. Though, they do say it takes months to get back to normal. Iron deficient anaemia is no big deal really, its so easy to treat. What DID freak me out was that 2 years ago I needed surgery, they did a blood test two weeks before and said I was anaemic (no surprise there lol) and needed a blood type incase I needed transfusion LOL !!!!

becca98
15-02-18, 16:29
Mine goes low because I am a vegetarian and have heavy 'you Know whats!' (perimenopausal). Years ago I took myself to the doctor the first time it happened as I was out of breath going up the stairs and felt dizzy when standing up...and that was the 65 reading I had. They should increase fairly quickly, and within a couple of weeks should be nicely on the rise. Though, they do say it takes months to get back to normal. Iron deficient anaemia is no big deal really, its so easy to treat. What DID freak me out was that 2 years ago I needed surgery, they did a blood test two weeks before and said I was anaemic (no surprise there lol) and needed a blood type incase I needed transfusion LOL !!!!

I had really heavy periods before I got pregnant so I’m really surprised it’s took me this long to become anaemic! But I also am a meat eater so I guess that helps a bit, although I did say after the baby I wanted to try cut out meat.. hopefully my iron raises so I can stick to this!

Oh yeah it’s my HB that’s low? (I probably sound dumb and that’s what it all means haha) I don’t know if that works out what sort of Amenia it is she just said my iron level is low at 95. confuses me so much ! I wish my doctors would of kept the numbers to herself because it confuses me then you wonder haha, oh my.. that would of freaked me out too, I hope you didn’t need one In the end? Bless you! Bloody (literally) periods aha

Catherine S
15-02-18, 17:24
Didn't the doctor or nurse tell you if it was ok or not while you were at the surgery?

Cath

becca98
15-02-18, 17:37
Didn't the doctor or nurse tell you if it was ok or not while you were at the surgery?

Cath

No I haven’t seen a doctor, I got tested for something else so they phoned me to say everything was fine but iron is low and to ring a doctor for a iron supplement

Fishmanpa
15-02-18, 17:43
No I haven’t seen a doctor, I got tested for something else so they phoned me to say everything was fine but iron is low and to ring a doctor for a iron supplement

So then why the worry? It's very, very common and not a big deal at all. Call, get the supps and be done with it.

Positive thoughts

becca98
15-02-18, 17:47
So then why the worry? It's very, very common and not a big deal at all. Call, get the supps and be done with it.

Positive thoughts

Thank you fish can always rely on you to put it straight haha [emoji4]

imabit2lil
18-02-18, 18:00
I have been anemic for more than half my life. Like many said it's highly recommended to eat food rich with iron or iron supplements. Although the supplements are known to leave you severely constipated.

Be careful especially since you are pregnant. If your iron level is too low you may experience dizzy spells/light headedness which can lead to a nasty spill. Make sure to sit down slowly when experiencing such symptoms and be careful.

Anaemia is manageable and in my experience is not that hard to keep up with. So please try not to worry too much

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

swgrl09
18-02-18, 18:14
Hi, I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant. About a month ago they told me my iron was too low and just had me start a supplement. It is SO common. Baby takes all your nutrients! lol

Carys
18-02-18, 19:03
38 weeks ! GULP :yahoo:

becca98
18-02-18, 19:05
Hi, I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant. About a month ago they told me my iron was too low and just had me start a supplement. It is SO common. Baby takes all your nutrients! lol

Ahh I’m 38 weeks too [emoji4] I didn’t feel bad though or anything I wouldn’t of known if it wasn’t picked up in another test, the tablets made me sick on first day but managing them now!!

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I have been anemic for more than half my life. Like many said it's highly recommended to eat food rich with iron or iron supplements. Although the supplements are known to leave you severely constipated.

Be careful especially since you are pregnant. If your iron level is too low you may experience dizzy spells/light headedness which can lead to a nasty spill. Make sure to sit down slowly when experiencing such symptoms and be careful.

Anaemia is manageable and in my experience is not that hard to keep up with. So please try not to worry too much

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I didn’t feel ill or anything with it luckily and started my supplements now, hoping I can skip the effects of the tablets as I have ibs as it is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
18-02-18, 19:11
Ferrous sulphate gave me indigestion and constipation (sowwwwyyyyy), However, if you have problems you can ask to swap to ferrous fumarate. It gives me neither of the problems, and seems gentler on the stomach and digestion process.

So, we have TWO babbies coming on the site very soon !!!!

becca98
18-02-18, 19:12
Ferrous sulphate gave me indigestion and constipation (sowwwwyyyyy), However, if you have problems you can ask to swap to ferrous fumarate. It gives me neither of the problems, and seems gentler on the stomach and digestion process.

So, we have TWO babbies coming on the site very soon !!!!

I’m on ferrous fumarate now [emoji4] two a day no idea why I couldn’t handle them the first day probably because I drank them with to much orange juice, glad it doesn’t seem to cause you any problems fingers crossed it’s the same here!!🤞🏼

Yes how exciting[emoji3] something to look forward too

swgrl09
18-02-18, 19:16
Yes, I suppose we do! I didn't feel anything other than tired when I was diagnosed, but I assumed I was supposed to feel tired at this point - I still do anyway! lol!