PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and medication

Astrid
08-12-04, 19:57
hello! I just have a real quick question to ask.... that may be useful for many peoplesince it involves the christmas period.. and more specificaly the alcohol at christmas parties.
I'm currently on Buspar and Xanax (when necessary) and both on very low doses. Everyone tells me that one shouldn't drink whilst being on medication... and i haven't had a drop since i'm taking these medications....
But now that the christmas parties are coming along and everyone is aiming atthe alcohol and me to the water or tonics, I was wondering whether it is ok to have one or two glasses of wine or spirits.. i'm not a big drinker at all... but i must admit that it was niceto have the odd drink here and there.. and i just really feel left out not having a drop at all and having to make silly excuses everytime people ask me why i'm not having alcohol?!
Any help or suggestions?

thank you :)

seh1980
08-12-04, 20:35
hello Astrid,

I don't drink at all while I'm on my medication but lots of people do. I think that it's fine to drink as long as you don't have too much. Because of the meds, the alcohol will hit you harder than if you weren't on the meds.

Sarah :D

vernon
08-12-04, 21:05
hi, I drank for years on all sorts of meds, not good i know but i got addicted trying to hide my problems when i should have faced them. If i wasnt addicted I would have a drink at christmas and I am sure its ok for you to have a couple as you dont seen the type of person to go over the top or drink every day. If you are not sure either read the leaflet that comes with your meds, look up at a good medicine guide on the web or ask your GP just to make u feel more at ease. take care Vernon

nomorepanic
08-12-04, 21:40
I continued to drink whilst on meds and had no adverse reactions.

When they say go careful with alcohol they are talking about a binge and excessive drinking so I am sure a couple of glasses will be fine.

If you are worried then make sure you drink loads of water as well at the same time.

I know what you mean about about an Xmas drink. It is my Xmas party at work tomorrow and I am driving so can't drink. I wasn't intending to drink a lot but you daren't drink even a few when driving now.

I am sure it will be fine

Nicola

xlauracx
12-12-04, 00:27
I wouldnt drink alcohal on meds, from experiance u will regret it worse the next day than alcohal alone!

~Laulz~

sal
12-12-04, 00:43
Hi Astrid

Think it is down to personal experience and how we react. I have drank on medication from the start, maybe not the right way forward but that is what consoles me.

Everyone is different and my best advice would be not to drink not for the medication sake but how much better you feel without it.

I really dont think it affects your medication to the degree the advice slip says but is does make our panic attacks, anxiety worse. I still drinnk and know i shouldnt but its a case of when is the right time to give it up.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

twister
13-12-04, 22:12
I drink on Cipralex, sometimes a lot (!) and it is fine. It actually says on the leaflet that there has been no known interaction found between alcohol and ssri's.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

ally mcbeal
20-12-04, 18:28
I was wondering the same thing.
To drink or not to drink that is the question?

The new year's eve is coming and I think I will drink something then. I'm off xanax now and I think with 50 mg of zoloft I take in the morning I can treat myself with two glases of wine.
I used to drink before when we went out or we would celebrate something, summer, beaches, wine.... those were the days.
I was not a big drinker but the fact that I can't drink at all is driving me crazy.

gemchanel
26-12-08, 19:41
Hi i am on seroxat and i drink alcohol i had quite a bit on christmas day and today my leg are twitcing on there on every now and then and im worried, does anyone else get twitching limbs?