PDA

View Full Version : Been on benzo's, want to try SSRI or something else

Nickneedshelp
16-02-18, 03:17
In 2012 i was diagnosed with "panic and anxiety disorder".
I've been on all of the benzodiazepines, clonazepam for the longest duration.

I suspect that the severe anxiety and panic stems from GAD, which i believe i've had since high school.

I was able to get off clonazepam a few years ago, yeah i had the whole withdrawal period for 1.5 afterwards and that sucked.

Lately some severe events have happened in my personal life, and will continue to happen for the next 6 months and i can't cope with it any longer.

I've reinstated clonazepam 0.25mg / day but it's barely working and i don't want to get hooked on benzo's again. (I also have diazepam in the medicine cabinet, perhaps that might be a better hoice for now?)

I want to try something else, perhaps an SSRI. So my question is, which SSRI is best for GAD and panic? I don't have depression..... yet.
I react very negatively to stimulants so it must not be too activating. Also i must be able to work and use my brain, i can't just sit in my chair like a zombie.
Many people rely on me financially, i have already had this nervous breakdown so i need to stabilize asap.

I see the shrink on March 1st, but he's not the brightest one.... so i doubt his expertise and recommendations.
In my country the shrinks are terrible.

What about you guys in the USA? Which SSRI is recommended there for GAD and panic?

Ofcourse i want to try non-medication therapy as well, but that will not be an option for the next 6 months.

Hope to hear some of your experiences. Thanks :)

WiseMonkey
16-02-18, 04:48
Hi,

Good on you for getting of the clonazepam but I would not go onto the diazepam which is another valium.

It would be best to see you own Dr and get and antidepressant from him/her. There are all sorts of antidepressants available SSRI's, SNRI's and others.

The good thing about these is they are not addictive, but they do take a while to build up in your system.

ana
16-02-18, 10:27
I'd definitely advise starting an SSRI or an SNRI as benzos are addictive and harmful in the long-run. Also, they provide time-limited relief whereas anti-depressants keep your anxiety levels in check throughout the day.
There's no single 'best' medication out there as everyone is different body-constitution wise as well as chemically and emotionally, so your doctor is the one who'll know which medication suits you best.
:flowers: