PDA

View Full Version : Why does anxiety cause so much gas?

Beckybecks
17-02-18, 18:49
I've just had an IBS flare up. Not sure what came first; the chest pains from trapped wind, followed by panic, followed by IBS flare-up and lots more anxiety and panic. One feeds the other.

Anyway I now just have all this gas which seems to get trapped in my chest and causes pain. I panic and this seems to cause more gas.

Anyone know what causes all the gas?

Anyone have any natural remedies they can recommend.

Catherine S
17-02-18, 19:42
I guess if you suffer with IBS you'll be familiar with trapped wind etc, but gas associated with anxiety is because anxious people tend to swallow more air. Breathing tends to be a bit gaspy and shallow rather than the deep breathing associated with relaxation. It's probably as simple as that Becky. I'm guilty of eating too quickly and this can also mean taking in more air.

Cath ☺

Beckybecks
17-02-18, 20:08
When I have IBS I hardly eat at all and then very slowly as the anxiety removes my appetite completely.
But I've noticed that whenever I have anxiety I start to burp, that's how my husband knows I'm anxious.
I wondered if there was another reason apart from swallowing air.
I've noticed on this forum that a lot of people suffer from chest pain associated with anxiety which I believe is from trapped gas.