PDA

View Full Version : This time it's definitely oral cancer

BrotatoChip
20-02-18, 14:16
Hello, haven't posted here in a while since I haven't had many health related problems to flare up my hypochondria but things have changed over the past two weeks. I'm a 22 year old fairly healthy male.

A few weeks ago I suddenly got really painful ulcers under my tongue. On and under the "flap" that's under your tongue that made eating, speaking and generally moving my tongue really hard. Then I got one more extremely painful ulcer behind lower lip, but this one didn't look like an ulcer, more like a white crater. So I had around 5 ulcers simultaneously.

As the ulcers healed pretty well after using some medicinal gel on them for a week, a new problem arose. The left side of my tongue started hurting. It hurts to touch and I can feel it get chafed on my teeth just by having my mouth closed. Upon closer inspection in front of the mirror I noticed the sides of my tongue have become sort of "ribbed" and whitened.

At this point I'm definitely 100% convinced it's oral cancer. The rational part of me tells me to wait at least a few days but the hypochondriac part of me wants to rush to the hospital to get it checked out. Reading about oral cancer survival rates also hasn't done me any favors and already caused me a few sleepless nights.

Fishmanpa
20-02-18, 14:40
I'm a 22 year old fairly healthy male.

As the ulcers healed pretty well after using some medicinal gel on them for a week, a new problem arose. The left side of my tongue started hurting. It hurts to touch and I can feel it get chafed on my teeth just by having my mouth closed.

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I'm an oral cancer survivor. That's not how it presents. I would see your dentist as it sounds like your teeth are causing the issue on your tongue.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
20-02-18, 14:42
"This time doesn't have to be oral cancer"

Sounds like your teeth rubbing to me. Go and see a dentist and get them to look at it.

BrotatoChip
20-02-18, 15:16
It's more the appearance of my tongue that's concerning me. The lateral sides are whitened and as I said, sort of ribbed.

If problems persist I'll see a dentist/mouth hygienist/doctor next week.

venusbluejeans
20-02-18, 15:24
white tongue - Normal build up of debris, bacteria and dead cells getting lodged between the enlarged and sometimes inflamed papillae.

give your tongue a brush as well as your teeth!

Ribbed Tongue - you google and get cancer.... I google and get this..

A variety of oral symptoms may originate from high levels of stress or anxiety These include jaw pain teeth grinding, and pressing your tongue against your teeth. Over a long period of time, pressing your tongue against your teeth can leave indentations.

Carys
20-02-18, 15:28
Tooth clenching, very clearly causes 'ribbing' and whiteish lines down the sides of the tongue. I know I've had it.

Edited to add -

Oh just read the post above, yes, my tongue when tense is pressed hard to the roof of my mouth and into my teeth, and gives the appearance exactly as the OP described.

jojo0328
20-02-18, 18:55
It sounds like geographic tounge to me. Its very normal and totally benign.