PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to stop Health Anxiety

bcthomp83
21-02-18, 16:32
So, last week I "had" a blood clot in my leg, this week I "have" cancer. When I was five I saw a program on TV about Aids, and sure enough, I "had" aids.
(Just to clarify, the quotes are there as a marker to mean that I actually DO NOT have any of these issue...)

Anytime I read/hear about some disease, I am convinced that I have that disease. I think in the last month I was having a heart attack 3-5 times, general anxiety, stroke once, blood clots in the legs, and now cancer. It's quite exhausting.

Is there anything that I can do to help change this? I mean, I know it's in my head, but what are your techniques at getting over this health anxiety? Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. I know the big one is to stay off Google. I'm interested to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance.

nomorepanic
21-02-18, 16:59
Hi

We have quite a few posts about this so have a look around and please read the sticky threads in the HA forum as they will be useful too.

Elliejane44
21-02-18, 20:07
I struggle with health anxiety for years like most people on here .

Just some suggestions that may or may not help

No google ( I struggle to do this but when I don't it helps )
Keep busy (when I most busy at work I always have less health anxiety )
Exercise outside even just long walks. I play the anxiety guy podcasts when I walk or just radio programs
Yoga
CBT
Someone good to talk too either family or friends
Mindfulness .
Helping others . I just signed up for befriending

I have good months on end then long periods of anxiety from a trigger .

It horrible

Ellie

bcthomp83
07-04-18, 00:44
Thank you for your suggestions. I have not been officially diagnosed with anxiety so I am not sure it REALLY is anxiety, but from what I have read (not always a good thing) it sounds like it could be. I am in need of a health checkup anyways, so that might help eliminate some worries if I get a clean bill of health! ��

Fishmanpa
07-04-18, 01:06
I have not been officially diagnosed with anxiety so I am not sure it REALLY is anxiety, but from what I have read (not always a good thing) it sounds like it could be.

What you described is almost text book HA.

Read this! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211324)

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
07-04-18, 04:02
One of the best techniques for me to help cope with anxiety (I have general anxiety too, not just health issues) was something I learned from a counselor I saw.

When you have a symptom, or an issue which causes you anxiety, just tell yourself it is anxiety and accept that it is, in fact, anxiety. Once I learned to truly accept anxiety for what it was, it loses a bit of power over you and the obsessive circular thoughts.

This simple technique took a long time for me to practice, but it has paid massive dividends. When anxiety comes knocking, I am often able to dispel its hold before it really gets to me.