PDA

View Full Version : IBD or cancer??

Honeynut
22-02-18, 01:16
A little backstory about my stomach - it’s always been sensitive. I can eat something and within half an hour I’m in agony on the toilet but I’ve been like this for years and it’s not every day.

About a year and a half ago I had diarrhea and pain when going to the bathroom for six months straight. I was referred to a gastroenterologist but by the time a colonoscopy had been offered to me it had stopped so I thought I might have a touch of ibs or had had a stomach infection that led to ibs or something.

Only, almost two months ago it came back. The exact same as it was before except in the last two weeks I’ve begun bleeding with every single bowel movement. The pain I’m in when I go to the toilet is excruciating, it feels like labor pains but once the movement is over, the pain goes away. The blood is red and mixed in with the stool and all over the tissue. It’s not excessive but enough for me to see in the stool. There’s also lots of mucus, especially in the morning.

I had a stool test done but the original doctor told me my result was borderline however when I began losing blood, I went back as an emergency and another doctor told me my inflammation levels were very high in the bowel and the fact I’m losing blood now makes him think it’s IBD. They used my stool sample to
Rule out IBS

However, I can’t shake the feeling it’s something more. I haven’t been examined to look for lumps or swellings and the fact there’s blood in every bowel movement is scaring me. I’m awaiting a colonoscopy appointment which the dr has rushed through and he’s already started me on steroids.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I’m starting to make myself even more sick by being so stressed. Has anybody ever experienced something like this? I’m 27 which I think is why the doctor isn’t even mentioning the dreaded C word.

Jenni855
22-02-18, 09:46
Cancer doesn't come and go. Does sound like IBD but like me it is strange how the symptoms disappear and then come back. Let us know how you get on, am in a very similar position to you right now.

Melonpony
23-02-18, 05:46
A little backstory about my stomach - it’s always been sensitive. I can eat something and within half an hour I’m in agony on the toilet but I’ve been like this for years and it’s not every day.

About a year and a half ago I had diarrhea and pain when going to the bathroom for six months straight. I was referred to a gastroenterologist but by the time a colonoscopy had been offered to me it had stopped so I thought I might have a touch of ibs or had had a stomach infection that led to ibs or something.

Only, almost two months ago it came back. The exact same as it was before except in the last two weeks I’ve begun bleeding with every single bowel movement. The pain I’m in when I go to the toilet is excruciating, it feels like labor pains but once the movement is over, the pain goes away. The blood is red and mixed in with the stool and all over the tissue. It’s not excessive but enough for me to see in the stool. There’s also lots of mucus, especially in the morning.

I had a stool test done but the original doctor told me my result was borderline however when I began losing blood, I went back as an emergency and another doctor told me my inflammation levels were very high in the bowel and the fact I’m losing blood now makes him think it’s IBD. They used my stool sample to
Rule out IBS

However, I can’t shake the feeling it’s something more. I haven’t been examined to look for lumps or swellings and the fact there’s blood in every bowel movement is scaring me. I’m awaiting a colonoscopy appointment which the dr has rushed through and he’s already started me on steroids.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and I’m starting to make myself even more sick by being so stressed. Has anybody ever experienced something like this? I’m 27 which I think is why the doctor isn’t even mentioning the dreaded C word.Sounds like an IBD to me. Possibly crohns based on the blood, but maybe just a microscopic problem coupled with hemmoroids. Keep us posted, but it's not cancer. That wouldn't come and go, and I do not believe it causes agony on the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Honeynut
25-02-18, 17:12
The doctor started me on steroids because he’s almost certain it’s IBD and I’ve since had an examination of my abdomen to feel for lumps, a rectal examination, and x ray and blood tests (anemia, liver function etc etc) all of which have come back absolutely clear. I’m still losing blood that’s mixed in with my stool though and I honestly can’t shake the fear that it’s cancer, especially as I’ve has stomach issues for years but have never bled before now.

I’m not sure how any of the tests I’ve had can detect cancer but I can’t have my colonoscopy until may and I’m terrified. The blood isn’t black or extremely dark but it’s mixed in with the stool (which is still loose) and the only things I see about IBD and blood it all sounds like it should pour into the toilet bowl rather than be turning my stool red

Jenni855
25-02-18, 17:45
Your situation is very similar to mine especially with the clear blood tests. Mine showed slight iron deficiency and high red blood platelets but white cells/B12 /everything else was all fine.
I am surprised your doctor has started you on steroids with no actual diagnosis, does anyone know if this is the done thing? I thought IBD could only be diagnosed through endoscopy/colonscopy.
Believe me, if your doctor thought for one second you had BC you would not be waiting till May for a colonscopy.
There is still a possibility it could be IBS with internal piles.... your doctor sounds like mine. Quick to jump to IBD. Try and put the cancer fears out of your head although I know that is easier said then done. As I said before, cancer doesn't come and go.

Honeynut
25-02-18, 17:53
Your situation is very similar to mine especially with the clear blood tests. Mine showed slight iron deficiency and high red blood platelets but white cells/B12 /everything else was all fine.
I am surprised your doctor has started you on steroids with no actual diagnosis, does anyone know if this is the done thing? I thought IBD could only be diagnosed through endoscopy/colonscopy.
Believe me, if your doctor thought for one second you had BC you would not be waiting till May for a colonscopy.
There is still a possibility it could be IBS with internal piles.... your doctor sounds like mine. Quick to jump to IBD. Try and put the cancer fears out of your head although I know that is easier said then done. As I said before, cancer doesn't come and go.
I was surprised too but he was going off my stool sample showing inflammation and the fact I began losing blood and was really upset about it. I had hoped I maybe had piles but the doctor didn’t mention anything after my recital examination? It’s just such a frustrating and worrying time and I’m struggling to eat because of anxiety over going to the bathroom.

Jenni855
25-02-18, 18:43
I know exactly how you feel as am going through exactly the same.
My stool sample showed inflammation and I also have had periods of long bouts of diarrhoea going back to last October. Nobody mentioned steroids to me.
My auntie had bleeding piles and it never got picked up by the doctor but she is ok now. So it is still a possibility. I wish doctors were not so quick to diagnose based on one or two tests. As everyone keeps telling me, the only way for sure of knowing if you have an IBD is through a colonscopy/endoscopy.

You have my sympathies. I know how hard the waiting and worrying is x