PDA

View Full Version : paxil

Chris0531
09-12-04, 02:39
How many paxil users here? I'm 3 weeks on it 40 mg,but hearing all this neg stuff about it ..weight gain , hard to get off ,etc scares me.Is that just my anxiety or should I be concerned? I'm always worried anyway....now this,pls help!

Meg
09-12-04, 05:45
Hi Chris

There is no doubt that Paxil/ Seroxat is getting a barage of bad press.

It is reputed to add weight .

It has helped millions of people very effectively too - so its not all bad news

If you're worried - do discuss it with your doctor and maybe you might choose to switch to something else. DO NOT come off it suddenly - you must wean off very slowly.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

vernon
09-12-04, 14:12
hi, welcome to nmp. I too was prescribed paxil and was worried like you too so i went to Doctor and asked if I could change to a different SSRI which he did, but as Meg says its only the media giving paxil a bad name? and sure its helped many more than its made ill but media never say the good things about anything. take care Vernon

Chris0531
09-12-04, 21:09
Vernon which did you change too?I tried lexapro before this,made my anxiety crawl the walls!Is your new med working?Chris

Chris

vernon
09-12-04, 21:38
hi chris, I was on prozac for 5 weeks and felt wort, hard to breath and tight chest so i changed to ciprralex 8 days ago. but still having a hard time with my chest. must be the anxiety and not the meds.

vernon
09-12-04, 21:41
oh is that chrisxoxo?

Chris0531
09-12-04, 22:10
Think thats the same as lexapro? Anyway,I tried that for 2 weeks,it drove my anxiety up the walls,hope you have better luck,paxils actually helping my anxiety & depression. Guess i'd rather have my mind then be skinny or whatever.It's parania for me i'm sure....always worried,hoping that gets better.

arbie
09-12-04, 23:13
Paxil (aka Seroxat here in the UK) was the first anti-depressant I was prescribed and it had a very bad affect on me - I only managed for two days, it was that bad.

I have also known others who have had bad side effects, but I also know of some who have benefited by being on it.

The thing is, we all react different to various ADs. And it can take a while to find the one which works best for you. I've been on many and had bad side effects with many, the one I am on at the moment has the least side effects with me and I plan to continue taking it for a while as I can manage it better than most.

I'm not sure what it is called in the US, but Cipramil is quite popular here in the UK. It works well for Panic Disorder, Anxiety, and depression. Although when I first took it I went to hell and back. If you do suffer from Panic, then try taking the lowest dose possible of any AD and only go on higher doses when you can handle the side effects.

Hope you find one that works for you. Take care. :)