PDA

View Full Version : Nausea and sickness

Nibbles
06-07-07, 18:27
Hi everyone,

I've recently been suffering with nausea and actual vomiting when I feel panicky. As you can imagine this is frustrating because it imposes restrictions on what I'm doing. I realise the sickness is connected closely to my psyche because I'm fine afterwards and my biggest fear is being sick in public. At the moment I'm taking root ginger capsules and not giving in to avoidance which I hope will slowly turn my psyche around.

Does anybody else suffer from vomiting when anxious as I've read a few threads about nausea but not actual sickness? What I'm looking for is just a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only one. Sorry for the thread as I know it's not very pleasant reading.

Take care,

nomorepanic
06-07-07, 18:37
Hiya Mike

Sorry you are not so good.

You don't have a touch of acid type indigestion do you cos that makes me sick?

Also you could try soda water or tonic water as Meg says the sick feeling is a build up of gases and that will make you burp and may relieve it.

Just a thought.

Hope you feel better soon.

Piglet
06-07-07, 18:41
Very big well done for not letting it stop you trying to do stuff Mike!! :yesyes:

My probs are more the other end when I get anxious :blush: so I'm not a lot of help really.

Love Piglet :flowers:

littleone
08-07-07, 21:23
Hi nibbles
I suffer really bad with nausea and sickness, sometimes i am sick and sometimes gag, mainly feel nausea all the time, it kills me, I was diagnosed with PND and Anxiety in Jan after my baby girl was two weeks old, its been a struggle, have a CPN come to see me every two weeks and starting CBT next week, also on meds Citalopram 40mg, I have been having some bad days this week, its the constant nausea, I hate it, I just panic over nothing, as soon as I do my symtoms kick in (sickness) How bad do you feel, after reading your thread I feel I am not alone, I am always thinking I am not going to get better, but evryone I see says I will, as I reconised this early and not left it untreated, had PND and Anxiety with my first soon 7 years ago, and unfortunalely got it again, but even worse, lifes so unfair, sorry for going on, please tell me about your symtoms, how long have you been feeling like this.
Hope to hear from you soon

ItWillPass
08-07-07, 21:50
I sometimes actually throw up when anxious. But, I think it has to do with my ears. I get sea sick basically when anxious. So, this makes me start gagging, and once I gag, I may actually throw up. I do find that at times I try to throw up, jsut to get it over with. It is helpful to try to distract yourself with something else instead. Anyway... I know how unplesant it is... keep us posted on your progress.

jill
08-07-07, 22:50
Hi Mike,

I am sooo sorry to hear you have to go through this, my heart goes out to you. I know only too well how this symptom of feeling sick and being sick can effect evey walk of your life.

My daughter suffered pa's anxiety from a very young age, ( 3 years old) this was her main symptom, feeling sick and being sick. Will not go to much into detail on this, but it was very scary for her and me at the time.

Her symptoms of feeling sick and being sick went over time, as she learned not to give in and avoid things and feed her negative thoughts.

She is 13 now and doing very well, the last time she vomited becasue of her anxiety was last year, she had a pa in school (large blip) and found it very hard to go back to school, when she was trying to go back to school going in very slow one lesson at a time, she did vomit a few times, but faced her fears head on, ohhh brave girl I am soo pround of her. She has not had this symptom since.

She may feel unwell when she has a problem in school, but works her way through it.

It is strange when you say you are fine after you vomit, my daughter was like that in the early years, she would have, what I used to call a funny turn, look funny, say she felt unwell, then vomit and feel fine after, mmm I use to think that was very strange, but now I have been there myself a few years ago, having pa's and high anxiety myself, thats why I joind this site, nothing seems strange when it comes down to pa's and anxiety, there are many, many strange symptoms.

I did have to teach my daughter NOT to be scared of being sick, always carred a sick bag, tried dame hard NOT to let her avoid things, but you know how hard this can be. The sick bags I got off a plane, every time we went away or a family memeber went on a plane, I would ask them to get me the sick bags, had lots of them.

You are sooooo right in NOT avoiding things, I know how hard this is for you, but you are doing GREAT, be proud of yourself, this helps you move forward too, looking at how well you are doing. You can turn things around and in time this symptoms will pass.

Mike, I hope this has help a little even if its just knowing you are not alone and this IS a symptoms of anxiety and one that CAN be beatin, in time.

You take care,

LOVE JILLXX

Ellen70
09-07-07, 02:11
Hi Mike,
Like Piglet, it is the other end that bothers me when I have high anxiety, but I know you are a fighter and that you don't give in to the nausea problem. Hopefully the ginger capsules will start working soon. I have also heard that hynosis can be good for specific phobias like being ill in public, not sure if you would consider this.

Take care

Eibhlin x

manmoor
09-07-07, 10:19
I just wanna give me good mucks a big hug :hugs: xxxxx

flatterycat
09-07-07, 10:47
When my anxiety is high I lose my appetite and throw up everyday. Horrible! You are not alone.

littleone
09-07-07, 18:37
hi flatterycat, how do you cope? I have what you have no appetite and feel sick most of the time it does sort of get better in the evening but never know when, how long have you been feeling like this. love to hear from anyone with advice just feel that i will never get better and it will be with me till the day i die, want to be normal and enjoy my kids especailly my 6 months old baby girl

Lindalou64
09-07-07, 20:02
HI MIKE.I GET THIS LIKE EVERY OTHER MONTH I GET SO NAUSEAS AND VOMIT...NOT GOOD I KNOW......BEEN TO DOCTORS SEVERAL TIMES FOR IT...THEY TOLD ME IT WAS ALL STRESS...IM LIKE CANT BE IVE BEEN STRESSED OUT MOST OF MY LIFE AND NOTHING LIKE THIS MAYBE BUTTERFLYS IN BELLY BUT NO VOMIT SICK.......BUT I GUESS SHE WAS RIGHT IN MY CASE ANYWAYS IT LAST ME LIKE 2TO 3 WEEKS AND I CANT EAT FOOD WONT DIGEST THEY GAVE ME A MEDICATION CALLED PROMETHAZINE WHICH DID CALM THE STOMACHE AND STOPS YOU FROM VOMITTING ITS A MED THO YOU CANT BE ON FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME, HAVE YOU FOUND YOURSELF MORE STRESSED LATLEY? I WISH YA THE BEST..........LINDA XX

Nibbles
09-07-07, 21:19
You lot are so brill! Thanks for all the advice and support. It's such a comfort to know you're not alone. :bighug1:

At the moment I work at a library on Saturdays and also when called in for cover. I've got myself back to work for a while now after some time off but the anxiety's still been up and down. To try and gain a bit more consistency I decided to work Wednesday mornings voluntarily. Last Wednesday was a bit of a bummer for me which is why I decided to post this thread. When I was driving to work I felt tense and edgy which brought on the silly thought 'What if I feel sick in the car?'. Once I'd thought this the nausea increased very quickly and I wasn't able to get out of the car before being sick. :blush: Obviously I had to return home but didn't feel too disheartened because it was practical reasons rather than an anxious thought that made me turn around. Fortunately last Saturday was a lot better for me and I managed to keep my breakfast down. I was really nervous and apprehensive of course and did suffer a few waves of panic but stuck it out. By about mid morning the anxiety had died down and I had a good day at work.

Littleone, I've been taking root ginger capsules recently and I do find they help. One morning I woke up feeling nauseous but a short while after taking a capsule I began to feel better. Distraction also helps me and on the drive to work on Saturday I listened to a tape of the Lord of the Rings which I'd bought especially. I also told myself that thoughts equal feelings so keep those positive thoughts coming.

Take care,

Piglet
09-07-07, 23:43
Well done Mike for a good lot of sensible rationalising - I'm sure this nausea etc will calm down hun.

Love Piglet :flowers:

jill
10-07-07, 00:08
Hi Mike,

Its good to hear things where better on sat, thats great news, be pround of yourself. You are doing all the right things in changing those thoughts, to more positive one's. WELL DONE YOU.

You say you have waves of panic. What I found helped me move forward a little was to change my thoughts on panic too, try to make things less important, intead of calling it panic, call it anxiety, make yourself feel that whats going on is less important, little changes help sooo much.

For instance today. I felt great, popped off to town with mum and my son to get hubby's b-day present. We got it, so went of to the musem, for a look around. ohhh BAM, a hiccup in the musem, (me making less important) I just felt like I was going to hit the deck, the need to lay down was sooooo overwhelming, a small anxiety attack (me making things less important) I did lay down in the musem on a coach, not giving it a thought what people may think.

Mum helped to calm me down, she said "you maybe going through the change" I replied, " haaaaa I am fair to young for that" LOL (ditraction)

What I am saying is, the tiny little changes help too, nothing is to small to help us move on, no matter how silly you think it maybe.

It has taken me along time to learn when I feel strong anxiety, NOT TO think ohhhh nooo PANIC.

I went on to have a good day, but felt tierd when I come home, so I had a sleep, feel better now.

You are doing great, keep up the good work.

LOVE JILLXX

Nibbles
11-07-07, 17:23
Hi lovely people :)

Just a little update to let you know I went to work again today for the morning and my tummy behaved. :yesyes: As with last Saturday I was nervous when getting ready but I was ok when actually working. The drive in was alright too although my mum took me in today because my car's at the garage. I'm hoping some casual work will come my way soon so I can see how things go with a few extra hours.

Thanks again for all your support it helps more than words can express.

Take care,

Nibbs :hugs:

jakob
11-07-07, 22:07
I don't know what your situation/view is with medication but if you are using/trying anti-depressants to control the anxiety then Mirtazapine is good as it also significantly reduces nausea (not all side effects are bad, just most of them :) ).

Jakob.

looking4answers
02-08-07, 08:33
Two very good things I have found for this..An ice cold soda...diet or non diet.. and or Ice water..Dont know why it helps just does..Try it..better than all that other stuff you are using and yes it happens to me a lot.. Michael

Hi everyone,

I've recently been suffering with nausea and actual vomiting when I feel panicky. As you can imagine this is frustrating because it imposes restrictions on what I'm doing. I realise the sickness is connected closely to my psyche because I'm fine afterwards and my biggest fear is being sick in public. At the moment I'm taking root ginger capsules and not giving in to avoidance which I hope will slowly turn my psyche around.

Does anybody else suffer from vomiting when anxious as I've read a few threads about nausea but not actual sickness? What I'm looking for is just a bit of reassurance that I'm not the only one. Sorry for the thread as I know it's not very pleasant reading.

Take care,