PDA

View Full Version : cant't tolerate sertraline, so now what?

Wilburis
06-07-07, 23:48
Hi

I really dont think I can tolerate sertraline. Have increased from 50mg to 75mg and am getting daily headaches. Initially, I had headaches for 6 weeks!!!!!!!

Now Ive had them for 2 weeks since the increase.

Just wondered, is there anyone out there who couldnt tolerate sertraline and what did your doctor put you on instead and did this help?

I still feel anxious, my doc wants to increase the dose again, but I feel I cant because of the side effects!

Thanks - Liz xx

olichris
07-07-07, 10:42
Hi there,

You are not alone, I could only tolerate sertraline for one day !

The pain in my head was like someone stuck a red hot poker in it and it increased my anxiety massively.

You dont say if you have tried any other medications but for me citalopram was much more tolerable. I did start on a very low dose however using the liquid version which lets you do this and eventually worke my way up to the "therapeutic" dose of 20 mg.

Reactions to these medications are however often very individual and you might find yourself fine on any of the other ssris or indeed a trycyclic.

I notice ( if my maths is correct !) that you have been on this for 6-8 weeks, thats many doctors view of how long an antidepressant should take to at least start having a positive effect, maybe you could discuss this with the doc ?! ( assuming he doesnt just use this as a reason to up the dose again !)

Look after yourself

olichris

Wilburis
08-07-07, 15:33
Hi Thanks for replying.

Its nice to know Im not the only one!!

I think I may have worked out why Im getting headaches all the time, my husband has noticed I clench and grind my teeth!!! Im not even aware of this. Do you think this could be a side effect of sertraline?

What sort of side effects did you have on your new meds?

Thanks - Liz xx

olichris
09-07-07, 14:15
Hi again,

I beleive that teeth grinding is one of the possible side effects of an SSRI,
so as you say it may be indirectly causing headaches via jaw tension - maybe a dentist could help with this ??
I actually take three medications, propranolol (for headaches !!) - no side effects so far.
Citalopram 2.5-5mg - but I was on 20 mg, the major side effect was when I started - needed to go to the loo a lot !! - but thats all.
Xanax - only occasionally - no side effects at all !

I have in my time taken a lot more with bad side effects, sertraline, librium and amisulpride were pretty bad.

You might want to discuss with your doc the idea of starting another ( if you feel ok with the idea) with a lower starting dose, or the liquid so you can control the dose more.

I hope this is if use to you, trying to find a med that helps and does more good than harm is a pig, but in my case well worth it at the end.

Look after yourself

olichris