PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin diarrhea

thyer64
24-02-18, 18:20
I've been taking amoxicillin for the past 3 days to cure a bad case of strep throat. Symtpoms re strep throat have subsided massively almost on the brink of normal..however today I passed watery diarrhea twice so far (potentially a 3rd soon). Must I stop the antibiotics immediately or is 2/3 per day a "normal" side-effect?

The worry more than water loss is C.Diff, however that I think affected elderly more so (I'm 20).

Also currently take probiotics

fruitandnutlover
01-03-18, 11:40
The probiotic, saccharomyces boulardii is supposed to be very good for antibiotic induced diarrhoea. It gets very positive reviews online.

josh1987
03-07-19, 06:22
How'd you go with that

jalapeno1234
03-07-19, 10:24
Glad to see someone else suffered as I did, unfortunately for some of us it's knocked my guts out for the past two months :( . Docs don't believe it could be anything else but ibs so I'm gonna take a stool sample in tomorrow as this has been a nightmare

glittery
11-07-19, 07:19
My IBS or whatever started after taking amoxicillin for a strep throat too. Had completely normal everything before this, but after that I had constant diarrhea for a week which caused an anal fissure (or fissures). I still have the fissure flaring up every now and then.

What I did wrong was that instead of taking probiotics or asking the doctor for help for the side effect, I panicked for days and weeks that I might have cancer. This made the fissure and ibs worse.

I do suggest please try yogurt. If it continues ask the doctor to give you an extra med for the side effect.

Kingdawson
11-07-19, 15:49
I took 2 different antibiotics for treating hpylori (amoxicillin and another one). Before taking them I didn't experience diahhrea for months...after taking them my stomach has still not recovered. No pain but still get bouts of diahrrea and gassy stomach. It's crazy what anti biotics can do even 4 months on.

Kingdawson
11-07-19, 15:51
Actually it's nearer to 6 months on.

jalapeno1234
11-07-19, 16:22
i cant believe how stupid I was to take them - I refused to for days until I felt childish and my fingernail infection was looking pretty damn severe. On one hand I have my thumb back but a destroyed gut. Test results coming back good but the issue remains, I get constipation lots these days too which is better but i see light/sandy stool lots ... did you get a stool test kingdawson?

Kingdawson
14-07-19, 18:20
i cant believe how stupid I was to take them - I refused to for days until I felt childish and my fingernail infection was looking pretty damn severe. On one hand I have my thumb back but a destroyed gut. Test results coming back good but the issue remains, I get constipation lots these days too which is better but i see light/sandy stool lots ... did you get a stool test kingdawson?

Yep stool test to diagnose hpylori. Tbh the only real symptom I had when diagnosed was a rumbling/loud stomach so maybe I shouldn't have even bothered taking the antibiotics.