PDA

View Full Version : new puppy and extreme anxiety

petrichoram
24-02-18, 23:29
This is my first post here because i just couldn’t find anywhere else to go. I just got a new puppy yesterday because my mom thought it would be a good idea to have something to hang out with since i’m alone all the time. I’m 14 years old. I’m literally crying and freaking out right now because i can’t handle this. I prepared for a while but was not ready for this. I was up a lot of last night with her and i couldn’t put her in her crate because she whines and i felt really bad. She always has to be right by my side or else she’ll whine. I can’t barely read, watch youtube, it watch tv anymore. Almost all my attention is in her. I feel like i can handle the pee and poop but for some reason i am getting very anxious and upset. I feel very pathetic for acting this way. I’m gonna try to start training her soon. I just have stress with school and now this. I can’t handle it. Does anyone at all have any tips to calm me down or help with the puppy? I play with her a lot and even went on a little walk with her. She’s an 8 week springer spaniel. I just put her in her crate so i could clear my head and write this but i can hear her crying and i feel horrible. I’m just waiting for my mom to come home and because she said she’s take her for a while. I just am breaking over this. I just feel so bad putting. her in her cage. I feel like she deserves more than me as an owner even though i’m trying my best. I don’t wanna try to return her because i wanna try to raise her and my family would be disappointed in me because i really wanted her too and said i’d take care of her. I just didn’t wanna be alone and i don’t feel that comfortable with other people so i wanted to get her

nok_tok
24-02-18, 23:59
Hi there

I wrote a very similar post a few years ago, puppys are lovely and they take time to settle, when i got my jack russell puppy i got my pup a few tears sgo, i slso have 3 kids.. i started to feel overwhelmed and got completely paranoid that she was acually a bull terrier and would attack my family, compety untrue but at the time my mind was doing overtime.. you are quite young, could you not get help from family members as it is a lot to expect to bring up the pup by yourself.

I did re adopt my pup to my friends sister, she is a lovely loving dog now and i do feel guilty but at the time i really couldnt cope, alot of people say that dogs do help them with anxiety. Unfortunately the puppy stage can be quite demanding

petrichoram
25-02-18, 00:40
Hi there

I wrote a very similar post a few years ago, puppys are lovely and they take time to settle, when i got my jack russell puppy i got my pup a few tears sgo, i slso have 3 kids.. i started to feel overwhelmed and got completely paranoid that she was acually a bull terrier and would attack my family, compety untrue but at the time my mind was doing overtime.. you are quite young, could you not get help from family members as it is a lot to expect to bring up the pup by yourself.

I did re adopt my pup to my friends sister, she is a lovely loving dog now and i do feel guilty but at the time i really couldnt cope, alot of people say that dogs do help them with anxiety. Unfortunately the puppy stage can be quite demanding

my mom takes her like every once in a while. I think i can decently take care of the puppy it’s just i have very bad anxiety about it and i don’t know why. I’ve calmed down a bit now. Thanks for the response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-18, 02:03
Have a reads through this thread which is probably the one nok tok means:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34189&highlight=puppy

You will see others struggling but then how it changes as they get used to having a puppy. There are other threads just like this but this is the longest one.

petrichoram
25-02-18, 02:07
Have a reads through this thread which is probably the one nok tok means:

You will see others struggling but then how it changes as they get used to having a puppy. There are other threads just like this but this is the longest one.

I’ll read through it. Thank you for replying

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-18, 02:15
It's worth a read as there is advice on there. I've posted on there a few times myself to say how I went through all the same when we had a new puppy and how this will change for you.

It can feel overwhelming, it's a responsibility, it brings change into people with problems dealing with change & uncertainty. But don't react now, see how things go because anxiety tends to calm down the more you feel comfortable in the new situation. The pressure will fade and your love for your new friend will be stronger than it.

I'm sure Bigboyuk will see your thread when he's back on and he always tries to help with training tips. You will see him on that thread and others.

petrichoram
25-02-18, 02:30
It's worth a read as there is advice on there. I've posted on there a few times myself to say how I went through all the same when we had a new puppy and how this will change for you.

It can feel overwhelming, it's a responsibility, it brings change into people with problems dealing with change & uncertainty. But don't react now, see how things go because anxiety tends to calm down the more you feel comfortable in the new situation. The pressure will fade and your love for your new friend will be stronger than it.

I'm sure Bigboyuk will see your thread when he's back on and he always tries to help with training tips. You will see him on that thread and others.

i’ve already calmed quite a bit. Thank you for sending me that link. It’s a lot more stressful for me than I thought it would be but hopefully It’ll get better. Again, thank you for responding, it helps a lot

nok_tok
25-02-18, 09:17
Can i just add..

One of the main factors on rehoming my pup was due to my youngest child ( then 5) was terrified of her which was one of the deciding factors. I did find i had a lack of sleep and she was barking through the night which annoyed my neighbours.

Anyway, im 35 now but when i was 13 we got a family dog. He was my pup and although i did get some help from my mum initially, i successfully raised him until he was 16 years old . he was my close buddy and gave me so much love and a connection.once they get through the puppy stage they do become less demanding and more independent and obviously learn to go toilet by themselves outside

petrichoram
25-02-18, 12:30
Can i just add..

One of the main factors on rehoming my pup was due to my youngest child ( then 5) was terrified of her which was one of the deciding factors. I did find i had a lack of sleep and she was barking through the night which annoyed my neighbours.

Anyway, im 35 now but when i was 13 we got a family dog. He was my pup and although i did get some help from my mum initially, i successfully raised him until he was 16 years old . he was my close buddy and gave me so much love and a connection.once they get through the puppy stage they do become less demanding and more independent and obviously learn to go toilet by themselves outside

thank you. That helped quite a bit. I’ll just have to get used to her

Bigboyuk
25-02-18, 13:40
Hi petrichoram It's a huge responsibility bringing up a new puppy. It's normal for a 8 week old puppy to latch on to some one in the 'Pack' While I am not a keen lover on crateing new puppies (never did with my dog who is just over 10 years old now) but some owners swear by it. Ok few tips to make the transistion to the crate a happier one is get a old t shirt with your body odour on it and in the crate have a blanket under the blanket have a ticking alarm clock but turn the alarm off this will resemble the mothers heartbeat then on top of blanket put old t shirt your body odour will reassure the pup that you are the new mother :) Also put some toys in the crate and don't close the door on the crate to start with it's not a punishment in the crate it's the puppy safe place to chill.

Also remember a puppy only has a small bladder so will need frequent trips to go for potty always praise her for going outside and never tell her off if she has accident inside as this can set back any progress she has made and don't forget the complete course of vacs and worming that is essential for a puppy after 12 weeks she will be allowed out to meet other dogs and people, how ever this can still take place so long as you don't put the puppy on the ground as diseases can be transferred to a young puppy easily. And as for training things like sit/stay/come here/leave it etc this can start now puppies are very quick learners too Any further questions don't hesitate to ask ATB

petrichoram
25-02-18, 14:24
Hi petrichoram It's a huge responsibility bringing up a new puppy. It's normal for a 8 week old puppy to latch on to some one in the 'Pack' While I am not a keen lover on crateing new puppies (never did with my dog who is just over 10 years old now) but some owners swear by it. Ok few tips to make the transistion to the crate a happier one is get a old t shirt with your body odour on it and in the crate have a blanket under the blanket have a ticking alarm clock but turn the alarm off this will resemble the mothers heartbeat then on top of blanket put old t shirt your body odour will reassure the pup that you are the new mother :) Also put some toys in the crate and don't close the door on the crate to start with it's not a punishment in the crate it's the puppy safe place to chill.

Also remember a puppy only has a small bladder so will need frequent trips to go for potty always praise her for going outside and never tell her off if she has accident inside as this can set back any progress she has made and don't forget the complete course of vacs and worming that is essential for a puppy after 12 weeks she will be allowed out to meet other dogs and people, how ever this can still take place so long as you don't put the puppy on the ground as diseases can be transferred to a young puppy easily. And as for training things like sit/stay/come here/leave it etc this can start now puppies are very quick learners too Any further questions don't hesitate to ask ATB

thank you. I will try to do that with the crate and start training

Bigboyuk
25-02-18, 14:38
thank you. I will try to do that with the crate and start training

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Great tbh yes it can be very hard work but it's also very rewarding too :) I have done so much with my girl even to the point where she has to use her nose to find treats or take them out of my mouth just with the tv on and no other lights on she does it perfectly it's took a good while to get there and a dog can learn upto 250 verbal commands I see it all the time some owners cant get their dog to sit even why? Because they haven't even bothered to try Ahh Training is essential and paramount to get the best out your new companion :) Let us know how you get on and update us regularly too. ATB

petrichoram
25-02-18, 15:30
Great tbh yes it can be very hard work but it's also very rewarding too :) I have done so much with my girl even to the point where she has to use her nose to find treats or take them out of my mouth just with the tv on and no other lights on she does it perfectly it's took a good while to get there and a dog can learn upto 250 verbal commands I see it all the time some owners cant get their dog to sit even why? Because they haven't even bothered to try Ahh Training is essential and paramount to get the best out your new companion :) Let us know how you get on and update us regularly too. ATB

Will do.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Great tbh yes it can be very hard work but it's also very rewarding too :) I have done so much with my girl even to the point where she has to use her nose to find treats or take them out of my mouth just with the tv on and no other lights on she does it perfectly it's took a good while to get there and a dog can learn upto 250 verbal commands I see it all the time some owners cant get their dog to sit even why? Because they haven't even bothered to try Ahh Training is essential and paramount to get the best out your new companion :) Let us know how you get on and update us regularly too. ATB

For training I ordered a clicker to help. Do you think I should wait for that to come or start training her now?

Bigboyuk
25-02-18, 16:17
Will do.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

For training I ordered a clicker to help. Do you think I should wait for that to come or start training her now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk You can start now but keep the sessions brief to start with as you don't want to over whelm her I have used and still do to this day a simple click of my fingers, nothing wrong with getting a clicker either :) The keys to success in ANY training is consistency and repetition so just because some thing doesn't seem to work straight away you don't give up! And remember you head is your tool box start to build on the tools at your disposal ATB

petrichoram
25-02-18, 16:18
You can start now but keep the sessions brief to start with as you don't want to over whelm her I have used and still do to this day a simple click of my fingers, nothing wrong with getting a clicker either :) The keys to success in ANY training is consistency and repetition so just because some thing doesn't seem to work straight away you don't give up! And remember you head is your tool box start to build on the tools at your disposal ATB

Thank you so much for the help

Bigboyuk
25-02-18, 16:58
Thank you so much for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk You are welcome :) Think mum/dad can help with the training too people make the misconception that it's one master, not true so long as you all sing from the same hymn sheet. Like when you feed her ( I still do it now) Put the food in the bowl (we are the providers) and get her to wait I have it perfected to the point where I no longer have to ask her to wait she automatically waits till I say go on or simply point to her bowl which means of you go. Look up N.I.L.I.F on Google it stands for Nothing In Life Is Free So basically their toys aren't their toys till you say so and same goes for when you want to stop play too so nilif+dogs in to Google and read up on it I started using Nilif about 6 or more years ago it's kind and positive way to train any dog :) ATB

petrichoram
25-02-18, 17:28
You are welcome :) Think mum/dad can help with the training too people make the misconception that it's one master, not true so long as you all sing from the same hymn sheet. Like when you feed her ( I still do it now) Put the food in the bowl (we are the providers) and get her to wait I have it perfected to the point where I no longer have to ask her to wait she automatically waits till I say go on or simply point to her bowl which means of you go. Look up N.I.L.I.F on Google it stands for Nothing In Life Is Free So basically their toys aren't their toys till you say so and same goes for when you want to stop play too so nilif+dogs in to Google and read up on it I started using Nilif about 6 or more years ago it's kind and positive way to train any dog :) ATB

My mother said she’d help out at first. I’ll check out N.I.L.I.F

Iwant2bhealthy
26-02-18, 17:26
Excellent advice from Bigboy on dog handling. I'd like to add something from my side: when you bring a puppy to a household it should never be one person's responsibility. It takes a village to raise a child, and it takes a whole family to raise a well balanced dog.

If I understand correctly your family wants to build your confidence by giving you this responsibility, but you should also feel that you can lean on them. Share your fears and doubts with your family, and ask for help when you feel it's becoming too much. There is no shame in doing so, and if someone tells you: "it's you who wanted the dog", tell them that this is not about the dog at all, it's about anxiety.

Housebreaking and training a puppy is hard, sometimes frustrating and extremely rewarding at the same time. You will have ups and downs but if stick with it, in a matter of 6 months you will have a friend for life. :-)

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

petrichoram
26-02-18, 19:51
Excellent advice from Bigboy on dog handling. I'd like to add something from my side: when you bring a puppy to a household it should never be one person's responsibility. It takes a village to raise a child, and it takes a whole family to raise a well balanced dog.

If I understand correctly your family wants to build your confidence by giving you this responsibility, but you should also feel that you can lean on them. Share your fears and doubts with your family, and ask for help when you feel it's becoming too much. There is no shame in doing so, and if someone tells you: "it's you who wanted the dog", tell them that this is not about the dog at all, it's about anxiety.

Housebreaking and training a puppy is hard, sometimes frustrating and extremely rewarding at the same time. You will have ups and downs but if stick with it, in a matter of 6 months you will have a friend for life. :-)

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Thank you

.Poppy.
26-02-18, 20:26
Try Googling "puppy blues." This feeling is VERY common.

I've had dogs my entire life - I still get the blues whenever I bring a new one home. It's a major change in schedule, so of course its stressful.

With my last puppy, who is almost 4 now, I brought him home at a very low time in my life. I was going through some nasty life experiences and I thought a puppy would cheer me up. With him, not only did I have puppy blues but he had some MAJOR behavioral issues (not normal puppy stuff) that added to the disaster. I held on; he still struggles but I can't imagine life without him now.

It does get better. Have you considered taking a puppy class? They can really be a lot of fun and it's nice to get out there and show your puppy off. :)

Phuzella
26-02-18, 21:07
Poppy is that a blue merle collie on your profile??

petrichoram
26-02-18, 23:51
Try Googling "puppy blues." This feeling is VERY common.

I've had dogs my entire life - I still get the blues whenever I bring a new one home. It's a major change in schedule, so of course its stressful.

With my last puppy, who is almost 4 now, I brought him home at a very low time in my life. I was going through some nasty life experiences and I thought a puppy would cheer me up. With him, not only did I have puppy blues but he had some MAJOR behavioral issues (not normal puppy stuff) that added to the disaster. I held on; he still struggles but I can't imagine life without him now.

It does get better. Have you considered taking a puppy class? They can really be a lot of fun and it's nice to get out there and show your puppy off. :)

It’s good to know i’m not the only one. I can’t take puppy classes, sadly

Bigboyuk
27-02-18, 11:55
Token has expired twice on this thread so cant post on this thread so can admin look in to this please I reloaded the window but still wont let me post?

.Poppy.
27-02-18, 14:53
Poppy is that a blue merle collie on your profile??

That's my Australian Shepherd, Lexy! She's not the crazy one, haha - that would be the black Cocker in my avatar pic. :roflmao:

Bigboyuk
27-02-18, 16:19
Yes while I think its a good idea puppy classes the reason why I didn't mention it I think it may be overwhelming for the OP and they are only 14 and parental guidance would be important at a puppy class. ATB

Phuzella
27-02-18, 19:00
Poppy... I had a blue mere collie cross who died 2 years ago aged 16. She was exactly the same colour as your Lexy :)

petrichoram
03-03-18, 22:26
You can start now but keep the sessions brief to start with as you don't want to over whelm her I have used and still do to this day a simple click of my fingers, nothing wrong with getting a clicker either :) The keys to success in ANY training is consistency and repetition so just because some thing doesn't seem to work straight away you don't give up! And remember you head is your tool box start to build on the tools at your disposal ATB

I’ve started to try to train her a bit with the clicker and treats. She pays attention ti the treats for a few times then doesn’t want them anymore and gets uninterested. Do you think I should keep trying to train her this way or try to switch things?

Bigboyuk
04-03-18, 12:45
I’ve started to try to train her a bit with the clicker and treats. She pays attention ti the treats for a few times then doesn’t want them anymore and gets uninterested. Do you think I should keep trying to train her this way or try to switch things?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOk some dogs aren't food motivated in that sense, I would try different higher value(tastier) treats like bits of hot dog or chicken if that doesnt work switch to a favourite toy it's some times a process of elimination that you have to get through :) What are you training her and never forget the verbal praise when she does something right go OTT as though you have won the lottery it registers in the dogs mind much quicker there fore improving training overall :) ATB

petrichoram
04-03-18, 15:49
Ok some dogs aren't food motivated in that sense, I would try different higher value(tastier) treats like bits of hot dog or chicken if that doesnt work switch to a favourite toy it's some times a process of elimination that you have to get through :) What are you training her and never forget the verbal praise when she does something right go OTT as though you have won the lottery it registers in the dogs mind much quicker there fore improving training overall :) ATB

I’m trying to train her stuff like “come” and “sit”.

Bigboyuk
04-03-18, 16:52
I’m trying to train her stuff like “come” and “sit”.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAhh ok sounds :shades: Try and up the quality of the treats then what are you treating with currently? And as previously said always verbally praise with or with out treats eventually once a command becomes solid and consistent then wean the treats off and just verbally praise. And how is going so far? ATB

petrichoram
04-03-18, 16:55
Ahh ok sounds :shades: Try and up the quality of the treats then what are you treating with currently? And as previously said always verbally praise with or with out treats eventually once a command becomes solid and consistent then wean the treats off and just verbally praise. And how is going so far? ATB

I’m using pet botonics mini training rewards and blue bird training treats. I’ll start doing verbal praises.

Phuzella
04-03-18, 17:01
Don't forget she is a baby . She was used to being with her brothers and sisters and her mum until recently. Everything is new to her. Be kind to her, I know you are :) , you'll have a friend for life. You can tell her all your problems, your hopes, everything. She won't answer you back she'll wag her tail and listen to you. Honestly you're so lucky :)

petrichoram
04-03-18, 17:03
Don't forget she is a baby . She was used to being with her brothers and sisters and her mum until recently. Everything is new to her. Be kind to her, I know you are :) , you'll have a friend for life. You can tell her all your problems, your hopes, everything. She won't answer you back she'll wag her tail and listen to you. Honestly you're so lucky :)

Thanks

Bigboyuk
04-03-18, 17:10
I’m using pet botonics mini training rewards and blue bird training treats. I’ll start doing verbal praises.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAhh ok maybe try some pieces of hot dogs or bit's of chicken dogs love both. Yes verbal praise is very important coupled with a quick cuddle works wonders are you teaching her to wait for her food till you cue her to eat? which could be as simple as a click or verbal go on :) It's very rewarding to see you dog learn stuff too :yesyes: ATB

petrichoram
04-03-18, 17:13
Ahh ok maybe try some pieces of hot dogs or bit's of chicken dogs love both. Yes verbal praise is very important coupled with a quick cuddle works wonders are you teaching her to wait for her food till you cue her to eat? which could be as simple as a click or verbal go on :) It's very rewarding to see you dog learn stuff too :yesyes: ATB

I think I’m gonna try to teach her more basic things like sit and come before the food thing.

Bigboyuk
04-03-18, 17:23
I think I’m gonna try to teach her more basic things like sit and come before the food thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOk Actually that was one of the first things I taught my dog though as we are the 'providers' of food ect we are the hunter gatherer so to speak ;) I have total respect now off my dog but fine I would also teach a leave it command ( I call it a life saver command) Puppies will always want to investigate new things like whats in the gutter when you start taking her out this a good life skill to teach your dog too. ATB

petrichoram
04-03-18, 17:34
Ok Actually that was one of the first things I taught my dog though as we are the 'providers' of food ect we are the hunter gatherer so to speak ;) I have total respect now off my dog but fine I would also teach a leave it command ( I call it a life saver command) Puppies will always want to investigate new things like whats in the gutter when you start taking her out this a good life skill to teach your dog too. ATB

I’ll try to teach her that.

Bigboyuk
04-03-18, 18:07
I’ll try to teach her that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Good any further questions don't hesitate to ask :) ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 02:46
Good any further questions don't hesitate to ask :) ATB

Well I was getting help from my mom but not anymore :(. Her boyfriend decided I had to fully take care of the puppy so now I have to do that. That made me very sad but I’ll keep trying to raise the puppy well

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 08:02
Well I was getting help from my mom but not anymore :(. Her boyfriend decided I had to fully take care of the puppy so now I have to do that. That made me very sad but I’ll keep trying to raise the puppy well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Hi Sorry that's a bit harsh and what's it got to do with your mum's bf?? Nothing, he decided that mum should stop helping you. Iam:mad: We are talking about a living animal that will need upbringing etc. You are only 14 not saying you don't know what you are doing but it's huge responsibility! Right how's the training going? ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 08:51
Hi Sorry that's a bit harsh and what's it got to do with your mum's bf?? Nothing, he decided that mum should stop helping you. Iam:mad: We are talking about a living animal that will need upbringing etc. You are only 14 not saying you don't know what you are doing but it's huge responsibility! Right how's the training going? ATB

Well they’re still buying food and stuff and that’s good enough for me although it would be easier with more. Still working on training her whenever I can

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 11:32
Well they’re still buying food and stuff and that’s good enough for me although it would be easier with more. Still working on training her whenever I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Well yes I would have preferred to see at least mum or her bf helping with the training It's a huge long road ahead Yes of course you are at school during the day? I hope the puppy isn't caged while you are at school? Think I would personally ask for a little extra support in view of your anxiety too :) How is the training going? ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 13:13
Well yes I would have preferred to see at least mum or her bf helping with the training It's a huge long road ahead Yes of course you are at school during the day? I hope the puppy isn't caged while you are at school? Think I would personally ask for a little extra support in view of your anxiety too :) How is the training going? ATB

Well I did have my mom and her boyfriend letting her out and hanging out with her while I was at school. Hopefully they will still do that. I love in my moms boyfriends house so I don’t really have a choice

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 13:19
Well I did have my mom and her boyfriend letting her out and hanging out with her while I was at school. Hopefully they will still do that. I love in my moms boyfriends house so I don’t really have a choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Well that's good as it's not fair on the dog if there is no interaction while you are at school so ask them when you get home. If its stopped then the dog will suffer it's a baby still and will need looking after and will need things to do like pee/poop and playtime. So what are you teaching her to do and is it working so far perhaps they can continue some of the training while you are at school?!! ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 13:23
Well that's good as it's not fair on the dog if there is no interaction while you are at school so ask them when you get home. If its stopped then the dog will suffer it's a baby still and will need looking after and will need things to do like pee/poop and playtime. So what are you teaching her to do and is it working so far perhaps they can continue some of the training while you are at school?!! ATB

At home they will maybe look after her when I’m at school but my puppy also has my other dogs to play with and the other dogs are nice to her. I’m still training her the same things. It’s difficult for me and no one will really help. What do you mean by train her while I’m at school? Also I walk home for lunch because it is open campus and bring her to go to the bathroom and play

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Well that's good as it's not fair on the dog if there is no interaction while you are at school so ask them when you get home. If its stopped then the dog will suffer it's a baby still and will need looking after and will need things to do like pee/poop and playtime. So what are you teaching her to do and is it working so far perhaps they can continue some of the training while you are at school?!! ATB

By the way thank you again for helping me

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 13:36
At home they will maybe look after her when I’m at school but my puppy also has my other dogs to play with and the other dogs are nice to her. I’m still training her the same things. It’s difficult for me and no one will really help. What do you mean by train her while I’m at school? Also I walk home for lunch because it is open campus and bring her to go to the bathroom and play

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

By the way thank you again for helping me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk These things you need to know by asking mum and bf. It's great she has other dogs to interact with:shades: What I mean is when you aren't at home perhaps mum and or bf can help with the training too puppies are very quick to learn new skills etc. Please utilise this golden opportunity while you can. it's simply not good enough just to teach a sit, lie down or roll over ;) and seeing your dog do wonderful things you ask of her is a great achievement too. ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 13:40
These things you need to know by asking mum and bf. It's great she has other dogs to interact with:shades: What I mean is when you aren't at home perhaps mum and or bf can help with the training too puppies are very quick to learn new skills etc. Please utilise this golden opportunity while you can. it's simply not good enough just to teach a sit, lie down or roll over ;) and seeing your dog do wonderful things you ask of her is a great achievement too. ATB

They won’t help with any of that. The only things they’ll do is let her out to play with my other dogs. If she has an accident while I’m gone then they wait for me to come home to clean it up. I’m gonna start training her more things. I have like 6 hours after and 2 before for any training time. My mom wants to help but her boyfriend could kick us out even though we’ve lived here for years :/

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 13:50
They won’t help with any of that. The only things they’ll do is let her out to play with my other dogs. If she has an accident while I’m gone then they wait for me to come home to clean it up. I’m gonna start training her more things. I have like 6 hours after and 2 before for any training time. My mom wants to help but her boyfriend could kick us out even though we’ve lived here for years :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk So they don't work then? Hmm that's a harsh on the dog if it needs to pee/poop then they have a duty to let it out other wise it could seriously hamper toilet training big time it could be come the norm for the dog to do it in the house this is not good. if there is a accident it should be one of them to clean it up not you that's a bit silly. Mom wants to help but bf could kick you both out, on what grounds that is sad. Yes this is good but only teach her new things when the other things you are teaching her are working don't overwhelm her :) ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 13:51
So they don't work then? Hmm that's a harsh on the dog if it needs to pee/poop then they have a duty to let it out other wise it could seriously hamper toilet training big time it could be come the norm for the dog to do it in the house this is not good. if there is a accident it should be one of them to clean it up not you that's a bit silly. Mom wants to help but bf could kick you both out, on what grounds that is sad. Yes this is good but only teach her new things when the other things you are teaching her are working don't overwhelm her :) ATB

My mom will take her out it’s just if the puppy doesn’t get out in time. Hopefully it’ll all work out

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 13:56
My mom will take her out it’s just if the puppy doesn’t get out in time. Hopefully it’ll all work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Phew well that's good but any accidents must be cleaned up and not left for you to do it's down the person who takes the dog out to deal with any accidents agreed :) Keep us updated on any progress made. ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 14:00
Phew well that's good but any accidents must be cleaned up and not left for you to do it's down the person who takes the dog out to deal with any accidents agreed :) Keep us updated on any progress made. ATB

Well they decided to make me do it. It sucks but y’know.

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 14:04
Well they decided to make me do it. It sucks but y’know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Why? And yes it sucks I don't think they are cut out to be dog owners really.If it was me I would be saying something nicely of course though :D I do hope it all works out for you. ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 14:05
Why? And yes it sucks I don't think they are cut out to be dog owners really.If it was me I would be saying something nicely of course though :D I do hope it all works out for you. ATB

They take care of the other dogs and do that stuff it’s just her boyfriend thinks it’s my responsibility to do everything because it’s technically my dog. thank you

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 14:10
They take care of the other dogs and do that stuff it’s just her boyfriend thinks it’s my responsibility to do everything because it’s technically my dog. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Well true to a point but if you aren't there when it happens (accidents) then it's not down to you to clean it up period. if you are there when it happens then yes I agree with that its a bit strange though. ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 14:11
Well true to a point but if you aren't there when it happens (accidents) then it's not down to you to clean it up period. if you are there when it happens then yes I agree with that its a bit strange though. ATB

That’s what I think too. If I argue with that then it’ll get even worse though

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 14:18
That’s what I think too. If I argue with that then it’ll get even worse though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Probably it would you will have your work cut out but stick with it :) How many dogs do you have altogether? Good luck and I will help you as much as I can :yesyes: ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 14:18
Probably it would you will have your work cut out but stick with it :) How many dogs do you have altogether? Good luck and I will help you as much as I can :yesyes: ATB

I have three other dogs and a cat

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 14:21
I have three other dogs and a cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Nice :) But they will look after them while you aren't at home right? Or do you have to clean up if they have accidents too? Hows the cat coping with 3 dogs and a puppy? ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 14:23
Nice :) But they will look after them while you aren't at home right? Or do you have to clean up if they have accidents too? Hows the cat coping with 3 dogs and a puppy? ATB

No I just have to clean up the puppy. My cat is cool with it. He’s pretty lazy and they just leave him alone most of the time

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 15:22
No I just have to clean up the puppy. My cat is cool with it. He’s pretty lazy and they just leave him alone most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWell I guess that's a small price to pay! Great your cat isn't phased by the dogs or the puppy, happy days :winks: I would ask if there are male dogs that you have you get your puppy speyed at 12 months to stop unwanted puppies and also can help prevent mammry gland cancer it's a fact :) ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 15:31
Well I guess that's a small price to pay! Great your cat isn't phased by the dogs or the puppy, happy days :winks: I would ask if there are male dogs that you have you get your puppy speyed at 12 months to stop unwanted puppies and also can help prevent mammry gland cancer it's a fact :) ATB

He we have two guy dogs

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 15:46
He we have two guy dogs

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf they have been done there's no risk, if they haven't when your puppy gets older and comes in to heat it's going to be difficult to stop in some respects. So worth considering having your dog done. ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 15:59
If they have been done there's no risk, if they haven't when your puppy gets older and comes in to heat it's going to be difficult to stop in some respects. So worth considering having your dog done. ATB

One of them is fixed. My moms boyfriend won’t fix the other one since he other one has babies with my girl dog. We’re gonna fix the puppy when she’s older

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 16:04
One of them is fixed. My moms boyfriend won’t fix the other one since he other one has babies with my girl dog. We’re gonna fix the puppy when she’s older

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkGood I would suggest that with your puppy let one season go by then get her done but get mom to make sure when she comes in to season that they are kept apart it's not worth the risk too many puppies being born :) ATB

petrichoram
09-03-18, 16:34
Good I would suggest that with your puppy let one season go by then get her done but get mom to make sure when she comes in to season that they are kept apart it's not worth the risk too many puppies being born :) ATB

Ok I will thank you

Bigboyuk
09-03-18, 16:56
Ok I will thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Np :)

petrichoram
26-03-18, 14:53
Np :)

So my mom started watching her while I was gone because she thought it’d be fair. Now whenever I bring my pup down to my room all she wants to do is go upstairs. She cries to go upstairs and won’t stop no matter what I do. It really sucks because she won’t spend time with me unless I’m upstairs. It doesn’t make sense because my room is way cleaner and nicer than the upstairs. I feel like she doesn’t like me at all anymore. She does this every single time I take her down.
Do you know any ways to make her stop? I’ve tried toys, pets, and everything I could think of.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:01
So my mom started watching her while I was gone because she thought it’d be fair. Now whenever I bring my pup down to my room all she wants to do is go upstairs. She cries to go upstairs and won’t stop no matter what I do. It really sucks because she won’t spend time with me unless I’m upstairs. It doesn’t make sense because my room is way cleaner and nicer than the upstairs. I feel like she doesn’t like me at all anymore. She does this every single time I take her down.
Do you know any ways to make her stop? I’ve tried toys, pets, and everything I could think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk So your room is down stairs right? What you could do is spend more time upstairs with her! Have you tried this and tbh is has to be a consistant thing you are doing what you could reward the good behaviour with is tasty food treats chicken something of high value. At first I thought it was SA (separation anxiety) but take it you are with downstairs with her all the time? So just switch it around to upstairs and spend lots of time with her upstairs. And don't worry it's has nothing to do with not liking you If I think of anything else I will let you know :) HTH. ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:03
So your room is down stairs right? What you could do is spend more time upstairs with her! Have you tried this and tbh is has to be a consistant thing you are doing what you could reward the good behaviour with is tasty food treats chicken something of high value. At first I thought it was SA (separation anxiety) but take it you are with downstairs with her all the time? So just switch it around to upstairs and spend lots of time with her upstairs. If I think of anything else I will let you know :) HTH. ATB

I have her all the time that I can. Sometimes I just let her go up if she’s whining. My mom takes her while I’m gone at school so the puppy spends like equal time with us both. I really don’t like going upstairs because my moms boyfriend is up there and he’s a jerk to me.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:09
I have her all the time that I can. Sometimes I just let her go up if she’s whining. My mom takes her while I’m gone at school so the puppy spends like equal time with us both. I really don’t like going upstairs because my moms boyfriend is up there and he’s a jerk to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Hmm just wondering the other pets are all upstairs? Maybe that's one of the reasons why she want to go upstairs unless she is getting lots of treats (when you are at school) upstairs? Just trying to work out why she prefers upstairs to down. and yes I can understand why you don't want to be upstairs especially with your moms Bf. Is there a room upstairs that you could use for you and your puppy? ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:11
Hmm just wondering the other pets are all upstairs? Maybe that's one of the reasons why she want to go upstairs unless she is getting lots of treats (when you are at school) upstairs? Just trying to work out why she prefers upstairs to down. and yes I can understand why you don't want to be upstairs especially with your moms Bf. Is there a room upstairs that you could use for you and your puppy? ATB

All the other pets are up there and her crate. I take down one of the dogs when I bring her down though. There isn’t any room I can use. Sometimes I go up the the living room when no one is home.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:15
All the other pets are up there and her crate. I take down one of the dogs when I bring her down though. There isn’t any room I can use. Sometimes I go up the the living room when no one is home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk So it's not lack of company then, Iam racking my brain here for ideas as to why, how often is she crated when you aren't home? ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:16
So it's not lack of company then, Iam racking my brain here for ideas as to why, how often is she crated when you aren't home? ATB

Only when my mom isn’t there or her boyfriend. My other dog I bring down sometimes freaks out and wants to go up but that’s just because he’s used to being up there all the time

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:23
Only when my mom isn’t there or her boyfriend. My other dog I bring down sometimes freaks out and wants to go up but that’s just because he’s used to being up there all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Right maybe that's it I mean how often when you first got her did she stay up stairs more back then than now? Or did she go down stairs often when you first got her? And if she sees the other dog freak out down stairs maybe she is picking up on that! ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:24
Right maybe that's it I mean how often when you first got her did she stay up stairs more back then than now? Or did she go down stairs often when you first got her? And if she sees the other dog freak out down stairs maybe she is picking up on that! ATB

She went up about the same. After the first day she was up quite a bit because I was freaking out a lot and couldn’t handle it. Now I’ve gotten used to it though. She’ll stay down with my in my bed if I give her a bath and she’s cold but otherwise she won’t want to.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:31
She went up about the same. After the first day she was up quite a bit because I was freaking out a lot and couldn’t handle it. Now I’ve gotten used to it though. She’ll stay down with my in my bed if I give her a bath and she’s cold but otherwise she won’t want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Other than giving her bath everyday which would be bad for her as it can take her natural oils off her coat. You could try taking another one of the dogs downstairs with you this may help. I am a bit lost as to the cause of this problem think it's a process of elimination really finding the cause, you could bring her crate downstairs to see if that makes a difference. ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:31
Other than giving her bath everyday which would be bad for her as it can take her natural oils off her coat. You could try taking another one of the dogs downstairs with you this may help. I am a bit lost as to the cause of this problem think it's a process of elimination really finding the cause, you could bring her crate downstairs to see if that makes a difference. ATB

The other two dogs can’t really go downstairs.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 15:36
The other two dogs can’t really go downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Not ideal is it. Ok move the crate down stairs after all it's your dog right! ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 15:53
Not ideal is it. Ok move the crate down stairs after all it's your dog right! ATB

It might be because my upstairs is super messy and my room is very clean. Or because upstairs is bigger. I don’t know.

Bigboyuk
26-03-18, 16:52
It might be because my upstairs is super messy and my room is very clean. Or because upstairs is bigger. I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Hmm possibly more stuff to check out upstairs so not suggesting you make your room messy but you could put loads of dog toys and hidden treats down stairs as dogs love to explore and use their nose to find things ;) so try that and get back to me! ATB

petrichoram
26-03-18, 17:14
Hmm possibly more stuff to check out upstairs so not suggesting you make your room messy but you could put loads of dog toys and hidden treats down stairs as dogs love to explore and use their nose to find things ;) so try that and get back to me! ATB

Ok thanks

.Poppy.
26-03-18, 19:51

What happens if your mom goes downstairs? Is it possible your dog is just a bit attached to your mother?

I ask because your pup looks like a spaniel and they can sometimes get attached to one person. It doesn't last forever - I have a Cocker that was very, very attached to me when he was a puppy, to the point where he wouldn't hang out or interact with anyone else. He did grow out of it.

You might either spend some time upstairs with your puppy or have your mom come downstairs. Make every interaction with you nothing but FUN. Lots of treats/toys/etc.

petrichoram
26-03-18, 23:57
What happens if your mom goes downstairs? Is it possible your dog is just a bit attached to your mother?

I ask because your pup looks like a spaniel and they can sometimes get attached to one person. It doesn't last forever - I have a Cocker that was very, very attached to me when he was a puppy, to the point where he wouldn't hang out or interact with anyone else. He did grow out of it.

You might either spend some time upstairs with your puppy or have your mom come downstairs. Make every interaction with you nothing but FUN. Lots of treats/toys/etc.

The reason I don’t think that is he case is because if I go up even without my mom there she won’t care. She just likes upstairs. She also doesn’t bite me as much as everyone else.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Hmm possibly more stuff to check out upstairs so not suggesting you make your room messy but you could put loads of dog toys and hidden treats down stairs as dogs love to explore and use their nose to find things ;) so try that and get back to me! ATB

It also may be because they can hear everything upstairs from down there. I can sometimes hear people talking quietly from down there so they might want to see who it is? I am not sure though. From the living rooms and middle floor they can’t hear anyone and if they do then they run to check it out.