PDA

View Full Version : Dry eye any tips really appreciate

Weasley123
25-02-18, 22:40
So my right right eye felt dry all day yesterday and I kept putty B.B. in dropd. Very red today I went to urgent care to make sure no scratch etc. no scratch no infection. They said it can’t just be dry cause it’s one eye. But last year it was dry in just one eye. I’ve been putting in drops not really helping. Then they check my blood pressure 156/91 just last week it was145/75 not greR but better do that scares me. Does anyone have dry eye? I no anxiety didn’t cause it big could it make it worse

Clydesdale Epona
25-02-18, 22:43
I have chronic dry eye myself, sometimes its one, sometimes its both.
Eye spray really works well for me (can get it at most pharmacies, superstores, Walmart ect)
just spray it on your eyelid and open your eye (I believe it comes in drop form if you prefer x)

Weasley123
25-02-18, 23:15
Do you have a name? I’ve seen drops not sprays do you see an eye dr

tantopat
25-02-18, 23:22
It's entirely possible for one eye to be dry - it could be a case of your tear duct being a bit blocked. It's fine and completely safe, they just get a bit gunked up occasionally (some are more prone to it than others - I have rosacea, so I'm very prone to it). One way to treat it is to place a flannel in some boiling water, wait until it's cooled just enough to pick up while still being as hot as you can bear it, then hold it against your closed eyes for about 5 minutes (dip it back in the water when it starts to cool off). Then very gently wipe the edges of your eyes once you're done to get rid of any gunk. It's a trick I was taught by my ophthalmologist, and it really helps. :) The heat of the flannel melts any oils that have blocked the tear duct and helps it drain properly. Plus it has a bit of a spa facial-like feeling if you're into that!

Weasley123
25-02-18, 23:25
I’ll try that thank u. Do your eyes get red the dr today says dry eyes don’t usually get red but that sounded wrong

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Do your eyes get rid the dr said redness wasn’t usually dry eye but that sounded wrong

tantopat
25-02-18, 23:25
Yeah, they definitely do when they're dry. I'd recommend looking for another doctor for a second opinion. :P I'm not sure if it's the dryness itself that causes redness or the fact that being dry means they're a bit less effective at washing away irritants such as dust, but it happens a lot to me!

nomorepanic
25-02-18, 23:38
I was told to get a warm flannel and hold it on my closed eyes for a while

Weasley123
25-02-18, 23:47
Well if they don’t clear up there lll go to the eye dr. But my awful dr fear discourages me. Plus this seems to be an over the counter condition. I’m already spooked it’s it blood pressure causing it but then it be both eyes

tantopat
26-02-18, 00:33
Exactly, and I think with blood pressure issues you'd have more than just eye problems. :) The most likely explanation is that your tear duct just has a bit of an oil gland blockage, which is easily treatable with a warm flannel. If it persists, please don't be afraid to ask your doctor for advice. As someone who's had her eyes treated for dryness and blockage, I can assure you that's it's not scary at all, there are no needles involved in an eye examination if you're worried about that, and it really does help. :)

Weasley123
26-02-18, 11:41
I’ve tried the warm compress and drops it’s still very dry and red. I’m just eibdweing how old my before the red goes away it hasn’t been long yet. At what point would you try an eye dr and not over the counter

Annaboodle
26-02-18, 16:35
Hello. Have you had a cold or bug at all? I woke up with one big ol' red eye looking like an extra from 28 Days Later, so I went to the chemist and they gave me over-the-counter eye ointment (they'd run out of drops) and said I had bacterial conjunctivitis. But my eye was red, itchy, dry and gunky. I must've rubbed my eye after blowing my nose I think. The ointment they gave me (because they'd run out of drops) is called... *trots through to bathroom cabinet* "Chloramphenicol eye ointment". Anyway if you haven't had a bug and aren't disgusting like me and rub your eyes with snotty fingers it's probably not that, but thought I'd mention.

Weasley123
26-02-18, 16:38
It’s not infection they said for sure it’s def dry eye. I’m just wondering if it’ll go away soon it’s only been two days but I’m using drops every hour to lubricate I know dry eye is chronic but I’m thinking most treatment for it is otc. So would dr even do anything

EKB
26-02-18, 20:49
Have you tried taking some allergy medication? I had a red, dry, irritated eye and I found that along with drops helped.