PDA

View Full Version : Misdiagnosis fear...

Cocobro1015
26-02-18, 14:48
Hey guys,
So long story short I convinced myself I had lung cancer, believed it 100%. I couldn’t take the anxiety anymore so a couple days ago I took myself to the ER and asked them to do a ct scan. My blood work & the ct scan came back normal, which I was very relieved over, but now I’m doubting the competency of the dr. Because it wasn’t at like a big hospital & he got a couple of bad reviews on google. I know this is probably irrationa but I’m afraid I was misdiagnosed or something. It’s pretty rare for that to happen, right? I wish I could just accept it and move on...

BrokenGirl
26-02-18, 14:59
The bottom line is that you have to accept it and move on. He did a CT scan and blood works and all came back clear. He's trained to read these - you're not. We could all spend our time worrying about the doctors misdiagnosing and therefore none of us would ever be on the right road to recovery. Maybe he had a few bad reviews but you don't know the full story with them, and there is always 2 sides to every story. How may diagnoses was he correct with? Many many I'm sure.
If something bad was going on then it would have showed up - but it didn't. So forget about this, you got the reassurance you wanted so start enjoying your life now.

Carys
26-02-18, 15:04
Bloodwork AND CT scan; so that was two things that came back fine. In addition it sounds like it was to be expected for those to be clear, as you had convinced yourself you had lung cancer and seems like symptoms weren't enough for it to actually point to lunch cancer.

I had no idea doctors were reviewed on google, however, if they are then remember what it's like when you read Amazon product reviews - some people write dumb reviews about a product based on it being broken when it was delivered, or lower the star rating with silly expectations. You don't know who wrote the review, what sort of person they were, if they had a grudge, if they wouldn't accept what the doctor said....there could be any number of reasons for 'bad reviews' none of which could be the doctor's fault!

doglover1967
28-02-18, 03:43
Usually someone else reads the cat scan and forwards results to the dr. But whether the dr read the scan or someone else did, they know what they’re looking for on a scan and abnormalities stand out like a sore thumb.

My dads dr found his lung cancer (smaller than a dime) in his upper lobe while looking at an X-ray to diagnose arthritis in his shoulder. It’s not hard to spot at all. Accept it.