PDA

View Full Version : Lung cancer worry

Lillie88
26-02-18, 21:13
This is my first post, I guess I am looking for reassurance as we all are and wanting to know if my thoughts around lung cancer are irrational. I have been suffering with health anxiety quite badly for the last couple of months. 3 weeks ago (to the day) I woke in the night with a high temperature and a bad cough. The cough was pretty bad and gave me pains by my armpit and shoulder blade. The cough improved after 3 to 4 days but I went to see a nurse at my Dr about the pain I had, she said was either muscle strain or part of the virus. Three weeks later I still have a cough, no where near as bad, mainly in the cold air or when I run upstairs and I also have a very small pain at side of one breast and in the chest, but these pains are so minimal I have to question if they are in my mind or if they are being caused by health anxiety. I have been panicking that I have lung cancer, I am a 45 year old non smoker. I am driving myself mad looking at Google for symptoms, it does say persistent cough but as the cough has improved am I being irrational and inpatient? Thanks all.

Imeleedi
26-02-18, 21:53
This is my first post, I guess I am looking for reassurance as we all are and wanting to know if my thoughts around lung cancer are irrational. I have been suffering with health anxiety quite badly for the last couple of months. 3 weeks ago (to the day) I woke in the night with a high temperature and a bad cough. The cough was pretty bad and gave me pains by my armpit and shoulder blade. The cough improved after 3 to 4 days but I went to see a nurse at my Dr about the pain I had, she said was either muscle strain or part of the virus. Three weeks later I still have a cough, no where near as bad, mainly in the cold air or when I run upstairs and I also have a very small pain at side of one breast and in the chest, but these pains are so minimal I have to question if they are in my mind or if they are being caused by health anxiety. I have been panicking that I have lung cancer, I am a 45 year old non smoker. I am driving myself mad looking at Google for symptoms, it does say persistent cough but as the cough has improved am I being irrational and inpatient? Thanks all.

You don't sound to have anything to worry about. The cough improving combined with a high temperature in the early phases strongly suggests a viral infection. These type of infections can cause a lingering cough that lasts much longer than the cough itself. You may find yourself with a mild cough and constantly having to clear your throat for another 2 or 3 weeks yet. They can really drag on.

But I certainly wouldn't worry about lung cancer.