PDA

View Full Version : Recipe for surviving health anxiety

Anxiousamyj
28-02-18, 02:25
Hi all,
I’m a 39 yo woman who has struggled with hypochondria since childhood. It’s never been really severe and I was able to trust my family and doctors when they reassured me that I was fine. However, last summer, things took a really hard downward spiral for my HA. The first disease I “had” was a brain tumor. Ct scan was normal. I was reassured until I got oral cancer. Dentist assured me I was fine. I had a bout with MS, ALS, Parkinson’s, gallstones, pancreatic cancer, Graves’ disease, anal cancer, recital cancer, bone cancer, breast cance, and probably others that I’m not remembering. There were so many. I went to the doctor at least 20 times from June 2017 until now. I was losing weight, nauseous constantly, no appetite. Of course, the weight loss fueled my cancer fear as well. I’ve had x rays, ultrasounds, ct scans, crazy amounts of blood tests. They are all fine. I’m in the US, so even with insurance, I’ve racked up quite a medical bill. I’m in CBT now and it’s been amazing, but you have to really want to get better and commit to doing the work. First thing is: no googling symptoms. It’s hard, I know. I was a 5-8 hour a day googler. It had taken over my life and become an obsession. You really have to stop doing it. It was the single most important thing I’ve accomplished in therapy. It’s scary, unreliable, and I can’t stress enough how damaging it is. Another thing you have to realize is that our bodies are capable of manifesting psychsomatic symptoms. It sounds unbelievable that you really don’t have that disease you fear so much, it all really can be anxiety and mind over matter. I really felt genuinely awful and was absolutely certain I had these diseases. It’s important to get some insight and be honest with your doctors about your HA. I don’t take any medication, but I have been prescribed some in the past.
You have to come up with a plan for what you will do with your time once you stop the googling. I’m a graduate student, so I had a lot of time where I was unstructured and I’d end up on google. Get away from your computer, go outside, say yes when your friend invites you to do something. Go shopping, take up knitting or hiking. Anything to keep you away from google and screens. I’m seeing my therapist once a week and a psychiatrist once a month. My GP knows what’s going on and he has been wonderful as well. Trust these people. They don’t want to get it wrong, they are there to help you. I really did think I was dying. I thought every holiday would be my last with my kids. I feel tons better now and am actually feeling pretty happy. It’s all about breaking the cycle. I’m certainly a work in progress, but I’ve put a plan in place with therapy to help me cope with the scary feeling when they come up. Exercise is also a great way to burn off adrenaline.
Don’t underestimate the damage and dysfunction severe anxiety can cause in your body. It sent my GI system on a wild ride that I’m still recovering from. Be kind to yourself always. It isn’t your fault you’ve got the awful HA, but it is up to you and within your power to do something about it. If you stay strong and stick to your goals, you can feel better. That’s really what we’re all after. This was my own personal path to finding happiness again, and it feels amazing.

Halle0587
28-02-18, 03:24
Thank you for this. My physical symptoms just started shinning through. I worked myself up over a routine physical. I was convinced I’d get bad results from my routine labs. Not even certain why, I had no symptoms. I just figured I’d be hit out of the blue. Labs were great, but a dark line on my toe nail had my GP send me to a podiatrist urgently. That scared me to death. Since then I have been questioning the podiatrist. I can’t see movement, but I’m trying not to obsess and I definitely don’t google it anymore.
However, every time I start to calm down I end up being triggered again. This time it was because of the flu. A local healthy man passed because of it and a neighbor told me. I panicked. Then my son who is almost two ran a fever of 100.5, barely a fever, but I went into CBT planning mode. I prayed hard and constantly to be safe if we got it, to be strong, to be determined, and healthy. I’m not sure if it’s allergies or a tooth, he has a tough time with seasonal allergies-my whole household does, so I’m praying that’s all it is if it’s not a tooth.
Now my panic is running down my left arm, jaw pain, back pain, rapid heart beat, etc. It scares me so much. My GP is aware and my bc my labs were all great he said he feels it’s anxiety, but would run tests on my heart if this kept happening to make sure. I am currently reading DARE: The new way to stop anxiety and end panic attacks by Barry McDonagh. I’m hoping it helps me. I’ve never had physical symptoms outside of a panic attack, so this is new for me and incredibly scary.
Thank you for sharing your advice!

Anxiousamyj
28-02-18, 03:42
My two daughters and I both had the flu. I had it first and I dealt with it, although it was rough. When my 10 year old caught it, I was so panicky. My 8 year old caught it a couple days later and I was a mess. We go through it, although the fevers were the highest they’ve ever had and my 8 year old needed steroids for her breathing. I totally understand the flu fear. I also sympathize with the anxiety about blood tests. I wish the results could just be immediate. I’d pay extra for that! I had a heart scare a couple years ago as well and wore a halter monitor for 48 hours. It was totally normal. With this latest anxiety bout, I definitely had the rapid heart rate and back pain. My back pain is now starting to ease with regular yoga practice. My doctor ran thyroid tests on me the last time I was in because my HR was in the 130s. It was normal of course. Hang in there. So awesome that you aren’t googling! Stay strong. This HA is really the worst.