PDA

View Full Version : Even when relieved, stress can linger on.

vatatea
28-02-18, 18:09
I have been waging a battle with hypochondria all my life and 'have been engaged in a mighty two front war for the last month.

The first installment involved manic worrying and stomach clenching cyber research on behalf of my husband - that worked out ok (thank God!) but the whole experience put ME out on a fragile limb of lingering super anxiety.

I have found this to be true in the past, also. Extreme anxiety doesn't go away just because the primary cause is alleviated - it hangs around looking for more trouble which is just what is going on for me now.

After HIS health crisis ended I began searching for another one to replace it - why? In some nutty fashion do I enjoy being scared out of my wits? Is it an excuse to have another cocktail in the evening as a payback for my suffering? Is it because of self hatred and desire to torture myself and ruin my life?

Many times when I'm going on vacation, for example, I will come up with some THING health related and then torture (there's that word again!) myself while I'm on vacation therefore spoiling any fun or relaxation I might have. Even though I'm on to my "tricks" - I still fall for them!!! Sap!

So guess what? Am I happy and relieved that my husband's cancer scare is eliminated???? No way - I found a NEW ONE to hyperventilate over - all my own!!

Off to the dermatologist Friday. Sigh....when all else fails I will always find something on my skin that is alarming. I can spend hours going over those suspicious mole mages on Google must be a zillion out there - I've seen 'em all!!

Wish me luck and thanks for reading.

melfish
28-02-18, 18:47
Goodness, did I write this??

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

I am going on vacation on Saturday ... and everything you just said

Fishmanpa
28-02-18, 19:14
Even when relieved, stress can linger on.

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

Positive thoughts

ktdid2000
28-02-18, 19:41
Amen sister!

Seriously, this is how health anxiety can stretch on for YEARS and DECADES. I only recently realized this since I do have spans of time where I feel I've finally beaten it and it goes away for a month or two (or more!).

BUT, it always comes back like an unwelcome guest. I think it's my outlet for my own anxiety which isn't always about health - whenever I feel vulnerable or anxious about something it comes out as health anxiety.

But yeah, the seeking something out part, that is brutal and I've done that too. :(

vatatea
01-03-18, 01:48
Yet, even more sad that can be believed (!) as aware as I am regarding my "set ups" to misery land---- I am 100% nervous and on total edge about the derma appointment Friday.

100% that THIS one will be the BIG one that I have been dreading for so many years!

I told you it was sad!

ktdid2000
01-03-18, 16:37
100% that THIS one will be the BIG one that I have been dreading for so many years!

1000% true.

BUT it never happens! Hubby is convinced that I will worry myself into being 94 years old and dying of natural causes in my sleep. And spent all that time worrying about what never happened. Somehow in karma land, I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen myself. :D

worriermama
01-03-18, 17:03
I experience this too. After my MRI last summer showed that I had migraines with aura, not a brain tumor, I was relieved for about eight hours before I decided it must be some OTHER neurological thing, and settled on ALS (I had been twitching a ton, probably due to all my stress over the migraine symptom). That went on for a few months. I feel your pain. And I'm still twitching!