PDA

View Full Version : Advice plz.

Scaredtoo
02-03-18, 20:46
A bit of background. I had total hip replacement surgery on December 12. I was given a day of IV antibitoics and went home the following day. Was put on aspirin, Celebrex, senna, hydrocodone, phenargan etc. This was in addition to my Zoloft and Wellbutrin which I’ve been on about 18 months. By January 2, I had developed an infection in my finger and was put on antibiotics for 10 days. On January 18 I developed a UTI and was put on another course of antibiotics for 7 days. Approximately two weeks later I developed digestive issues. Mainly very soft stools with some diarrhea, having to go frequently, and then cramping. Now I’m just full blown paranoid about any twinge or feeling in my stomach. I’m analyzing my stool. I’m avoiding eating and even avoiding certain foods. I find myself not wanting to eat because having a bowel movement causes me fear. I have no blood that I’ve seen. Occasional mucus. And I mean very occasional (maybe once or twice at most). One day I’m feeling okay the next day I’m not. I can’t tell if this stomach pain is because I’m focusing so much on it or what? I’m beyond frustrated. Finally made an appt with a gastro doc for Tuesday March 6.

I had a sigmoidoscopy last August in 2017 which was fine. Trying not to panic but it’s hard because I foolishly googled.

Any advice (and I know none of us are doctors) would be great. Just trying to make it to Tuesday without going insane

au Lait
02-03-18, 21:59
Antibiotics mess up the flora in your GI tract. They don’t just kill the bad bacteria, but the good bacteria as well.

Try taking a probiotic for awhile. Eat yogurt with live and activite cultures. It may take awhile for your system to normalize.

This is a normal bodily response to being on antibiotics for awhile.