PDA

View Full Version : Deep thinking is giving me horrendous anxiety pls help

jeffjones
18-02-18, 02:51
Hey guy Im 19 years old in school and for some reason I've been stuck on the big questions in life. Ive always had a set belief system but lately I've been plaguing myself with all these unanswerable big questions. Sometimes they make me nervous thinking about it. It just been bothering me for a couple months now. Its hard to shift my thoughts at times. Ive been thinking about everything religion, philosophy, the universe, earth, humanity and at times its been overwhelming to think about. its been a struggle for because i feel like a lot of people either don't understand or they just don't really care but lately its all i can think about. Ive always been motivated and productive but this pattern of thinking has been affecting me socially, athletically, and academically. I just want to know how u guys approach this and I would appreciate any advice to get my mind off this stuff.

Juustopallo
18-02-18, 17:34
Few things:
You might feel like you must feel grounded in your stable belief system all the time. That's not a helpful belief. These are questions no one know the answers to. It's ok to not know the answers. Compulsively trying to figure out the meaning of the universe is motivated by your fear of uncertainty. Not by interest. Am I right?
You might also feel like you have to solve this problem before moving on with your life. This need to solve the big questions (to feel safe, grounded and certain) is actually what keeps you engaging in all kinds of compulsions that lead to obsessions. You need to solve nothing! Let that uncertainty be, learn to handle it in a healthy manner and focus on more fun and important things! This is how you can move on my friend!

jeffjones
24-02-18, 17:10
Hey guys please reply pls, the more replies the better anyways Im 19 yrs old I'm athletic and artistic I don't do drugs or drink. A few months a back i had a bad panic attack which led to depression and eventually existential thoughts. I don't think I have dp but its been hard to let go of these existential thoughts. Im religious but at the same time for some reason i keep sweating the idea of solipsism i wonder what this is this because my perception of reality is all i know i wonder if the people around me are in the same moment or if they even exist i know that sounds crazy but i don't believe it the idea just bothers me very much. I think about how absurd time is and if my present is the same as everyone elses and the more I think about it the more it bothers me. Im scared of becoming psychotic because the more i think about this stuff the more I don't know what to believe. But I'm in so deep its tough. I also wonder if I'm in a simulation because i read that elon musk thought it was a possibility. If And that makes me a little uneasy because i can't prove it. When i think deeply everything starts to seem absurd like how did i land up on this planet in the middle of the universe. Its fascinating butt at the same time it bothers me sometimes and makes it harder to engage in certain things like working out and playing sports, things which i used to enjoy tremendously like it makes me nervous because these thoughts have been suffocating. It bothers me because i wonder if I'm sharing the experience with other people i just want to know that for sure. If that makes sense at all can u guys please give me advice to get through this. Im very ambitious and i want to help other people. I just need someone to help guide me through this phase. It just bothers me for whatever reason. I believe in god but for some reason I can't let go of these thoughts. I think about the cosmos, philosophy, all types of irrational thoughts and it just gives me anxiety can someone please help guide me through this. Its like all of sudden Ive realized these things, it sucks because this stuff didn't bother me before but now it consumes me. any advice or coaching would be much appreciated. These thoughts have made the my past few months dreadful to say the least. I never had ocd tendencies before but these thoughts have become obsessive and literally its all i think about. Its changed daily vibes completely everything feels weird and absurd which just fuels the questioning and the anxiety. I don't think I have dp but I think depression and anxiety has led me to deep questioning. The more i think about it the more it makes me sick pls help. Im scared I'm going crazy. My thoughts are getting pretty absurd.

Sparky16
24-02-18, 17:43
*Stops to Google solipsism*

Are you taking philosophy classes in college? I think this is a known side effect of that.

I had some similar anxiety when I was your age, and this cartoon made an impact on me:

https://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/bc17.jpg

The point is that you can't think about big things all the time, and it's important to "revel in the mundane" as I put it. Watch corny sitcoms, engage in a hobby, enjoy simple things in your life. If you think too much about the big stuff, you'll lose your balance on that perch on top of the chimney.

Fishmanpa
24-02-18, 18:00
Based on your post history and that every thread is on the same subject and more or less the same verbiage, it appears you're on an OCD type cycle of repetitive thoughts. It might be best to seek some real life professional help to assist you in breaking the cycle your in.

Positive thoughts

jeffjones
24-02-18, 18:43
*Stops to Google solipsism*

Are you taking philosophy classes in college? I think this is a known side effect of that.

I had some similar anxiety when I was your age, and this cartoon made an impact on me:

https://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/bc17.jpg

The point is that you can't think about big things all the time, and it's important to "revel in the mundane" as I put it. Watch corny sitcoms, engage in a hobby, enjoy simple things in your life. If you think too much about the big stuff, you'll lose your balance on that perch on top of the chimney.

Yeah I'm taking a religion and philosophy class but what blows my mind is how little we know about the universe. And all the big questions and thoughts such as how did i land up on earth in a vast universe or what is reality and time just really get to me now. I think its because i never gave it a 2nd thought before but its like everything is a mystery so I've questioned it somewhat pessimistically u could say but i can't get a grasp on it and it makes me feel disconnected from everything. Now i find myself overthinking shit i always took for granted and its been very taxing. Overthinking i guess is y problem but everything is just mind blowing now to me and it used to be the norm. If that makes sense I'm scared its changing me in a bad way. Im not very happy anymore. i hope that makes sense I'm just tired of these thoughts

NervUs
24-02-18, 19:07
Yeah I'm taking a religion and philosophy class but what blows my mind is how little we know about the universe. And all the big questions and thoughts such as how did i land up on earth in a vast universe or what is reality and time just really get to me now.

Does it really matter why you landed on Earth? It doesn't change the fact that you are here and have not choice but to make the best of it. Sure, maybe none of us exists....but really....who cares if we do or don't? If you think you exist, you exist (<---- grave ba$tardization of Descartes) so proceed as if you do. And if it's not fun to consider all the different philosophies of existence, DON'T do it. Thinking life through is not intended to substitute for living a life and finding the meaning in it.

That's where I basically am with it all- there's no point, life doesn't make sense, there's lot about human society not to like BUT you've got to carve out your own meaning because you've got 80+ years to deal with being here. Find what you find meaningful and fill your life with that. Apparently, that's NOT philosophy!!!! :-)

jeffjones
24-02-18, 21:33
Just the thought of loneliness scares the shit out of me i guess i just want to know Im not alone I know I exist because I have a 1st person perception with a conscious if that doesn't prove it idk what else would. But since i can't prove other people do it scares me. I just need support or something. Its like I'm smart enough to come up with crazy philosophical ideas but I'm too dumb to dismiss them for my own sake. My latest obsession is time now I constantly wonder if we all perceive at least a similar reality at the same time if that makes sense. Its like the more I question stuff the more scares. I went my whole life up to this point and I was able to dismiss these thoughts but now they consume me and I wonder if i was being nieve for not thinking about this stuff all along. Im starting to feel alien to myself and environment I hope that doesn't mean Im losing it. Between Solipsism, simulation, and time I would say those are three things eating at me the most.

melfish
25-02-18, 00:56
Whatever you do, stay away from Emil Cioran ..

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-18, 02:08
Have you read the threads on the OCD board about this? Other than the DP/DP board it's rarely posted anywhere else.

If you see what those who've been through this theme say you will find analysing it really just sucks you further in. Nothing can be proved either way so it clashes with All-or-nothing thinking and learning to accept thoughts will help you much more.

jeffjones
25-02-18, 03:15
The fact that i can question reality messes with me the most i just need help digesting that. Its a new concept that has been really messing with me. I just want to know for sure I'm not alone in some matrix. I don't really believe it but then again what can I believe the more I think the more absurd it gets I just want my life back. These concepts are way to heavy for me to digest at the moment. I just want to know I share a similar reality with others if I can prove that i will have comfort.

bin tenn
25-02-18, 04:24
I've dealt with existential anxiety. In hindsight, it's not the worst, as I experienced much worse anxieties. However, existential anxiety can be quite a doozy, sometimes consuming the bulk of one's thoughts on any given day. It doesn't cause anxiety for me anymore, but I enjoy researching the various theories, entertaining the thoughts that perhaps we are just in a matrix or similar. Is it realistic? I don't think so. But it's still interesting to think about.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-18, 04:45
You can't prove it, no one can. That's the rabbit hole of this OCD theme. It plays right into the All-or-nothing thinking Cognitive Distortion - you want to know but no human being has that answer.

The same can be said for many things in life and learning to live with the shades of grey rather demanding absolutes is important to anxiety sufferers.

You could talk to your tutor about this problem and they might be able to give you some tips on their material as they have likely come across anxiety over this before. Otherwise therapy is a good route.

But you won't come out of it knowing 100% how existence works because no one can. Learning not to care is more important.

When you get into obsessive thinking patterns you start to notice (well once you realise it) how you demand total & complete answers to things. This may be how does a plug work or it may but how does the universe work but neither should bring you anxiety if you don't find the answer.

Look at any compulsions too. They will just prolong it all.

What material have you read about this? Not your learning material or resources but about this theme in OCD? The two are very different things.

jeffjones
25-02-18, 08:29
How do u comfort yourself despite all the unanswerable questions. It just seems surreal to me that Im in a situation of unknown. Its like we don't know anything about life. Its scary to me. Right now time is concerning too. Like what is the present it all bothers me tremendously. Its scary because i want to believe in reality but all these questions make me feel like believing in reality is foolish. Its crazy once I post this this message will be in my past. I just hope we all perceive reality at the same rate thats all. This stuff gets to me because Ive come to the conclusion that my perception is all I know so the fact that it can be questioned freaks me out a little bit. Part of me wants to cling to this because theres no proof but deep down I know its not healthy or natural. Its hard I wasn't prepared to handle the big questions I guess. All the theories are too crazy like why can't there just be a couple theres so many weird, scary one out there. I just want to be at peace with all this shit so I can lead a productive happy life. My thinking patterns rn make everything feel weird and deep. Im scared if i continue ill become disconnected from life.

bin tenn
25-02-18, 13:56
How do u comfort yourself despite all the unanswerable questions. It just seems surreal to me that Im in a situation of unknown. Its like we don't know anything about life. Its scary to me. Right now time is concerning too. Like what is the present it all bothers me tremendously. Its scary because i want to believe in reality but all these questions make me feel like believing in reality is foolish. Its crazy once I post this this message will be in my past. I just hope we all perceive reality at the same rate thats all. This stuff gets to me because Ive come to the conclusion that my perception is all I know so the fact that it can be questioned freaks me out a little bit. Part of me wants to cling to this because theres no proof but deep down I know its not healthy or natural. Its hard I wasn't prepared to handle the big questions I guess. All the theories are too crazy like why can't there just be a couple theres so many weird, scary one out there. I just want to be at peace with all this shit so I can lead a productive happy life. My thinking patterns rn make everything feel weird and deep. Im scared if i continue ill become disconnected from life.

You accept the unknown. We don't, and probably never will, have the answers. Simple as that.

jeffjones
03-03-18, 01:24
Hey guys Im 19 yrs old I'm athletic and artistic. A few months a back i had a bad panic attack which led to depression and eventually existential thoughts. I don't think have dp but its been hard to let go of these existential thoughts. Im religious but at the same time for some reason i keep sweating the idea of solipsism i wonder what this is this because my perception of reality is all i know i wonder if the people around me are in the same moment or if they even exist i know that sounds crazy but i don't believe it the idea just bothers me very much. I also wonder if I'm in a simulation because i read that elon musk thought it was a possibility. And that makes me a little uneasy because i can't prove it. When i think deeply everything starts to seem absurd like how did i land up on this planet in the middle of the universe. Its fascinating butt at the same time it bothers me sometimes and makes it harder to engage in certain things like working out and playing sports things which i used to enjoy tremendously. It bothers me because i wonder if I'm sharing the experience with other people i just want to know that for sure. I even wonder if life is a dream rather than reality it freaks me out. If that makes sense at all can u guys please give me advice to get through this. Im very ambitious and i want to help other people. I just need someone to help guide me through this phase. It just bothers me for whatever reason. I believe in god but for some reason I can't let go of these thoughts. I think about the cosmos, philosophy, all types of irrational thoughts and it just gives me anxiety can someone please help guide me through this. Its like all of sudden Ive realized these things, it sucks because this stuff didn't bother me before but now it consumes me. any advice or coaching would be much appreciated. Its like i can't change my train of thought I find myself spinning wheels on this stuff almost all day only to discover something new that bothers me. Ive been dealing with these thoughts for a couple months now I just want peace of mind so I can just move on. The more i think about this stuff the more absurd it all gets. pls help sometimes i feel like I'm on the verge of convincing my self of an irrational philosophy. pls help I'm feeling hopeless and trapped, idk what to believe anymore

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-18, 01:56

I guess you could ask yourself - if you knew the true answers behind it all, what would it change? Would it change the way you would or could live your life? Why? Would it make no difference and your life would be lived the same way as anyone who never even asked the question?

So, why is it important?

These types of themes can't be resolved quite the same as others because there has to be uncertainly left at the end. This is a problem because we demand absolute answers. So, you change strategy to work on acceptance and living in the now.

Missb89
03-03-18, 03:43
I’ve had a complete existential breakdown that threw me into a severely deep depression, and I thought that I would never come out of it but I did. I’m still struggling heavily with health anxiety, but I don’t feel anything like that deep dark void that I felt when nothing felt real or that really mattered.

jeffjones
03-03-18, 04:37
how did u come out I'm almost feel like its too crazy to be real

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-18, 04:42
Whatever you do, stay away from Emil Cioran ..

Or that psychologist who wrote papers on his own bouts of existential depression where he bases much on an old psychologist who is largely unknown due to his debunked views (Debrowski?)

jeffjones
03-03-18, 04:47
do u want me too look him up like whats the point of quoting this

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-18, 05:05
Given you are studying such subjects I imagine you have heard plenty of people mentioned? Just pointing out there is junk out there by people who look credible and to not look them up.

Missb89
03-03-18, 05:12
how did u come out I'm almost feel like its too crazy to be real

Not to get more existential but I just had to live through the suffering and it lasted for a few months and then I came out of it. Come to think of it it was the worst in the winter and it got better by the spring. Nothing lasts forever not fear not depression. You will come out of it.

ana
03-03-18, 10:51
I used to struggle with the same thoughts as you and so I know how terrible it can be. I think it was that way of thinking and questioning my own existence and the reality around me that caused me to have my first panic attack... and all the subsequent ones. It was what had opened the Pandora's box and now I can't close it back any more.

I don't think there's anything you can do other than discipline yourself to just accept, whatever it is that's bothering you, as being true. If nothing is real, accept it; if you're living in a simulation, accept it. Try and just let go, practice mindfulness or read more on derealisation to try and cope.

nomorepanic
03-03-18, 12:40
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

jeffjones
03-03-18, 22:37
I used to struggle with the same thoughts as you and so I know how terrible it can be. I think it was that way of thinking and questioning my own existence and the reality around me that caused me to have my first panic attack... and all the subsequent ones. It was what had opened the Pandora's box and now I can't close it back any more.

I don't think there's anything you can do other than discipline yourself to just accept, whatever it is that's bothering you, as being true. If nothing is real, accept it; if you're living in a simulation, accept it. Try and just let go, practice mindfulness or read more on derealisation to try and cope.

what do u believe? do u have faith inspite of your fear. Because I can assure u I'm real. Im just denying all the positive evidence personally i guess because there are more negative theories than positive ones. I never had these thoughts until a couple months ago and i was happy af. Now I'm miserable because its almost to real or good to be true theres gotta be some bullshit idk tho. Im scared i can't unsee some of theories I've read about and thought of; even if they are not real i still can't refute them Im just lost rn. Its robbed me of passion and love and i feel empty with a headache. Its like im forced to go with the flow no matter what. I literally can't prove anything. I cant prove literally anything i guess I've realized life is just 100% based on faith. Which is kind of depressing. I had goals and aspirations, passions and love before and now I'm broken. I can't wrap my head around it. everything just seems more absurd the deeper i get.

MyNameIsTerry
04-03-18, 01:46
Obsession just sucks you in deeper. It's giving importance to the fear so it just reinforces itself.

Trying to find the right philosophy really won't help as it will only be eaten away at by doubts. It's more productive to work on learning to accept uncertainty.

jeffjones
04-03-18, 04:51
Obsession just sucks you in deeper. It's giving importance to the fear so it just reinforces itself.

Trying to find the right philosophy really won't help as it will only be eaten away at by doubts. It's more productive to work on learning to accept uncertainty.

i suppose but that doesn't sound right. someone must be able to reach me. its a process but what do u think personally?

MyNameIsTerry
04-03-18, 07:10
I can appreciate that, Jeff. I don't mean you will never be able to determine what you want to believe, just that you have to understand when it's becoming unhealthy and work on your anxiety first (which seems tricky when you are being taught about all this stuff right now). Then it may mean you continue with your search from there.

There is nothing to say you can't frame a conclusion and then halt the searching. Anxiety makes us want to keep searching and re-checking for little benefit so we can examine the evidence and come to a conclusion that we then refer back to when the doubts come. Tricky with subjects like this as they mean lots of information which can be tempting for us to get sucked into.

For me the big questions are not relevant to my life. The same with religion. I'm a soft Agnostic. Show me proof and I'll believe otherwise I'll just go on living however I can but I won't search for proof at the cost of my own life. The big questions may be an interesting read but that's where they stay for me since I place more value of how I live my life in regards to other people does it make me a decent person.

I think a good person to raise some of this to is your teacher. They must be used to questions about all this and how it can be worrying for their students to be confronted with so many enormous questions and information overload.

As far as the anxiety goes, you don't need to resolve a theme of it to get better. There are many ways to work on anxiety and not all of them mean direct action against the theme.

jeffjones
04-03-18, 08:20
i just think life is beautifully absurd its a lot to wrap ur head around when u think deeply about it. I just want to find closure with it. The odds of all this seem extremely slim without god, in my opinion literally impossible but at the same time i suppose a matrix could be nearly as possible. I find it hard to believe others don't take time to analyze these questions. I mean i didn't before but now it would seem delusional not too considering this is my reality. Im looking for closure/peace of mind. i just feel alone and philosophical circular arguments get to me for whatever reason.

ana
04-03-18, 09:20
Jeff, I believe I exist. My thoughts do, as does my reality. The truth is, it doesn't matter what I believe because I'm in this reality whether I want to be or not. I try and just live and be calm and not torture myself with existential thoughts. I really hope you can try and stop obsessing over the thoughts that upset you and cause you anxiety. :)

jeffjones
04-03-18, 16:50
ur right i guess just trying to go with the flow is the answer but it bothers me because i previously never thought this stuff could be questioned tbh. it takes away from the experience i feel like.

laurapdilla320
04-03-18, 16:55
Maybe you should change your course of study. I assume that is intensifying if not, causing your anxieties. Allow yourself to mentally mature more and in a few years, if you're interested, go back and try studying the subject again.

Sent from my Z835 using Tapatalk

Pkstracy
11-03-18, 19:28
I know this is an old thread but I would like to chime in, I was raised and baptized as a Southern Baptist, I tried to follow what was preached and such, every time I went to church I felt like something was missing or I just felt like I didn't belong, I would always question everything, I met a friend who is Catholic and I decided to go to mass with her, I was sitting there and I was like okay this is kind of what I am looking for, fast forward to 2015, I am telling my husband about how I used to feel each time I went to church and how I felt closer to nature and such and some of the things I was telling him made him suggest to me that I look into becoming wiccan, I was like um but isn't that witch craft and devil worship, he laughed and said go look it up, so I looked it up, ordered some books started reading about it and when I made the decision to become wiccan/witch, I felt such peace, I felt like I finally came home, so what I am trying to say to you, depending on what your belief system is, it's okay to want to learn about other religions, it's better to seek out knowledge for yourself instead of relying on what others say, as soon as I stopped doing that, I found peace, give yourself permission that it's okay to do what you are talking about, I am not saying become wiccan, or whatever, but find what works for you and makes you happy, no matter what others may think.