PDA

View Full Version : I'm back, still terrified of type 2 diabetes. New symptoms

Lunabell
22-11-17, 23:14
Hello! Well, I have always suffered from major issues with health anxiety and right now I'm going through some things.

First thing, I am from the USA. I haven't been getting much help on other health anxiety fourms. I bring this up because I think you guys read a1c and fasting glucose differently. So I hope some of you can understand my results. I think my a1c of 5.1 would be high with how it's done in the UK? While in the US, anything under 5.6 is normal.

A few days ago I have been having cramping pain in my right calf. I was paranoid I had a blood cot. It's doing better now. Though, blood clot still in the back of my mind.

Right now my big toes on both feet and my fingers have a odd tingle, warm pain.I am scared of diabetes, my mother in law has it and was just diagnosed with stage 4 kidney disese because of it. 2 years ago my test results were a1c of 5.1 and fasting glucose of 90. I had a test around summer, forgot what the numbers were but doctor said everything was fine. Saw different doctor since my other one moved, this was in September. A1c is still the same but fasting glucose was 115. Doctor thinks it's a fluke and wasn't worried, I asked for a oral glucose test but he doesn't think I need it.

I am a stress eater and I do eat too much crap, which makes me worried more. I will eat healthy for a bit but go back to crap when I am feeling very stressed.

*Also, lately my tounge has been having this odd burning numb feeling and feels dry. I worry now about oral thrush, I have had this a few times before. I read diabeties can cause it to keep coming back.. I am a mouth breather due to a crooked nose and air has been dry but I keep thinking it's linked to diabeties. My tounge doesn't look like pictures of oral thrush, I have white coating but doesn't look the same...

Doctor wants me to retest in 6 months and I have been going through hell because I'm convinced I am diabetic. That 115 reading sent me over the edge. I have also had blurry vision, seeing things far away I told the doctor that and he laughed and said people's vision can change over time and its not from diabeties.

I have no other symptoms of diabeties, no peeing too much or feeling thirsty all the time. I don't feel super tired, etc. I fear I'm unlucky and got the symptoms that aren't typical to be diagnosed.

Hope you guys can help me feel better, already skipping thanksgiving because I'm too scared to eat now with the other symptoms that have been coming up.

AntsyVee
22-11-17, 23:21
I'm married to a diabetic. Even IF your readings are accurate (which is doesn't sound like they are, and your doc probably needs to have you get tested with an endocrinologist), you won't go into a diabetic coma from eating T-day meals. If you were that diabetic, you'd be having symptoms already...and you're not.

Your family member having stage 4 kidney disease is from many years of untreated and/or out-of-control diabetes. You are no where near that, even IF you are diabetic.

Even IF you do get diagnosed with diabetes, caught early, it's reversible. And even if it's not caught that early, it's a treatable, livable condition with most people.

Simply said, you are overreacting.

Lunabell
23-11-17, 00:29
Thanks for the reply!

I know I'm overreacting, my health anxiety is bad. Busting a car windshield during a panic attack bad.. I really fear diabeties which is ironic since I eat like crap from being stressed. It's a very scary diease because for some people, they can be on meds, perfect weight and eat healthy but still can't control it. My mother in law got worse because she didn't manage it but still scary too see what it does.

My husband thinks some of my symptoms are anxiety related, he thinks my high fasting glucose is from being stressed. During that time, I was stressed out because I was scared I had a blood clot in my arm and was conceived 100% I did. I did also eat a lot of watermelon the day before, wish I can remember what time I stopped eating (schedule isn't normal). I asked on a diabeties thread and they said the watermelon wouldn't cause the high reading. Diabetes thread wasn't helpful since people were all over the place with my readings.

Just wish I could get over this but once I stop worrying about diabeties, I'll be worried about the next thing I think I have. I try to tell myself some of my symptoms are anxiety related but its hard for me to believe that.

AntsyVee
23-11-17, 03:31
There is a connection between low blood sugar and anxiety. I’ve never heard of high blood sugar causing it, but bodies do some amazing things while anxious.

It sounds like you really need to get some help for your HA.

Lunabell
25-11-17, 08:51
Looks like I have oral thrush, this is causing me to go into major panic mode over it being a sign of diabeties. I noticed a white patch near the tip of my tounge this morning and it hurts like hell. I woke up feeling like someone lit my tounge on fire. I'll be going to urgent care in the morning :weep:

Towelie
25-11-17, 17:30
I had this scare about 2 years ago. Mine was different as i was urinating crazy frequently and it was always yellow no matter how much water I drank and it was hell. Ended up testing negative and basically being laughed at by The walk in clinic doctor. Sure enough, after my mind was put at ease, the symptoms disappeared within a couple days.

The anxiety is wreaking havoc on your nervous system which is causing the symptoms (which are causing the anxiety). If it were me, I would accept that I could deal with being diabetic if it came to that (but remain positive that it wont). And then just dismiss the symptoms as anxiety and believe that they will go away in a week or 2 if you can stop worrying. Obviously you should still get tested but try to remain positive that it's a "just in case test and not a diagnosis.

You're trying so hard to prevent diabetes that your body thinks it is in immediate danger and is entering fight or flight mode.

I wish there was an easy way to deal with this sort of thing. I believe in you! You can get through it!

Lunabell
27-11-17, 23:18
Just an update.

I saw a different doctor on Saturday. She saw the patch on my tounge and prescribed me liquid nystatin. She did a mouth swab and I will get the results in a few days. I brought up my test results and concern over diabeties, she didn't seem worried because my a1c is normal. I do worry that my a1c could be wrong, I read it's not always correct and accurate.

Though, today hasn't been good. Don't know if thrush got worse, tounge is more white and I can barely taste anything. I also haven't drank much and my pee is clear as water and I'm peeing a lot, it also looks like there are some black specks in it. I'm worried about diabeties now with kidney diease/damage. I was doing a bit better with anxiety yesterday but now with the urine issues, it's back full force. There isn't any pain when I pee. This is so stressful, feels like my health is going down the shitter so fast.

AntsyVee
28-11-17, 02:31
Well, the majority of it is all in your head. Let’s look at the facts: you had a cold sore outbreak and you are anxious. That’s all we know you have. You don’t have diabetes as confirmed by your A1c. Time to start talking back to the intrusive thoughts.

Lunabell
28-11-17, 09:31
I just worry that maybe the a1c could be wrong or it hasn't caught up to what my fasting glucose shows. I'm afraid of not being taken seriously since I went through that before. Had bad headaches and neck pain as a teen, was put on a bunch of meds I didn't need, had brain catscans and an MRI. Saw many different doctors over the years. Then I was told it was depression and in my head, I gave up. Saw someone else when I moved, they did scans on my neck. My vertebrae in my neck is messed up, took about 10 years to get that figured out.

So, I worry about not being taken seriously, then I find out years later something really was wrong. I wish I could just get an oral glucose test to see how my body handles sugar but no one thinks I need it.

Lunabell
03-03-18, 09:34
I made a thread a while back about my diabetes fear. High fasting blood glucose with a normal a1c and doc thinking it's a fluke.

Well, today I will be getting retested. I'm terrified it will come back positive because of newer symptoms. I'm scared that this time, it's not my anxiety.

I have been having strange feelings in hands and feet. My finger tips hurt and tingle. Feels strange typing on the phone, sometimes feels like small cuts. My toes have been tingling too with burning feelings. If I dip my toes in water, they feel like they are on fire. My finger tips look wrinkled, like they been in water. I'm not dehydrated and have been using lotion.

I'm scared this is neropathy from diabetes. My BS was in the prediabetec range, so I would have to be unlucky to get it so early. Could also mean it turned into full-blown diabeties and it's progressing fast, which makes me scared of organ damage. I also sometimes wonder if my new symptoms is kidney or liver related. I know anxiety can cause tingling but my symptoms seem more odd. I can't find the finger tip pain, wrinkling and toes burning more in water being related to anxiety. I read wrinkled fingers can be from diabetes, kidney or liver issues.

Has anyone here had those type of symptoms from anxiety? I'm feeling so depressed and hopeless. Waiting for my results is going to be hell.

Elen
03-03-18, 10:16
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

AntsyVee
03-03-18, 18:41
Yep...those are anxiety.

So what were your results?

WiseMonkey
03-03-18, 21:19
Peripheral neuropathy doesn't set in until you've had diabetes for many years, so you can put that symptom aside.

Lunabell
04-03-18, 03:52
Yep...those are anxiety.

So what were your results?

I don't have my new results yet, I just went to lab today and will find out next week. Just never had the burning feet with it getting worse in water and painful, wrinkled fingers without being exposed to water before. Couldn't find anyone else with those symptoms with anxiety.

My last results were a1c at 5.1 and fasting glucose 115.

Peripheral neuropathy doesn't set in until you've had diabetes for many years, so you can put that symptom aside.

I read more pre-diabetics are getting neuropathy, so I am worried.

AntsyVee
04-03-18, 05:32
Again, even in the slim chance that you do have it, it's treatable.

Lunabell
04-03-18, 06:22
Again, even in the slim chance that you do have it, it's treatable.

I know...it's just still scary. Knowing it progresses slowly no matter how well you manage it. Doesn't help that there were recent studies showing higher mortality rates with those who were diagnosed younger, from heart disease and stroke caused by diabetes.

Lunabell
04-03-18, 12:13
I should be sleeping but my anxiety is keeping me awake. I found this photo of small fiber neuropathy from diabetes and my fingers look like photo D.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Wrinkling-scale_fig3_256542373

Making me feel more hopeless, if i do have it and got
Neuropathy that fast, I'm scared organ damage could be possible.

AntsyVee
04-03-18, 18:00
When are you going to seek treatment for your anxiety?

jrcoleman
04-03-18, 18:39
The mind is an amazing tool. What you tell it to believe it can manifest in real life for you. If you tell it you have the symptoms, you more than likely will see the symptoms, even though you don't have the disease. You numbers are excellent. You are not even considered pre-diabetic. I wish my numbers, A1C and fasting were like yours. Eat healthy, stay away from crap food that is bagged, canned or full of chemicals and I am sure you will be fine. Try to stay as close to natural as you can and if you have a history of diabetes in the family, you might just be able to avoid it. We are all going to die one day. Just a fact of life. But we have the choice to die while we are alive by not living (and worrying about death) or go on living and deal with death when our time comes.

Lunabell
05-03-18, 10:48
When are you going to seek treatment for your anxiety?

I have had therapy, been in mental hospitals and tried many different meds since I was teen. Nothing has helped me, meds only give me crappy side effects. Between different meds, I suffred from shaking and pacing around, rapid heart rate, bad constipation that made me stop eating and being too tired to function. Xanax kinda helped but made me feel like it blunted my emotions. Don't think that is good long term and doctors refuse to prescribe it long term. I recently been on trazodone for insomnia but it stopped working, my doctor tried an increased dose that treats anxiety. Didn't work and for some reason, high doeses give me panic attacks.

Weed is legal where I live and my doctor asked if I tried that. I did but I had a major panic attack on it, then I had panic attacks everyday all day for months after that.

Lunabell
06-03-18, 04:25
I got my results today! My a1c actually went down to 4.7 and my fasting glucose is 92.:D

Scass
06-03-18, 06:30
So that’s good right?! Great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunabell
06-03-18, 10:03
So that’s good right?! Great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only sucky thing now is my results show high cholesterol, so I need to get that under control. I have been trying to eat low carb, lots of low carb recipes call for cheese, cream and butter. Wonder if that brought my numbers up.