PDA

View Full Version : Reflux/GORD & Meds

Jack4440
05-03-18, 16:07
Hi,

So, I would like to vent some frustration and hopefully hear ome replies from others.

I have had reflux for around 7 years now, classic burning and ususal symptoms and was given PPI drugs to treat it. They did work, however; have flare ups and also had two endoscopies, the last being a few years back and both showed mild gastritis.

Now though, I noticed some blood in my saliva, I identified it to bleeding gums and also, had a horrible burning sensation in my nose like I snorted chilli powder. I figured this was probably LPR reflux and was irritating my gums and nasal tissue. BUT the realy odd thing is, whem I switch from Esomeprazole to Ranitidine (Zantac) for my reflux, the bleeding gums and nose burning stop within 24 hours ...... ive been 12 days off the PPI and still no nose burning or gum problems. When I return to the PPI the symptoms start again, its so bizzare.

On the ranitidine, the heartburn isn't fully controlled, so some mild burning still present .. but then I dont want to go back on PPI because of the gums and nose issues (which only started happening in the last couple of months).

So, im really frustrated now thinking that this is my life from now on. The GP suggested maybe a reaction or side effect from the PPI, but I'm not so sure.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

J

wubu
06-03-18, 10:52
Could well be a reaction. Did you ask to see if lanzoprezole is worth a shot instead?

Jack4440
06-03-18, 19:29
Could well be a reaction. Did you ask to see if lanzoprezole is worth a shot instead?

I was told to try ranitidine instead for two months but the rebound and acid reflux in unbearable so had to go back on the esomprazole. Been a few hours now and so far so good.

Might be worth a shout though. Thanks.

BikerMatt
06-03-18, 20:13
Jack, I think i read something about PPI's causing a really dry mouth. That may be something to do with your gums?

Jack4440
06-03-18, 20:30
Jack, I think i read something about PPI's causing a really dry mouth. That may be something to do with your gums?

Thanks for the reply Matt. Yeh I’ve read that too. My nose also feels like it has acid in it too shortly after eating. I had had this experience before, however; it did pass. So, I’m hopeful that it’s only a temporary phase.