PDA

View Full Version : Risk of eating house gecko or mouse/rat poop?

seedling
07-03-18, 10:44
Today, while I was drinking water from a bottle, I felt like a splash in my mouth, at first I thought it to be a drop of water from the bottle but now my ocd mind kicks in and I am thinking of the possibilities of it to be something like rat(there are a lot of them in my house) poop or house gecko(I see them occasionally) poop.What is the risk if it was any of those?

Bigboyuk
07-03-18, 12:31
Hi There is always a slight risk with poop, how ever I am concerned about the rats in your house do you have pest control services where you are? Simple rats carry deisease if you can erridicate them then that's good :) Think what you said though the risk is very low and it's your HA taking over this needs to be treated though. ATB

venusbluejeans
07-03-18, 12:36
not convinced a Rat or a gecko would climb up your bottle just to poo in your bottle of drink if I am honest........ the chances of that must be about 0.000001%

Fishmanpa
07-03-18, 12:58
not convinced a Rat or a gecko would climb up your bottle just to poo in your bottle of drink if I am honest........ the chances of that must be about 0.000001%

More like 0%! It's just a variation on the invisible bat theme.

Positive (there no rat or gecko) thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
07-03-18, 13:55
Your immune system will do an excellent job at killing harmful crap in your body. We're human, we live amongst all sorts of harmful bacteria. Chances are you likely put bad bacteria in your system multiple times a day, but the body zaps it away. You can't worry about these sort of things. If you think too hard over this you are going to develop a serious issue with OCD.

If you have rats, or a gecko infestation you should get that sorted.

Carys
07-03-18, 14:22
Not a lot you can do about the house geckos in India (tik tikkis), they are everywhere and they just live there, on the walls, behind pictures and so on,a nd are harmless to humans. I really don't think a gecko poo would have got into your bottle though, it would have to have been hanging on the ceiling above and done one, or directly gone to your bottle and held its rear end over it :winks: Same applies to rats really - a rat poo getting into a bottle seems a pretty hugely remote thing to happen. What can you do about the rats at your house - I know that 'pest control' isn't a big thing where you are - but can anyone do anything to help ? Having wild rats running freely around your home isn't pleasant and they do carry disease. I do know seedling that you also have a rabies fear, along with your friend anku, and live in fear of being near dogs and other creatures - so it sounds like you are really struggling with the Indian 'wildlife' in general. :(

WiredIncorrectly
07-03-18, 14:31
If rats are in your home and pest control isn't an option get a cat :)

NervUs
07-03-18, 17:22
This will not make you feel better, but we all eat and drink mouse poop all the time. The government regulators allow a certain amount in manufactured food. It is impossible to keep it out of the food supply entirely, apparently. It is only when it surpasses a certain level, that something would be recalled for that.

So, I would not worry about a little exposure at home, unless you are seeing it, of course. Then, EWWWW.

Bigboyuk
07-03-18, 17:29
Not in the uk it's not NervUs The various agencies would be looking in to it straight away and rightly so :) ATB

Carys
07-03-18, 17:57
FLip I hope you are right BB, but I have a horrible feeling that NervUS might be right (certainly correct for the US).....I don't want him/her to be....but.....Someone tell us ! Obviously rats and mice pooing around and near and IN food is a serious food hygiene issue, and is covered by law.....but the occassional passing little bit of faeces, errr dunno...

WiredIncorrectly
07-03-18, 18:29
This will not make you feel better, but we all eat and drink mouse poop all the time. The government regulators allow a certain amount in manufactured food. It is impossible to keep it out of the food supply entirely, apparently. It is only when it surpasses a certain level, that something would be recalled for that.

So, I would not worry about a little exposure at home, unless you are seeing it, of course. Then, EWWWW.

That is not helpful lol! But you're right, we all take food manufacturing for granted. I'm glad you raised the issue, I'll continue it. Supermarkets, and restaurants, source the cheapest meats acceptable for human consumption so they can make more of a profit. The only reason we don't know about this is because it's rarely reported. That would cause an epidemic. People assume that because we don't often hear about cases of disgusting crap in our foods that it's some how under control.

For this reason my anxiety dictates that I only buy meats from a local, trusted, butcher. I know the source of my butches meat and it's a quality source. Tesco were selling chickens with yellow knees. Thats a result of the chicken sitting in its own waste. They now bleach it off.

I don't want to scare anyone but that's the truth lol.

Carys
07-03-18, 18:35
Its the truth that mouse poo is allowed in food ? Doesn't hugely bother me as it happens, I'm veggie and generally cook from scratch most days - just thinking of the rest of you :roflmao:

WiredIncorrectly
07-03-18, 19:35
Its the truth that mouse poo is allowed in food ? Doesn't hugely bother me as it happens, I'm veggie and generally cook from scratch most days - just thinking of the rest of you :roflmao:

Ah, but what about genetically modified foods and harmful sprays that are used to protect crops from bugs/fungus/disease etc?

NervUs
07-03-18, 20:02
The American in me had to google....
This appears to be some document from the UK. If you scroll through (I did not look at the whole thing), they say there are no harms to certain gross things in food, like glowing fish, mold, larvae, etc. So, they seems to allow some vile grossness too.

You can tell me if they ever get to mouse poop!

https://www.charnwood.gov.uk/files/documents/common_food_complaints1/Common%20Food%20Complaints.pdf

Bigboyuk
07-03-18, 21:41
Ah, but what about genetically modified foods and harmful sprays that are used to protect crops from bugs/fungus/disease etc? Yeah with you on that WIC we don't know the half of it :eek: but poo in in our food NervUs No cant see it my self but will look at that file you provided how big is the file as I don't have a great deal space but its still a pc but is great for web surfing and catch up on demand tv streaming etc but it's in a stick like Amazon Fire stick that's the size of it. one downside is max memory 128GB Iam pretty sure it's not MB's that's the only reason I ask but yes pretty gross reading so far :eek: :eek: ATB

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

That is not helpful lol! But you're right, we all take food manufacturing for granted. I'm glad you raised the issue, I'll continue it. Supermarkets, and restaurants, source the cheapest meats acceptable for human consumption so they can make more of a profit. The only reason we don't know about this is because it's rarely reported. That would cause an epidemic. People assume that because we don't often hear about cases of disgusting crap in our foods that it's some how under control.

For this reason my anxiety dictates that I only buy meats from a local, trusted, butcher. I know the source of my butches meat and it's a quality source. Tesco were selling chickens with yellow knees. Thats a result of the chicken sitting in its own waste. They now bleach it off.

I don't want to scare anyone but that's the truth lol. No, but its unerveing to say the least WIC chickens raised and reared in those conditions do pose a huge health risk and with all the chemicals pumped in them should see a huge drop in chicken sales but it doesn't happen (or seem to) I don't get it? On the other hand just as maddening is some supermarkets wont sell wonky carrots or naturally bent bannanas that don't get in to the food chain
cause of health risks? No what a joke :roflmao: ATB

Fishmanpa
07-03-18, 21:48
So all this being said, one can easily see the FDA guidelines (I don't know about the UK guidelines), there's no way in hell a rat or a gecko crawled up a bottle the OP was drinking from and expertly pooed into the less that 1" opening without being noticed.

So go ahead and enjoy the allowable amounts of nasties (https://www.oola.com/lifestyle/2286741/15-totally-disgusting-things-the-government-allows-in-the-food-you-buy/#page=1) that are allowed in our foods ;)

Positive thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
07-03-18, 22:10
On the other hand just as maddening is some supermarkets wont sell wonky carrots or naturally bent bannanas that don't get in to the food chain cause of health risks? No what a joke :roflmao: ATB

:ohmy: I had never thought about it like that before, that's so true!

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Found this article on nasty crap in food: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/78x7kd/no-one-is-vegan

... the article opens with: Bad news, hypochondriacs: Your food is teeming with life LMAO!

Carys
08-03-18, 21:57
On the other hand just as maddening is some supermarkets wont sell wonky carrots or naturally bent bannanas that don't get in to the food chain cause of health risks?

...but its not because of 'health risks' is it....they haven't sold them as the consumer wants perfect produce; unblemished, not malformed and generally defectless. I buy the 'less than perfect' bags of things now, peppers, carrots, apples, whatever, don't all supermarkets do these bags of 'not perfect' things now ?

Bigboyuk
08-03-18, 22:03
...but its not because of 'health risks' is it....they haven't sold them as the consumer wants perfect produce; unblemished, not malformed and generally defectless. I buy the 'less than perfect' bags of things now, peppers, carrots, apples, whatever, don't all supermarkets do these bags of 'not perfect' things now ? True a lot of people are now going for wonky produce now. I know Morrisons sell wonky stuff but sure about Tesco's as I don't often shop there now Aldi is my main shop now they don't sell wonk produce but hell they are really cheap :) ATB

Fishmanpa
08-03-18, 22:07
...but its not because of 'health risks' is it....they haven't sold them as the consumer wants perfect produce; unblemished, not malformed and generally defectless. I buy the 'less than perfect' bags of things now, peppers, carrots, apples, whatever, don't all supermarkets do these bags of 'not perfect' things now ?

They do here as well as veggies that are at their expiration or a day before and offer them cheap! The wife and I often buy them, cut them up and freeze them. Same goes for meats. They'll put $1-$3 off if it's within a day of "sell by" or at the date. Same deal... freeze and use later. Never had an issue and it saves $$$.

Positive thoughts