PDA

View Full Version : Any books on being confident in yourself.

Homer47
07-03-18, 17:19
Hi my other worry is I seem to worry about what other people think. Mind reading people’s faces of anger if happy etc. I want to be confident in my own mind rather than fear if people do say something to me I won’t react embarrassingly like over the top. Just to be calm and in control. Just need to no these tools. Thanks much,

taurel
07-03-18, 22:25
Hey Homer,

I work as an entrepreneur, and while I don't have any books in particular to recommend, the solution to that I found is that you have to learn to do things despite the feelings you get. I haven't found a way to eliminate those feelings, just to ignore them and do what needs to be done. In other words, just to make sure that your anxiety no longer holds you back.

I'm not a confident person internally (not at all in fact), but externally I appear quite confident to others who know me. The reason for that appearance is simply because I don't let my anxiety stop me from doing things. I started my business with everyone advising me against doing it, I've solved a lot of problems along this journey, and all of that, not by not being anxious, but by being super anxious and still doing what had to be done.

Right now, I'm actually struggling to gain control over the biological level of anxiety, so that I no longer experience biological symptoms (such as raised blood pressure, etc.).

So my personal advice would be to forget being confident in yourself - just don't let your feelings of lack of confidence hold you back from doing what you want to do. Just do it - despite the feelings. It takes some time to learn this, so start doing it with small things, and then gradually build up.

Homer47
08-03-18, 17:00
Thanks for your reply and tips really appreciate that. Today especially at work anticipation of people might say etc. Then I start to feel vunrable so to speek. Then it passes eventually. I do start to say to myself like, who cares what they might say or do etc. I no that I will have to except that my anxiety will never go away but all the fears I seem to be scared off. Maybe I need to face most of them. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

I like the phrase, “just do it”