PDA

View Full Version : Groin lymph nodes enlarged for 3 months

Vic1005
07-03-18, 18:26
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I would love your help and reassurance.
I think I have developed a Heath anxiety over the last 18 months after two scares with breadt lumps which turned out to be benign thank goodness.

About 3 months ago I noticed a swollen non painful groin lymph node ( inguinal) . I had never noticed it before so I went to my GP. It felt the size and shape of a kidney bean. Movesble and firmish but not hard.
The locum GP sent me away for 2 weeks to see if would go down.
It didn’t do so I returned to see my usual doctor who wasn’t concerned and took blood for my peace of mind and sent me away to come back in 4 weeks if it’s still there. GP said blood ok , slight high white cells but everything else spot on.Just after I noticed the lymph node I came down with awful flu and had been suffering with an anal fissure for about 6 weeks ( sorry if TMI).
Went back to GP after the 4 weeks, no change and referred for ultrasound.
Had ultrasound 2 weeks ago, GP didn’t bother to ring with results so I chased them up.
Ultrasound shows several reactive lymph nodes all of normal structures etc.
GP said Hematology said blood results and ultrasound results are reassuring.
To recheck if I’m stilll worried or they are still there in 3 months and if they are the same or smaller no further action needed.

I have got some lower groin and hip pain in the same side but that could be due to excercise and I recently upped it.

Should I be satisfied with these results and stop worrying?
Does anyone else have s similar story?
Can the lymph nodes just stay enlarged?
The sonographer said the largest one was 0.6 mm short axis.

I am panicking about lymphoma or that I have a cancer that has spread to them. My flu cleared up about 6 weeks ago and my fissure about 3/4 weeks ago.

I went to another doctor today snd ge is ordering more blood and Gynae referral( due to groin pain) and other tests as he could see how worried I am.

I’m sick of this taking over my life and just want to stop worrying ... Please help

Thank you xx

ShaunRyder
07-03-18, 20:23
Hi,

I had a groin lymph node worry a while back, swelled up due to a skin infection and was a bit bigger than a bean, this was a year ago and I can still feel the same node, doctor said it might always stay that size but it is nothing of concern. You have had a few tests done and nothing has come back to be concerned with also the doctors do not seem worried so it is just your anxiety making you feel this way.

I found this in an article when I was worried about lymph nodes:

"If you have found a pea-sized or bean-sized node, this is normal. Normal lymph nodes are smaller than ½ inch or 12 mm. Don't look for lymph nodes, because you can always find some. They are easy to find in the neck and groin."

Leslie735
07-03-18, 21:43
I have one on the bottom side of my neck, just as you described. Had the same tests, same results. I go back to my ENT in May for a follow up ultrasound.

Vic1005
08-03-18, 00:36
Thank you both for replying and for your reassurance. I have convinced myself that i have something sinister and just can’t shake it . I have been googling as you can tell and it full of people saying the blood tests didn’t show lymphoma/cancer etc etc . This HA is wearing me out. I thought they would just go.....
I’m having bloods done again tomorrow as I’ve been to a different doctor at my practice.
I’m probably feeding my anxiety but hoping for my mind to be put at rest.
Thank you again x

Vic1005
09-03-18, 11:44
Can anyone else offer any information from personal experience as to how long these groin lymph nodes can stay enlarged.... just found another in same area. I just keep throwing myself in to sheer panic .....

Fishmanpa
09-03-18, 12:39
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I don't consider .6mm enlarged. What you describe most likely is a normal shotty node from all the poking and prodding. As long as it's not growing you're good, especially in light of all the tests. I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. I can assure you they would grow and it would be blatantly obvious to medical professionals. Stop poking and prodding and seek help for your anxiety!

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
09-03-18, 15:01
I had a lymph node that was enlarged under my chin/neck for years (seriously). I freaked out about it, went to the doc eventually, was told it was probably just a shoddy node and accepted that it was going to be there like that forever.

Well, it's gone now. Go figure.

The nodes in my groin are always popping up and going away. I think it's pretty common.

Leslie735
09-03-18, 16:53
I understand how you feel and read about the same stuff about blood tests not showing it. Its so scary for us anxiety sufferers. I, first, noticed mine back on Jan. 18th so just about a week away from 2 months ago. Its still there, still the same. I'm praying it doesn't start growing or its growing so slowly I"m not noticing it. Ugh!

palspals
11-03-18, 02:59
I have a similar story- I had (and still have) multiple, palpable lymph nodes under my arms. They haven't grown, but haven't gone down in months. I had normal bloods and the ultrasound showed normal, reactive nodes. The doc said that people come in all the time with this sort of thing...and often it's idiopathic. They said to come back in six months (2 months from now) if they're still up and I believe they will be as there has been no real change thus far. That being said, I don't stress too much...Lymph nodes are funny and I know heaps of people who have perpetually swollen nodes...I believe when the nodes are cancer, they grow really quite quickly and that the ultrasound usually shows some level of abnormality.

Vic1005
13-03-18, 11:03
Thank you all so much. You really have helped to settle my mind. I have only started with these anxiety feelings in the last 18 months and recognise I need to tackle it and stop wasting my life with incessant worrying. I really can’t thank you all enough. Sending you all my very best wishes �� x