PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of fibromyalgia

mahran
08-03-18, 21:10
Hi guys,
I have a neck pain for 10 days. Also I have a lower back pain that go on and off for the last month. I read in google about fibromyalgia and I think I have it. Now I start to panic because this disease would make me a disabled person. I cant study because of my neck and back pain. The pain increase while Im sitting and decrease while Im laying down. I now have anxiety that I have fibromyalgia and very depressed.
Any comment would be appreciated,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utrocket09
08-03-18, 21:44
If it hurts while you sit, its more likely you strained something.

nomorepanic
08-03-18, 21:45
I would go and see a physio and see what they can do.

Sounds like normal back and neck pain to me.

It could be from your posture.

mahran
08-03-18, 21:54
Thank you guys for ur comments,
the problem is that fibromyalgia has no test to do. also the idea that this disease has no cure make me anxious every day. I know neck pain usually go away after days but now this is my second week with the pain. I don't know what to say but I keep reading about fibromyalgia symptoms in a daily basis and join their groups and forums. The only thing that can end this feeling is to have pain free with my neck and pain which is not happening so far

BazB44
08-03-18, 23:38
if I was tested and told all my symptoms are fibro, I would throw a party lol. Fibro is not fatal, and personally, I think its just a fancy name for a bunch of symptoms.

nomorepanic
08-03-18, 23:41
I have had neck and back pain for about 4 months and I am getting physio for it - that is all you need and a good posture.

mahran
09-03-18, 00:10
Thank you guys
I know that my thinking is not logical but I cant help myself. I just keep telling myself that I have fibromyalgia and I cant work anymore in a desk because of my awful neck and back pain. I will try to apply your recommendations,

nomorepanic
09-03-18, 00:14
Do you have the correct set up for working on a computer or are you slouching and looking down at a laptop for example?

mahran
09-03-18, 00:45
I look down every day before sleep to navigate my phone. My posture is so bad even in my desk. But does this make pain in neck and back for more than two weeks? I thought poor posture makes you sick for only days.

Lola-Lee
09-03-18, 02:52
Poor posture can give you pain in the neck and back for ages,you need some physio or correct your chair when on your computer,try out a new pillow.

WiseMonkey
09-03-18, 07:26
if I was tested and told all my symptoms are fibro, I would throw a party lol. Fibro is not fatal, and personally, I think its just a fancy name for a bunch of symptoms.

BazB44 Personally, I consider your throw away comment to be very insensitive (and offensive) to those who do have Fibromyalgia, which is a painful, systemic, autoimmune disorder :mad:

mahran You most likely don't have fibromyalgia, as it's systemic and you'd most likely have pain in other muscles or joints in your body. Ninety-five percent of autoimmune disorders occur in women, so only five-percent in men.

mahran
09-03-18, 10:40
Thank you guys, really appreciate your support. I have an appointment with physiotherapy agency after two hours. I will see what they are going to do,

mahran
09-03-18, 18:18
the guy who did the massage for me said he doesn't think I have fibromyalgia. He said my neck is tense and maybe the reason is bad posture. I still have the pain but I will wait for one week to see

nomorepanic
09-03-18, 18:25
You do need to correct your posture though or it will just come back but glad you got it looked at.

mahran
09-03-18, 18:28
thank you nomorepanic,
Yes, I will make sure that I sit properly.

mahran
16-03-18, 11:05
Im in my 16th day with the neck pain. Still can't sit for more than 2 hours, went to two doctors and they both said it is due to poor posture. Now I start to think that this pain will be with me forever which makes my anxiety so high.

Fishmanpa
16-03-18, 11:33
went to two doctors and they both said it is due to poor posture. Now I start to think that this pain will be with me forever which makes my anxiety so high.

If you don't do something to correct your posture then yes, you will have pain until you do something about it. You have two medical professionals and a physio telling you the same thing. You have an explanation. Perhaps looking into how to improve your posture as suggested would be in order.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
16-03-18, 11:42
I have had my neck pain for over 4 months. I am trying to sit better but hard when I use a laptop to work on.

You need to do the same.

I also sit with a hot water bottle on my neck at night whilst watching TV.

mahran
16-03-18, 12:35
If you don't do something to correct your posture then yes, you will have pain until you do something about it. You have two medical professionals and a physio telling you the same thing. You have an explanation. Perhaps looking into how to improve your posture as suggested would be in order.

Positive thoughts

Yes, you are right. Actually, I start to sit in a healthy way and I bought a new pillow and a new chair. However, the pain still there although there is a little improvement.

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

I have had my neck pain for over 4 months. I am trying to sit better but hard when I use a laptop to work on.

You need to do the same.

I also sit with a hot water bottle on my neck at night whilst watching TV.

thank you for replying. sitting better is not helping for me but putting something hot is very helpful. I find walking is helping too,

Graygray
17-03-18, 00:38
I thought that fibro was over all throughout body pain, not just in one area?

WiseMonkey
17-03-18, 01:07
I thought that fibro was over all throughout body pain, not just in one area?

Yes you are correct. Fibromyalgia is a systemic autoimmune disorder, so it usually presents in several muscles and joints then can move around to other ones, rather like CFS.

mahran
20-03-18, 20:03
now i'm in the third week and still with this neck pain. The new thing is that I started to develop a daily headache which drives me crazy.
It seems the pain becomes worse when Im sitting and decreases when Im laying down.

nomorepanic
20-03-18, 20:26
How's the posture doing? Are you still slouching etc?

mahran
20-03-18, 20:34
How's the posture doing? Are you still slouching etc?

Im trying hard to sit in a healthy way and no more slouching. However, the pain still there and makes me just want to lay down or putting my neck with a heat pad.

nomorepanic
20-03-18, 20:50
I have had mine months now - I am sat with a hot water bottle on it.

You may need to see a physio

Sparky16
20-03-18, 21:21
That doesn't sound like fibromyalgia to me. Sounds like bad posture and bad ergonomics at your desk. Being tense and hunching up while working can give you weeks of sore neck muscles. I've been there.

Also, the people on the fibromyalgia forums are the people who are most affected. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago, following a bad viral illness. I had it in my legs, and it was a different kind of a achy-ness than regular muscle soreness. Hard to explain. I was prescribed physical therapy and got lots better. It's basically a non issue for me now. Anti depressants made a huge difference for another woman I knew back then. Stay out of the fibromyalgia forums, it's not a complete picture of the average patient's experience.

---

I wanted to edit this because I'm concerned that I sound dismissive of fibromyalgia, which wasn't my intention. What I'm trying to convey is that forums sometimes give us a single perspective on a condition. You won't find people like me who responded well to physical therapy, or people like my friend who responded well to anti-depressants (which seem to have an effect on pain perception) in those forums because we are getting on with our lives (or at least other worries!). The people who are on those forums are the people who are still searching for answers. That can give you the impression that everyone who is diagnosed ends up disabled. I used to belong to an in person support group in my local area, and most of us were working full time and were keeping up with our families as well.

I think this is an effect you see with many medical forums.

mahran
20-03-18, 21:44
I have had mine months now - I am sat with a hot water bottle on it.

You may need to see a physio

I saw one and he said all the pains are from bad posture. I started to believe him but the problem is that when I sit for two hours on a desk the pain becomes very sore that I need to lay down. I saw also a chiropractor and she also said it is from a bad posture.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

That doesn't sound like fibromyalgia to me. Sounds like bad posture and bad ergonomics at your desk. Being tense and hunching up while working can give you weeks of sore neck muscles. I've been there.

Also, the people on the fibromyalgia forums are the people who are most affected. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago, following a bad viral illness. I had it in my legs, and it was a different kind of a achy-ness than regular muscle soreness. Hard to explain. I was prescribed physical therapy and got lots better. It's basically a non issue for me now. Anti depressants made a huge difference for another woman I knew back then. Stay out of the fibromyalgia forums, it's not an accurate picture of the average patient's experience.

Thank you for you words. I started to believe that I don't have fibromyalgia because all doctors who I met said that my symptoms are not fibro. Now, I'm focusing on the pain from my neck that prevents me from studying which makes very depressed and anxious about my future.

Sparky16
20-03-18, 21:52
Thank you for you words. I started to believe that I don't have fibromyalgia because all doctors who I met said that my symptoms are not fibro. Now, I'm focusing on the pain from my neck that prevents me from studying which makes very depressed and anxious about my future.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I somehow read pages 1 and 3 and missed page 2. :blush:
So I think my response was a little off topic at this point. Sorry about that.

mahran
20-03-18, 22:04
I'm embarrassed to admit that I somehow read pages 1 and 3 and missed page 2. :blush:
So I think my response was a little off topic at this point. Sorry about that.

no worries Sparky, actually your comment above is so helpful because it is logical and correct our way of thinking especially those of us who are fighting anxiety.

bulan
20-03-18, 22:22
Just a note from someone who has lived with fibro for almost 15 years... I was relieved when I got this diagnosis, as I'm sure you've heard from others. For the 1.5 years before my diagnosis, I was dealing with an onslaught of new symptoms, and I experienced my first real battle with health anxiety. Once I knew what was causing my problems, and that it wasn't harming me, I began to relax and work on managing my symptoms. A couple years after my diagnosis, the symptoms actually began to fade into the background and I returned to a normal life. I guess I'd call it 'remission.' I was able to get my masters degree, have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, and work in various jobs. I've had a fibro flare lately, which is usually triggered by lack of sleep or stress, so it forces me to have healthier approaches to these things, which is good for me in the long run anyways. In the last couple years I've been diagnosed with other things, but considering fibro on its own, I don't mind it as a diagnosis. I'm glad I made peace with it long ago, and I know I can still live a long, fulfilling life in spite of it. I hope this helps to reassure anyone who's concerned about a fibro diagnosis.

mahran
20-03-18, 22:44
Just a note from someone who has lived with fibro for almost 15 years... I was relieved when I got this diagnosis, as I'm sure you've heard from others. For the 1.5 years before my diagnosis, I was dealing with an onslaught of new symptoms, and I experienced my first real battle with health anxiety. Once I knew what was causing my problems, and that it wasn't harming me, I began to relax and work on managing my symptoms. A couple years after my diagnosis, the symptoms actually began to fade into the background and I returned to a normal life. I guess I'd call it 'remission.' I was able to get my masters degree, have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, and work in various jobs. I've had a fibro flare lately, which is usually triggered by lack of sleep or stress, so it forces me to have healthier approaches to these things, which is good for me in the long run anyways. In the last couple years I've been diagnosed with other things, but considering fibro on its own, I don't mind it as a diagnosis. I'm glad I made peace with it long ago, and I know I can still live a long, fulfilling life in spite of it. I hope this helps to reassure anyone who's concerned about a fibro diagnosis.

you are very brave and I believe fibromyalgia is very manageable to live with, at least it will not harm your body.

jojo0328
21-03-18, 03:39
Speaking as someone wh has experienced shoulder and neck pain for 6 years, from what I have gathered it is quite normal for pain from strain to last from 4~6 weeks. Obviously, I am not a doctor, but physical therapy cycles are usually 8 weeks.

To be diagnosed with fibro, you need to have numerous tender points and they are quite painful, even just to touch. As others have suggested, it is probably a good idea to go see a pyhsiotherapist and get some treatment to see if its better.

I dont have HA, and I never jumped from shoulder pain to fibro. After 6 years of pain and following my doctors instructions, I decided to have further investigations. This is how people without HA would react. Following doctors advise and only seeking further attention if said advise does not relieve your symptoms, or they persist. I hope you're feeling better soon.

By the way, there are lots of great apps that remind you of bad posture while looking at your cell phone or studying. You might try downloading some of these.

WiseMonkey
21-03-18, 04:26
Just a note from someone who has lived with fibro for almost 15 years... I was relieved when I got this diagnosis, as I'm sure you've heard from others. For the 1.5 years before my diagnosis, I was dealing with an onslaught of new symptoms, and I experienced my first real battle with health anxiety. Once I knew what was causing my problems, and that it wasn't harming me, I began to relax and work on managing my symptoms. A couple years after my diagnosis, the symptoms actually began to fade into the background and I returned to a normal life. I guess I'd call it 'remission.' I was able to get my masters degree, have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby, and work in various jobs. I've had a fibro flare lately, which is usually triggered by lack of sleep or stress, so it forces me to have healthier approaches to these things, which is good for me in the long run anywaydignoseds. In the last couple years I've been diagnosed with other things, but considering fibro on its own, I don't mind it as a diagnosis. I'm glad I made peace with it long ago, and I know I can still live a long, fulfilling life in spite of it. I hope this helps to reassure anyone who's concerned about a fibro diagnosis.

A great post bulan and thanks for sharing your experience. When you are getting very real symptoms and no one (even Dr's) don't know what's going on, it's extremely stressful.

I was like this with my CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) which I'd had for many years before it was diagnosed. My stress and anxiety was through the roof plus I had 2 children under 3 to look after. Once I was diagnosed it was like a huge weight had lifted and I was able to push through and get on with my life.

You are correct, a lack of good quality sleep definitely triggers the flare up of symptoms. These autoimmune conditions tend to hang in groups. I've also been diagnosed with a couple of others since the CFS which I've had for 30+ years :)

It's great to see you have such a positive attitude to life, it's the only way to go x

mahran
21-03-18, 17:40
Speaking as someone wh has experienced shoulder and neck pain for 6 years, from what I have gathered it is quite normal for pain from strain to last from 4~6 weeks. Obviously, I am not a doctor, but physical therapy cycles are usually 8 weeks.

To be diagnosed with fibro, you need to have numerous tender points and they are quite painful, even just to touch. As others have suggested, it is probably a good idea to go see a pyhsiotherapist and get some treatment to see if its better.

I dont have HA, and I never jumped from shoulder pain to fibro. After 6 years of pain and following my doctors instructions, I decided to have further investigations. This is how people without HA would react. Following doctors advise and only seeking further attention if said advise does not relieve your symptoms, or they persist. I hope you're feeling better soon.

By the way, there are lots of great apps that remind you of bad posture while looking at your cell phone or studying. You might try downloading some of these.

Yes you are right, health anxiety suffers are usually imagine the worse options. This how we think unfortunately.
I will keep investigating the cause

mahran
23-03-18, 10:02
Hi guys,
Just an update: I went to a chiropractor and he adjusted my neck and said all my pains are due to poor posture.
After the adjustment, my right hand started to tingle, not a severe case but I feel uncomfortable. Now, I started to fear that I have MS. It is strange that I'm no more focusing on fibromyalgia and turning my eyes to MS. I spend many times reading MS symptoms and how people suffering from this disease live.
Health anxiety is suck : (

WiseMonkey
23-03-18, 10:12
Hi guys,
Just an update: I went to a chiropractor and he adjusted my neck and said all my pains are due to poor posture.
After the adjustment, my right hand started to tingle, not a severe case but I feel uncomfortable. Now, I started to fear that I have MS. It is strange that I'm no more focusing on fibromyalgia and turning my eyes to MS. I spend many times reading MS symptoms and how people suffering from this disease live.
Health anxiety is suck : (

The reason your right hand started to tingle is related to the way your chiropractor adjusted your neck. It's probably a nerve response and will most likely disappear over the next few days. If it doesn't you may need to see him/her again and get readjusted.

Get a grip, you have NOT got MS, so stop reading about that ... what a waste of time, get on with your life and enjoy it :)

mahran
23-03-18, 10:23
The reason your right hand started to tingle is related to the way your chiropractor adjusted your neck. It's probably a nerve response and will most likely disappear over the next few days. If it doesn't you may need to see him/her again and get readjusted.

Get a grip, you have NOT got MS, so stop reading about that ... what a waste of time, get on with your life and enjoy it :)

You are right WiseMonkey, I'm wasting my time with these negative thoughts. I'm scare of something that might not happen and if it happens that is not a big deal. Enjoying my life requires me to repair my current negative thinking which I'm struggling to do now but I will try.

mahran
28-03-18, 10:51
just an update:
No MS and fibromyalgia fear anymore. However, the neck pain still here and nothing is helping. I tried different therapies and it seems the pain is not responding to them very well.

nomorepanic
28-03-18, 11:41
What have you tried?

mahran
28-03-18, 13:02
What have you tried?

I tried 3 sessions of chiropractic, 1 session of physiotherapy. I also tried massage neck machines and heating pads with heating creams. They all seem relieve pain temporarily.

nomorepanic
28-03-18, 14:19
Yeah you have to stick at it - I have exercises that I have to do every day and several times a day but I don't and then I suffer neck pain LOL.

mahran
28-03-18, 17:49
Yeah you have to stick at it - I have exercises that I have to do every day and several times a day but I don't and then I suffer neck pain LOL.

lool, the problem with me is that my pain is constant especially when I'm sitting.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

I think I have Degenerative Disc Disease. My symptoms is very close to what written here:
https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/degenerative-disc-disease/common-symptoms-degenerative-disc-disease

nomorepanic
28-03-18, 18:05
Someone has been googling I see.

What did the people you saw say about it?

mahran
28-03-18, 18:33
Someone has been googling I see.

What did the people you saw say about it?

Idk why I keep googling, I feel I have unknown disease that I need to search about it. They said the pain decreases when laying down and increases while sitting. This is what I have.

bulan
29-03-18, 05:14
Mahran, I've had pain from bad posture before, once in my lower back and hip, and another time in my shoulder. Both times I was convinced I had bone cancer, or metastatic cancer from somewhere else. Once I figured this out and changed my posture, my pain slowly disappeared. Sometimes it took massage therapy to help as well. Have you changed your posture?

Regarding physiotherapy, I've had it, and keeping up with my exercises made a huge difference for me, but it took a few weeks of following my physiotherapist's instructions.

mahran
29-03-18, 12:04
Mahran, I've had pain from bad posture before, once in my lower back and hip, and another time in my shoulder. Both times I was convinced I had bone cancer, or metastatic cancer from somewhere else. Once I figured this out and changed my posture, my pain slowly disappeared. Sometimes it took massage therapy to help as well. Have you changed your posture?

Regarding physiotherapy, I've had it, and keeping up with my exercises made a huge difference for me, but it took a few weeks of following my physiotherapist's instructions.

Thank you Bulan, I have changed my posture but still my neck stiff all the time. Idk what is the reason so far but I might consider doing MRI

Fishmanpa
29-03-18, 12:07
I might consider doing MRI

Why not consider seeing a psychotherapist along with the physiotherapy instead? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

KK77
29-03-18, 12:43
An MRI will be a waste of time, unless there is severe pain, numbness, pins and needles, weakness etc, which could all indicate a trapped nerve.

mahran
29-03-18, 13:32
Why not consider seeing a psychotherapist along with the physiotherapy instead? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishmanpa,
I will consider that too to be honest. I might go back to medication if that helps.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

An MRI will be a waste of time, unless there is severe pain, numbness, pins and needles, weakness etc, which could all indicate a trapped nerve.

I have pins and needles in my right shoulder blade and also in my right hand but it is not severe just very mild. I read that in discs diseases laying down make you feel comfortable and this is my case.

bulan
29-03-18, 13:57
This reminds me that I've learned SO much about the human body over the years. Many 'scary' things can happen to us that bring us to our doctor's doorstep, but are actually a job for an RMT (registered massage therapist) or physiotherapist or similar practitioner instead. Over the years they've helped me with a lot of issues that had inflamed my health anxiety, and I've learned now to see them before seeing my doctor.

My physiotherapist said that he could help me figure out whether I need an MRI, and if he thought it was justified, he'd speak to my doctor about it. I found this very helpful and supportive! I just had an assessment last week after I had noticeable weakness in my right hand. He tested the nerves along each vertebra, tested my hand strength, and a bunch of other things. He was also teaching an intern while doing my assessment, and I found his explanations fascinating. It turns out that I'm fine. I don't need an MRI, and after one treatment my hand is already back to normal. :)

mahran
29-03-18, 14:20
This reminds me that I've learned SO much about the human body over the years. Many 'scary' things can happen to us that bring us to our doctor's doorstep, but are actually a job for an RMT (registered massage therapist) or physiotherapist or similar practitioner instead. Over the years they've helped me with a lot of issues that had inflamed my health anxiety, and I've learned now to see them before seeing my doctor.

My physiotherapist said that he could help me figure out whether I need an MRI, and if he thought it was justified, he'd speak to my doctor about it. I found this very helpful and supportive! I just had an assessment last week after I had noticeable weakness in my right hand. He tested the nerves along each vertebra, tested my hand strength, and a bunch of other things. He was also teaching an intern while doing my assessment, and I found his explanations fascinating. It turns out that I'm fine. I don't need an MRI, and after one treatment my hand is already back to normal. :)

This sounds very good, I'm glad you find it very helpful. I usually have physical symptoms but they all lasted for days except this neck pain that is now with me for 5 weeks so far. This makes me think that I have a serious issue.

bulan
29-03-18, 15:30
If it's any comfort, my posture pain was with me for weeks or months as well. It had developed slowly, and needed time to heal after I realized the cause of it too. :)

mahran
29-03-18, 16:35
If it's any comfort, my posture pain was with me for weeks or months as well. It had developed slowly, and needed time to heal after I realized the cause of it too. :)

Yes that makes me feel I'm not the only one here. Thank you Bulan, the chiropractor just called me saying that I don't need to do Xray because I called the nurse that I wanted to do one this morning. I think this is the time to go back to medication.

bulan
29-03-18, 21:10
Sounds like a good plan, mahran. I wish you the very best!

mahran
03-04-18, 03:33
Hi guys

Just an update: You know that my dr refused to do Xray because he thought that I'm fine. This was in a western country because I'm student there. I decided to go back to my country (Saudi Arabia) to give my local dr a chance. He checked me and said that my neck seems strange. He ordered an Xray and it turned that I have a straight neck without curve.

He said that this explains all my pains and gave me 3 medications for that. Also he told me that I need to do exercises to restore my normal curve.

I'm not sure if straight neck is something serious but I feel calm that I know the reason for my pain now but anxious about failing to restore the curve.

bulan
03-04-18, 03:48
I'm glad the cause was found, and that exercises can help! Very happy for you that it wasn't more serious!

mahran
03-04-18, 04:02
I'm glad the cause was found, and that exercises can help! Very happy for you that it wasn't more serious!

Thank you Bulan, I hope I'm going to restore the curve because it is not guaranteed.

Roseessa
16-04-18, 20:03
As someone who has Fibro I will say this sounds more like a strained neck and back more than fibro.
Bad posture is something a lot of people have and can cause a lot of pain.