PDA

View Full Version : Worried about displacing broken bones in foot :(

braginskaya
09-03-18, 00:22
Alas, I'm back again, after months of (mostly) being free from health anxiety.

This time it has an actual genuine medical cause, which SUCKS because it's harder to convince myself there's no actual issue. Essentially, I broke my foot two weeks ago by falling off a stool onto a hard floor and landing right on top of it with no shoes on, fracturing the middle three metatarsals (the long bones in the top of your foot).

Thankfully, the orthopedics said it was a stable fracture (not dislocated or significantly displaced) which should heal on its own without surgery. This was after I was scared to death by the doctors who did the X-ray, who told me it was a Lisfranc injury which I obviously googled and convinced myself I'd never walk again! They've put me in a moon boot until mid-April, and told me to avoid weight-bearing at first but slowly ease into walking in the boot as pain allows.

My worry is this: what if I make the break worse, meaning I'll need surgery and won't be able to walk for months and months? Even though the boot is there for protection, every time I knock or stand on my foot by accident or feel a twinge of pain I worry that I've done even more damage and it isn't going to heal properly.

I'm scared to sleep without the boot on even though the nurse who fitted it at the hospital said I could, in case I accidentally roll onto my foot or bend it weirdly through the night and make it worse. I'm even worried about doing up the boot too tightly in case I crush the bones or move them out of place. I'm also worried because there's a sort of swollen bump on top of my foot near where one of the fractures is which sometimes looks a bit red, which wasn't there before I had the boot put on. I don't know if it's just normal swelling/bone healing or whether having the boot on has damaged the fracture even more!

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or any advice on this? I keep resisting the urge to call the hospital to ask for advice or if I can come in for an early check-up, because part of me is worried but the rest of me just feels like I'm being silly. I just don't want to set back my recovery and/or end up needing surgery. :(