PDA

View Full Version : New to Boards

JennyD74
10-03-18, 15:48
Hello,
I am new to the boards here and I have had panic attacks and generalized anxiety for as long as I can remember.
I feel I drive my husband nuts always panicking over my health.
I am getting over the flu and still have a nagging cough and a bit of congestion. I stressed and panicked the whole time seeing all the losses in the news about people dying from this, which of course sent my anxiety through the roof.
My biggest fear is suffocating or not being able to breath and with the flu that just heightened my fears even more.
The past few nights getting over the flu I have had the feeling of waking up suffocating not being able to breath. It wakes me up from a dead sleep. I have this pressure/odd feeling between my shoulder blades and my heart is beating hard. I have woken up in the middle of the night like I just ran a marathon before as well before I got sick but only a couple of times. But waking up not being able to breathe is very scary.
I don't know if its flu or anxiety related. Of course I get on google and find all kinds of horrible things not being able to breathe while lying down can be related to and it scares me even more.
I just want to feel normal and be normal and not panic. I dont have health insurance so I haven't been to the doctor.
My health history is: mitral valve prolapse, panic/anxiety, eosinophilic esophagitis, hiatal hernia

Scaredtoo
10-03-18, 16:04
Hi Jenny (we share the same name)

Welcome. I’ve been there and where you are so many times I can’t even tell you. I’ve actually had the gasping for air when I awaken. Honestly I don’t know what it was from. I wasn’t even sick at the time which freaked me out even more. I never figured it out but it eventually went away. The subconscious can do a lot to us. Currently my anxiety is off the charts which is extremely annoying since I’m on meds. Ugh. Anyhow welcome. I’m sure you’re fine. When we think about things too long and too much it tends to exacerbate the symptoms. Feel better soon