PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms Following Father In Law Diagnosis

Kevh1980
11-03-18, 15:26
Hello There

This is my first post and it looks like people get some really go advice on here so I thought I would give it a go.

My father in law was recently (about 6 weeks ago) diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, hes 73 and had prostate cancer about 2 years ago, hes in a really bad way, to see him deteriorate so quickly has been hard for my wife to take.

However since his diagnosis I found that one of his early symptoms was Lack of appetite and bad heartburn.

I had bad heartburn in Jan and Feb which to be honest has got a little better after taking some over the counter remedy, however over the past 2 weeks I have completely lost my appetite and do not look forward to eating the way I used to. I have also been noticing pain points over my body as well as under my armpits (but cannot feel any lumps even though I'm feeling every few hours to make sure)

I know the rational explanation is that I'm getting anxiety due to my father in laws diagnosis, I have experienced health anxiety in my 20s (convinced I had a brain tumor and went for scans to check which came back all clear) and also the chances of a 37 year old being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a month after another family member have must be very very rare !

However my irrational side is saying, I have 2 young children how would my wife cope if I had to tell her that I had "C" as well as her dad, and if there was any chance at all that I have this should I force my doctor to send me for a scan ? I have been for blood tests and they all came back fine but I cannot get these thoughts out of my head and feel that a scan is the only way to find out for sure ?

Has anyone else been through anything like this ?

Scaredtoo
11-03-18, 15:35
Oh boy. Most definitely I have. When my mom was dying of breast cancer. It sucks. I’ve also been through this when I fear I have an incurable disease. It completely shuts down my life. I can’t eat. I have no appetite. I sit on pins and needles. It’s awful. Then I get myself in a vicious cycle. I just started a thread on this about anxiety and weight loss.