PDA

View Full Version : At what age should we let children wear deodorant?

BrokenGirl
12-03-18, 14:09
My daughter is 10 and has started asking me recently about wearing deodorant. I've let her put on a bit of mine the odd time but she's looking to wear it every day. She is starting to sweat, I have noticed that and she is becoming very aware of it.
Is 10 too young to wear it regularly? Can it do her any damage at that age? I don't think I was wearing it that young. I just don't want to google this cause Dr Google will tell me all the horrors of it and probably tell me along the way that I have some rare disease as well :ohmy:

BazB44
12-03-18, 14:14
well ive always heard that its anti-perspirants that are the unsafe ones because of aluminum. But deodorants don't have aluminum. I personally use a natural deodorant called Schmidts, it uses coconut oil and works great.

WiredIncorrectly
12-03-18, 15:25
My son is 10 he uses deodorant. He doesn't like to use it often unless we're going out somewhere nice, or meeting people. I'd say 10 is perfectly fine especially if she's started to sweat and is worried about her personal hygiene.

BrokenGirl
12-03-18, 15:34
I actually meant anti-perspirant, not deodorant. It's mostly anti-perspirant we use here. Is there much of a difference between the two of them? Should I start her off on a deodorant first or does it have to be an anti-perspirant for sweat?
I think I'm confusing myself now :ohmy:

Carys
12-03-18, 15:44
Hiyer,

I found this really good article for you...it explains the differences in deodorant and antiperspirant, and talks about children using them.

https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/deodorant-for-kids#4

WiredIncorrectly
12-03-18, 16:06
I actually meant anti-perspirant, not deodorant. It's mostly anti-perspirant we use here. Is there much of a difference between the two of them? Should I start her off on a deodorant first or does it have to be an anti-perspirant for sweat?
I think I'm confusing myself now :ohmy:

I don't know. The only thing I do know is anti-perspirant leaves marks on clothes and makes my under arms itch :roflmao:

Annaboodle
12-03-18, 16:29
Anti-perspirant stops the perspiration/sweat. Deodorant just stops the sweat smelling. My daughter started wearing an anti-perspirant when she was about 11. She mentioned it first and was getting a faint sweaty odour at the time after activity. Whatever you choose I'd go for a "sensitive" or gentle one. I find the solid sticks are gentler than the roll-ons.

The stuff about aluminium is completely unproven and is not backed up by scientific research. If you're interested at all in why it is a load of scaremongering nonsense that frightened a lot of people back in the late 1990s (as well as being the reason why my mate Clare often still smells!) then look up "Ben Goldacre Bad Science deodorants". It explains it really well.

ServerError
12-03-18, 17:07
When I was 10 or 11, my class got a very delicate talk from our teacher that we might want to consider starting to wear deodorant. Apparently we were coming from lunch breaks stinking of sweat - although the teacher didn't put it that bluntly. Seems like a reasonable age to me.

Sparky16
12-03-18, 17:33
I agree with Anna, the aluminum business is just scaremongering. Back in the 90s people were also afraid of aluminum cookware and utensils. Nobody seems to remember that part.

My niece started wearing deoderant at age 7, because she needed to. She was just kind of funky when she was running around. :)

My mom did not let me wear deoderant until I was 18, and it made me very unpopular with my fellow students and even my teachers. Don't do that.

Carys
12-03-18, 18:14
Back in the 90s people were also afraid of aluminum cookware and utensils.

I remember that.....everyone (who read news reports) became afraid of their aluminium pots and pans. Wasn't there some 'link' made at the time to Alzheimers at the time ?

Sparky16
12-03-18, 18:39
Yes, and then later people thought that aluminum deoderant caused breast cancer, which has no link, either. Remember in the 70s when everybody was concerned about EMF fields from televisions? You were supposed to be at least 6 feet away from your TV. Now we all hold cellphones to our heads all day!

Elen
12-03-18, 19:01
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

ps your posting rate is going up again which makes me think you may need to evaluate your anxiety levles

Magic
12-03-18, 22:21
My granddaughter uses deodorant some days as she does gymnastics.
She is nearly 10years old, and looks older.
I am not sure which one she uses.
I wish we had deodorant when I was younger. I remember some sort of body spray I use to use when I started to work. Then the roll on deodorant came out.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-18, 02:25
Anti-perspirant stops the perspiration/sweat. Deodorant just stops the sweat smelling. My daughter started wearing an anti-perspirant when she was about 11. She mentioned it first and was getting a faint sweaty odour at the time after activity. Whatever you choose I'd go for a "sensitive" or gentle one. I find the solid sticks are gentler than the roll-ons.

The stuff about aluminium is completely unproven and is not backed up by scientific research. If you're interested at all in why it is a load of scaremongering nonsense that frightened a lot of people back in the late 1990s (as well as being the reason why my mate Clare often still smells!) then look up "Ben Goldacre Bad Science deodorants". It explains it really well.

I've read his stuff before about some topics and he is good.

So, is Clare the friend who gets lots of smellies for birthday's & Xmas then? :blush::winks:

Listen up public - heavy metal isn't heavy metals! http://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/guitar/h25016.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/h-guitar.php)

mezzaninedoor
13-03-18, 09:41
Ben Goldacre stuff is very good indeed.

My Son started to have a real regime around personal hygiene very early, mainly around showering every day quickly. Deodorants were used from about 11. He was very socially aware as he perspired very quickly from any athleticism.

There was talk of Botox under the armpits from the GP but that was a private treatment that we never took up, something like £500

imabit2lil
13-03-18, 23:42
They literally gave us deodorant and feminine products in 5th grade. I was 10 going on 11.

My mom never waited until I started to stink. I had hygienic products since before I even needed it. There are products for children that is gentle for their skin.

I never have used antiperspirant. Sweat is normal. I wear deoderant and wash my behind everyday. I have only heard use of antiperspirant by people who sweat so excessively that it's uncomfortable and embarrassing.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk