PDA

View Full Version : Am I at serious risk for Lung cancer/COPD/ect?

Lurker
13-03-18, 06:16
So I've been seriously concerned about how at risk I seem to be thanks to growing up with massive amounts of secondhand smoke my entire life. Im 25 and it's still going on. They are not going to quit smoking in the house so thats out of the question. I share a room with my mom who has chain smoked my whole life too. I have to rely on them because severe social anxiety is making it nearly impossible to keep a job.

My parents don't think it's harmful and stuff but I cant pretend everything is fine when I see all the horror stories about passive smoking. I never smoked and try to keep myself healthy so this is really frustrating and scary. I pretty much feel like im going to die early from one of the thousand horrible, easily preventable diseases accosiated with passive smoking because I've been inhaling tons of smoke for 25 years. Oh, and we have an ancient dusty carpet too. Something I just found out contributes to COPD.

I love my mom but she just thinks Im having one of my health scares and is not willing to quit. She thinks smoking isn't unhealthy and comes from the time that everyone and their brother smoked.

I just want to know how to stay sane in this situation, because a lot of times Im just sittng there feeling like Im destined for a short misrable life because I pretty much breathe more smoke than fresh air. Is it illogical to feel like my health is being sabotaged?

WiseMonkey
13-03-18, 06:53
Hi,
Second hand smoke is no fun to be around. Your selfish family members aren't going to stop smoking, so it may be time for you to push your comfort barriers and make a shift yourself as you are 25 and an adult.

A good start would be to get some counselling for you social anxiety issues. Smoking is now an anti-societal, antisocial, activity so of course your mother would rather stay home where she can indulge her addiction.

Time to man up and take charge of your own life. Good luck with it.

Lurker
13-03-18, 07:23
I have a therapist and been seeing them for a few years now. I've gotten a lot better and am actively working towards independence. Im mostly wondering how to stay sane in the process. Like is my health basically ruined or is the internet making everything scarier and more bleak than it actually is.

WiseMonkey
13-03-18, 07:50
I have a therapist and been seeing them for a few years now. I've gotten a lot better and am actively working towards independence. Im mostly wondering how to stay sane in the process. Like is my health basically ruined or is the internet making everything scarier and more bleak than it actually is.

No, you are young so your body will recover once you exit the smoky environment. Quit googling and concentrate on becoming a healthy future flatmate :)

Bigboyuk
13-03-18, 11:07
Actually it's very unhealthy to breath in second hand smoke (and Iam a smoker too) remember the old days when you couldn't sit in a pub and not breathe some one else's second hand smoke in on top of yours. Sorry you mum is deluded to think that it's healthy to smoke Is she a chain smoker like me? I really wish I could stop but it's so addictive I lost my mum to lung cancer at least 10 years ago. You have a right to live in a smoke free enviorment the weather is getting warmer so really you need to have a talk to mum about this :) Does your dad smoke too? And say if you want to smoke then please smoke out side be strong my friend and take action good luck and let us know how you get on ATB

Lurker
13-03-18, 16:09
My dad, mom, and brother all smoke in the house. It's warmer now so my mom is out gardening most of the day. She chainsmokes so going outside every time would be crazy. Getting my own place would happen sooner honestly. I just feel depressed like everything is pointless cause im basically already dead. Im worried about my family too for smoking so much. I love them even though they're super deluded lol.

As for me, I don't have any trouble breathing or any symptoms of secondhand smoking. I think 70ish is the average age for lung cancer so maybe Im okay?

unsure_about_this
13-03-18, 18:00
I remember the days where you could smoke in pubs, workmen clubs (kids were allowed in the concert room, and out by the bingo) the days of being allowed to smoke in hotels and in football stadiums and on the plane etc so as a child I was probably expose a bit to 2nd hand smoke.
I still live at home with my parents, my Dad smoke but he been relegated to the conservatory as he burnt a hole in the lounge carpet with his ash not watching what he was doing was in his own little world at the time due to his health condion/medication condition we don't what it is called.

NervUs
13-03-18, 20:23
You inspired me to google...and...a recent study found no increased cancer risk due to second hand smoke, caveat being there was a small increase in risk if you had lived 30 years in the home with a smoker.

Seems to me you've got to get out and create the home environment you want. Personally, I would not be able to tolerate living with smokers, besides the chances of disease there is the vile smell. It might be hard, but take the steps you can to get independent!

Annaboodle
13-03-18, 20:24
My dad, mom, and brother all smoke in the house. It's warmer now so my mom is out gardening most of the day. She chainsmokes so going outside every time would be crazy. Getting my own place would happen sooner honestly. I just feel depressed like everything is pointless cause im basically already dead. Im worried about my family too for smoking so much. I love them even though they're super deluded lol.

As for me, I don't have any trouble breathing or any symptoms of secondhand smoking. I think 70ish is the average age for lung cancer so maybe Im okay?

No you're definitely not already dead! As another poster said your body is young so if there is any damage at all your body will recover. I don't have stats, but Fishmanpa posts useful info about how quickly an actual smoker's body recovers once they quit at any age. Maybe have a search for that.

You already know that your family are being selfish and you also seem to have (rightfully) accepted that they aren't going to quit. At the age I'm assuming they are, I think it would be a waste of anyone's time pleading with them to quit as they've made it clear that they've no intention of ever giving up. It's laughable them clinging on to the notion that it's not harmful, but you can't reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into. My partner smokes - less than he used to and never around the children (he's outside in smoker's Siberia at the end of the garden). But though I worry so much about his health I've given up arguing with him about it and have had to accept that he isn't going to quit (I think he might if he gets sick, but will then be too late. So it is, sadly). Some folk just won't give up. I think your best option is to focus as much as possible on anything positive you can do to get yourself into a strong enough place where you can move into a flat share of your own. It'll be great for you in so many ways.

Lurker
14-03-18, 06:58
Thanks, guys. Im feeling a lot better about it now since Im working really hard on getting independent and should be out of here before Im 30 for sure. If push comes to shove I have a sister who will let me stay with her and no one smokes there.

I did a quick google search about smoking and apparently if someone quits before 40 then 90% of the harmfull effects are gone, so it should be the same for secondhand smoke.Im confident I can get into a smoke free environment before 40 so I guess I should stop exhausting myself with worry and start focusing on what I can do now. I should make the situation motivate me instead of bring me down.

Im seeing a therapist for social anxiety/depression but Im probably gonna go ahead and start group therapy. I've been putting it off but it should really help and I think Im ready now as I'll ever be.

swajj
14-03-18, 08:28
What a load of bull.

WiseMonkey
14-03-18, 08:39
What a load of bull.

Yep, I agree ... someone's on here to sell some product!

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-18, 09:08
Yep, I agree ... someone's on here to sell some product!

Having an inhaler when your breathing is fine is pretty unlikely too!

Admin boot them off when alerted with the triangle. :nicked:

wubu
15-03-18, 11:24
well thats a load of rubbish. my partner smoked maybe 3 a day, only a few times a week before she stopped and she has lung cancer and is way off 40!

When a smoker stops smoking, regardless of age it would take about 15 years for your risk of lung cancer be that of a non smoker.

There is no safe level of 2nd hand smoke and there is no excuse to expose people to it.
https://www.nhs.uk/livewell/smoking/pages/passive-smoking.aspx

Lurker
17-03-18, 12:54
I'm by no means excusing it and definitely agree that there is no excuse and no safe level of seconhand smoke. I also understand that it can take 15 years to completely recover. That being said, I was talking about the 90% reduction in dying from smoking when quitting before 40 as stated by cancer.org about the benefits of quitting. (I was going to post a direct link but it was blocked.)

I'm just trying to stay optimistic/sane in the process of gaining independence so I don't exhaust myself with panic everyday. When I feel like everything is pointless because I'm just doomed to die a horrible early death, I really don't get much done.