PDA

View Full Version : 45 > 30

RandomGeeza
13-03-18, 07:58
As the title suggests, have just dropped from 45mg to 30mg, two days ago, Sunday... And have already started to feel, what I suspect as, a type of withdrawal...

I am not ruminating over my decision to drop nor am I trying to be over vigilant.

I simply want to come off the meds. I have been on them for about 18 months. Started at 15mg and moved up to 45mg p/day split into a 15mg morning and 30mg evening dose. I felt very few side effects on the way up and I hoped the same would be true for my downgrading of the drug. The weight thing is bothering me... Even though I eat very well, my weight is creeping up and I am tired of watching it do this, without having the pleasure of indulging.

However, last night I had the most horrendous backache, and it was not like any backache I have had before. Mid back, and no amount of repositioning made it better. It gnawed and hurt quite some. To sit still was difficult, almost an endurance. Also, last night was the worst night's sleep in years. I don't even know if I actually slept? It was like skimming in and out of unconsciousness. But I was very aware of time, and the lack of any decent rest. I didn't dream and ended up getting up 5am-ish... out of simple boredom.

Is this typical? I get that each is their own and that everyone is different. I just didn't expect this much soooo soon. Or, is this just the tip of the iceberg.

I do know one thing, Mirt helped me sleep and made me enjoy sleep again. Prior to taking it I hardly slept and after last night it has reminded me of how bad I did sleep. But it has also made me think about whether I want that? I want the benefits of Mirt's sleep but without taking it...?

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed....

Catherine S
13-03-18, 08:17
I think long term use of any mind altering drug would come with some form of withdrawal when reducing it, particularly if it's been helping you to relax and sleep well. As you say yourself everybody is different when it comes to how much a drug can affect you, either taking it or giving it up.

If sleeping is a problem while you are reducing it, or if your sleep pattern returns to how it was before taking it, perhaps you could consider taking a herbal remedy to help you sleep? There are quite a few out there and a pharmacist or health food shop would be able to advise you about which to try. Natural tranquilisers include Valerian and Kalms, as well as night time strength Rescue Remedy. They're obviously not as strong as the prescription meds but might be of some help while you are reducing the Mirt.

:)

RandomGeeza
15-03-18, 07:45
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated and worth considering.

Thankfully, the third night was better and I slept well. Although, last night was a repeat of Monday. I managed to doze off at about 3-4am-ish, having laid there since 11pm. And I slept very lightly. Totally aware of time and my surroundings, no dreams or real slumber.

This is definitely an effect of the reduction. So, I am simply telling myself that it will pass. I also have a splitting headache this morning. But, I reckon that is as a result of the tiredness.

Thus far, sleep has been the only gripe. Five days in and going strong. I just hope it settles down soon. I want to stabilise and then try another reduction. I was going to jump from 30 > 15 but I think that might be too much, so will graduate that probably by 1/4 and 1/2 tablets.

I'm looking forward to being drug free!

RandomGeeza
16-03-18, 21:36
Found out today that I have to cease the Mirt, sooner rather than later. I have Mirt induced Pancreatitis... So that puts an end to it...

Catherine S
16-03-18, 21:52
Really sorry to hear that, and yes, that'd be a reason to stop taking the medication I guess! I wish you well in your recovery. Try to keep us updated when you can.

Cath ☺