PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety Advice - Help Please

Dantheman0011
13-03-18, 12:21
Good afternoon fellow health anxiety sufferers.

So health anxiety is quite new to me. I used to suffer from your everyday panic attacks and general bouts of anxiety however after a long period of stress recently I seem to have developed health anxiety (I haven't had a panic attack in years).

Over the last 2 months I have been to visit and in contact with my local doctors surgery several times as I have been convincing myself of all sorts.

My doctor has put me on 15mg of Mirtazapine for anxiety and suspected depression as it all culminated 3 weeks ago in me sitting in the doctors waiting for my time to go in so I could have it confirmed that the mole on my back that had scabbed over was indeed cancer and that I was going to die... That mole turned out to be a curvaceous wort (Embarrassed much)...

However ever since that day where I sat there in that doctors surgery more worried and stressed out than I have ever been in my life (And the same for the 3-4 weeks prior to that appointment where I was stressing about it and generally driving myself and my partner crazy about all sorts) I have developed aches and pains all over my body.

I have only been on the Mirtazapine for 16 days now and its 15mg and I am still having days where I am very anxious and getting horrible thoughts about my health (A few days ago I was certain I had ALS for example).

I have promised myself I will not Google symptoms any more and also head to the doctors with my latest ailment that I am convincing myself I have as neither of these things have been the least bit helpful (Except for my health anxiety being officially confirmed and me being put on the Mirtazapine).

My issue is that I still ache from head to toe... My leg muscles ache, my arms ache, my neck is stiff and aches my back aches (Lower back, middle the works) I am getting headaches still... My hands and feet are aching from time to time... You name it... My anxiety has caused me to lose 2 stone in just under a year (Although the Mirtazapine has made me nearly put on a stone in 2 weeks through the massive amount of eating I have done which I was fully expecting after the doctor told me about this but I didn't mind as I love food).

But should the Mirtazapine not be helping with this by now 16 days in? (More that just making me eat everything I sight) I am still getting anxious feelings and having bad days like the last 2 days and I just want my body to start to heal and feel like the old me... I am fed up of being stiff and aching all over and just feeling tired all the time... I want to be able to enjoy my two children and play around with them like I used to be able to before I was hit by this anxiety/depression like a 10 tonne truck!

Why does my body hurt so much since that day in the doctors surgery when it all came to a head!

In my mind I struggle to accept that health anxiety can make me feel this way...

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated guys..

PS I am on the waiting list for CBT but that could be months and I believe my doctor will put my Mirtazapine dosage up to 30mg in a week or so as I believe 15mg is quite a low dose..

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 ----------

Also I started getting small body/muscle spasms over the last week or so (Since starting the Mirtazapine) which is the reason I recently convinced myself that I had ALS which I already know as a 33 year old is highly unlikely and I have none of the symptoms but we all know that anxiety doesn't work like that... I have managed to bring myself down from this now though but I just want my body to start to heal and to feel better and I just don't know why I still ache so much and how long till I can start to feel better...

I was hoping the Mirtazapine would be really helping by now!

95cwalker
13-03-18, 19:17
Hi there!

I cannot offer much guidance as I myself struggle daily with health anxiety but what I can assure you is I ache from head to toe everyday.

I am on 20mg of Citalopram and have been for about 2 years, doctors have tried to increase it but it doesn't agree with me, they suggested changing it as I get bad insomnia but as I tolerate Citaopram well I don't really want to rock the boat. I was offered Mitrazapine but was warned of weight gain so didnt want to consider it.

I have been bacl and forward to the doctors numerous times and I am continually told that its muscular as I am always tense which does sound about right as I can feel myself, especially my shoulders being very tight and tense!

The medication can take anything up to 6 weeks for it to take full effect from what I was told when I 1st started mines. I srill struggle to this day with the thoughts of what if racing through my mind but let me assure you, you are not alone!