PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over news

Confusion
13-03-18, 16:08
I'm petrified that this issue with the Russian Spy in the UK being killed keeps escalating. There's talk of NATO being involved. Could this spark a War?

Carys
13-03-18, 16:12
Nope.

When I was younger things like this used to get to me, I was perpetually afraid of the news and things escalating. After years of seeing political chess, I can assure you that nobody wants a war of any sort, there would be no winners. When you've seen people posturing after atrocities happening, a period of political tension follows, but war - no I don't believe so.

The UK will have to do 'something' to show their anger at this incident, and finding the right response will be the difficult matter, but there s a long way between say - stopping footballers going to the Russian held world cup, and armed warfare.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-18, 16:23
Rattle some sabres, some outrage...back to normal. After all, I assume we still want gas in the UK? That's globalisation for you, we all have fingers in each other's pies. We could kick the Russians out of London I suppose... and watch all their money go with them.

Isn't it the same as why we dance around the Saudi Arabia issue?

The only thing about NATO is that it brings Trump to the table. But Russia don't mind showdowns as they proved in Syria.

We've been here before and it was a total waste of time & money. I only care about the safety of the public, I care about spies knocking off other spies as much as I care about gangs fighting with each other.

Who will blink first? Probably not Putin. Whatever happens to resolve this I expect it will be behind doors between shady civil servants & intelligence. We will never hear what really goes on, it will simple stop being reported...

Scass
13-03-18, 16:24
No it won’t spark a war.

And yes, when I was younger I used to get really worried about these things too.
But Carys is right, we need to do something. We’ll have lots of support. I suspect we’ll impose some sanctions on Russia maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BikerMatt
13-03-18, 17:28
I bet so much goes on we will never ever know about. As for war nah i don't think so. What does worry though is the terrorists. It was about this time last year it all kicked off in the UK. I spent 3 1/2 years working in London and took my van into every building in Canary Wharf, The Bank of England, The Shard, UBS, St James's Palace infact pretty much every govemment building and important building in the City. I hardly ever got security checked and i always thought i could of had anything in my van, but i'm sure behind the scenes they know exactly who you are and what you're up to. Something that really suprised me once, i got a late job at the House's of Parliament and tried my luck at getting in and they let me in. Normally you have to go to a holding area about 3 miles away, your vehicle is checked for explosives and weapons, you're given a tracker and sat nav, you have to follow the sat nav exactly or they don't let you in.

Sporting events and events that large numbers of the public attend really worry me and i really hope the security services are monitoring these.

Confusion
14-03-18, 10:21
What about threats from Russia that it will engage US forces if they strike Syria again?

Oh my god I'm petrified. I can't believe this is happening.

Carys
14-03-18, 10:32
Confusion - did anything we said make any sense to you/make you feel any differently ?

Confusion
14-03-18, 10:41
Yes it helped but now theres this. Were on the brink 9f armageddon.

Carys
14-03-18, 10:46
Oh dear....okaaayyyyyyy......

Sorry to :roflmao:, but we've been on the 'brink of armageddon' so many times in my life-time that I can't be too worried about it. This will all be yesterday's news...err....tomorrow. :yesyes:

Confusion
14-03-18, 10:49
Im sorry i just cant help being scared by all this.

Carys
14-03-18, 10:57
I know, but you have to try and talk yourself down about it, by applying some of the things we are saying to you to your thought processes.

Confusion
14-03-18, 11:09
So you don't think anything will happen?

Carys
14-03-18, 11:16
Yeah 'things will happen' there will be as Terry said 'sabre rattling' from both camps, but that will be it and it will become yesterday's news. When you are older(Iam presuming you are fairly young), you will have seen this many times before and become a bit more immune to it. :D

Confusion
14-03-18, 11:20
I'm 37. I don't know if you consider that young. I'm a bit too young to remember in detail the beginning of the 80s and the height of the cold war. People tell me it was much worse.

Carys
14-03-18, 11:57
Oh ok, you are a older than I thought - not sure if I consider it young either, younger than me though :D

I think with the US being in the state of turmoil it is at the moment,its making everything feel so much more edgy for everyone else. Sorry US people here, not wanting a political discussion, but the vast Trump ripples are affecting everyone. The world is shifting, politically, and new positions are being found in the void being left by the US. I remember being absolutely terrified during the gulf war, watching on my little black and white t.v. and imagining WW3 coming out of it. The world is 'uneasy' at the moment, there is no doubt about that, but firstly remember there ARE good intelligent people out there protecting and making decisions in the interests of people. At the end of the day, nobody wants escalation - even surely N Korea and the US in their spat! Also, if you have no personal control over it, then you have to let it go. Worrying about things entirely outside your control will be of no benefit to you.

Random_Hero
14-03-18, 16:23
Hey, yeah I am the same. Just logged in to post about something different, but saw you post and thought i'd pop in.
As soon as I came home yesterday, turned on the news and saw our pm was giving russia a 'deadline' to respond and saw stuff about nuclear weapons and how small our country was, I freaked out. I googled everything about whats happening with russia and uk lately and kept seeing stuff about war and nukes. Omg my anxiety. But I've been there before, only a last year in fact, with the stuff about south korea. When I saw they had missiles that could target any where, and they were testing them and threatening, I was like 'that's it' we're all dead. But look at it now, nothing really happened, and usa, n and s korea are closer than ever, talking it all out.
I've learned that through googling the latest bad news, many of the big words like War and Nukes are from big news sites that get a lot of ad revenue when you click on them. Actual facts show nothings really happening, news sites just want our click money.
So yeah, I really wouldn't worry, a few spies got killed? Evil enemy spies? Meh let them sort it out that way, us civilians will still be doing our daily jobs, chores, video games and TV. Nothings gonna change dude.
I even used my ad blocker to hide the 'trending' section on facebook, as whenever I logged on there was always something about trump or russia on the side :D

Scass
14-03-18, 18:05
I remember being in such anxiety when the Falkland war started. I’m showing my age, but that was awful. Even though there was no real change to our daily lives.

This is different. Russia will talk about how powerful they are, but they won’t start a war over it. Russians were sent away from the US too just before Trump was elected, and they didn’t start a war with them. Although their use of the internet is another story.

You should be concerned yes, because it’s big news. But it’s not going to be much more than harsh words & posturing. Europe are behind us, the US are behind us. Things are different than they were back when the world wars happened.

Perhaps you should step away from the bad news for a while? I find that always helps my mood.

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-18, 02:20
I've learned that through googling the latest bad news, many of the big words like War and Nukes are from big news sites that get a lot of ad revenue when you click on them. Actual facts show nothings really happening, news sites just want our click money.

Absolutely!

The power of the internet to drive sales. They must love Facebook & Twitter with everyone forwarding their ads on for them acting like canvassers!

---------- Post added at 02:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

I remember being in such anxiety when the Falkland war started. I’m showing my age, but that was awful. Even though there was no real change to our daily lives.

This is different. Russia will talk about how powerful they are, but they won’t start a war over it. Russians were sent away from the US too just before Trump was elected, and they didn’t start a war with them. Although their use of the internet is another story.

You should be concerned yes, because it’s big news. But it’s not going to be much more than harsh words & posturing. Europe are behind us, the US are behind us. Things are different than they were back when the world wars happened.

Perhaps you should step away from the bad news for a while? I find that always helps my mood.

Yep, whilst we may be negotiating Brexit where the EU are firmly against us, the EU are also very concerned about Russia so everyone will band together as usual.

You are right about things being different. These days we have globalisation so it's hard to invade somewhere when you end up losing more in billions on the stock market by taking over places you have lots of money ploughed into.

ZigZag
15-03-18, 13:58
Hi Confusion, for those of us that suffer from anxiety, watching/reading the news is a bad idea. I would recommend you don't do it.

People who don't suffer from anxiety can watch the news and feel fine about it, carry on living their lives and having fun, yes, actually having fun, how dare they?! :homy: (if only we could too eh?)

We can't change the world, it will always be full of crazy people, like it always has been. When I was growing up in the 70s/80s, the cold war always felt like a huge threat and during the 1980s we really believed that there could be an imminent nuclear war but it never happened. I think it is less likely now than ever before.

I don't buy newspapers but if I ever happen to read one I feel anxious, frightened about living in my own community, one that didn't scare me until I read the news.

Don't forget that the media loves to scare everyone, bad news sells. You probably wouldn't feel so worried if news had a balance of good and bad stories. For every person that has committed a crime, there are many more decent citizens who are doing great things every day but we rarely hear about them, but they are there, in every society.

The newspapers and news sites just focus our attention of bad stuff. Don't let them influence your feelings. Remember a lot of people who don't suffer from anxiety actually love bad news, they find it exciting. I have personally known people like this. I used to work with a women who delighted in bad news, talked of very little else. The more gruesome the better as far as she was concerned. Some people love to watch horror movies or tv dramas where people get abused or killed. I can't imagine what the attraction is but the tv companies keep churning this stuff out so someone's watching it.

Anyway, I do hope you'll feel better soon, the world won't change and our feelings won't change it either. Might as well learn to live with it somehow (don't watch the news, don't watch stupid dramas etc. etc.). Hope you can find some peace, you'll be ok.

Carys
15-03-18, 14:33
Great post zigzag :D

Confusion
15-03-18, 14:50
Thank you all. I'm getting there.

Torquey
15-03-18, 16:12
Hi confusion. First post but felt I had to respond. I'm sure I feel your pain, im going through the same with this recent news. In fact I've been like this about 3 years on and off, with similar news stories.

I'm sick of it now so going to talk to with my gp as soon as I can get an appointment. It's affecting eating, I'm more tired, generally miserable and just switched off in general.

This kind of stuff would never have bothered me in my 20's but does now (36 yr old). What I link it to is 'anxiety over protecting my children'. Do you have kids? I've even had thoughts about emigrating etc...

I will let you know which route my gp sends me down and see if it can help.

I'm sure in the meantime the news will stop reporting about it and everyone will forget about it until next time.

I take some relief from seeing that no one else (apart from you) that I talk to throughout the day seems to care about this at all!

ZigZag
16-03-18, 16:04
Cheers Carys!

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I really think you have to stop feeding your fears by reading/watching the news. Turn to your community and see that in real life most people want the same thing as you - a stable and peaceful society for themselves and their children. If you emigrate, you might feel more settled for a while but who knows what changes will happen in the future, who knows what new fears you may face? Before you run away to a perceived safe corner of the world, far, far away (I think we all share the dream), stop and consider that life on planet earth is chaotic and unstable. That's just the way it is. You can't keep running away from your fears, new ones will take their place if your anxiety is unchecked and you will find yourself feeling trapped and hopeless.

I'm not saying that emigration is not the right thing to do, it might be a good move for you and your family, only you can make that decision.

Allow life to be unpredictable in your mind. Say, yes, I know sometimes there will be danger, sometimes there will be uncertainty, but I can accept it. Life can be fun, it can be exhilarating, it can be sad and tragic. That's life. Let it be what it will. Life isn't frightening, it's our own innate anxiety that is frightening. Fear of fear itself. The people you see who aren't worried or bothered about the news don't have anxiety.

Our thoughts are not real, they only exist in our heads. They come and they go. When we are anxious, we latch on to anything that feeds that anxiety. So, you really should stop listening to the news!

Say to yourself - I won't listen to the news because it makes me ill. Listening to it makes no difference to the outcome so I don't have to know. Repeat this until you believe it. Empower yourself and switch off the TV, don't scour the internet, don't let the scaremongers get to you, take back control, you'll feel better already.

Rather than take medication for anxiety, have you tried CBT? This is really, really helpful, not only in changing the way your brain works but giving you an understanding of how thoughts, anxiety and emotions interact and spiral out of control. Ask your doctor to refer you for therapy if possible.

Good Luck and remember, happiness and tranquility are a state of mind. Ok, so I haven't exactly cracked it yet, but I'm trying!

Mark926
16-03-18, 18:42
I agree with zigzag good advice.

PWO_Nathan
16-03-18, 20:21
What about threats from Russia that it will engage US forces if they strike Syria again?

Oh my god I'm petrified. I can't believe this is happening.

Please see this link http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1741053#post1741053

I did a full essay to try and help someone previously with similar anxiety.

I have a great interest in politics and I am ex forces and while this in no way qualifies me to be "right" it did help another member look at things differently so if it helps you, I will be over the moon.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

I just realised, its you again Confusion.

Please try not to worry.

Try put your worries/questions into a number list and fire them either on this or via message. I will give you another prospect, right or wrong, least it will be another way of looking at it :)

Carys
16-03-18, 20:58
I've just read your long reply, from the link, Nathan. Its very well thought out and I should think it would be helpful for anyone with a feeling of 'armageddon is imminent.'

PWO_Nathan
16-03-18, 21:13
I've just read your long reply, from the link, Nathan. Its very well thought out and I should think it would be helpful for anyone with a feeling of 'armageddon is imminent.'

Thank you, its a little hypocritical if I can be completely honest as I suffered with the same anxiety as the OP. However, I now know how far I have come as I am watching the news a lot more frequently. Not out of fear but out of interest.

Main thing I remember is fear sells. The media love fear for this reason. Accurate reporting isnt even a requirement now. Other day it said "Putin says you shouldn't threaten a Nuclear Power." Open the article and read, and he said no such thing, it was a worker at the Embassy.

This whole poisoning stinks of a false flag to me but thats another topic and conspiracy theory. I just hope the OP finds some comfort in a different prospective that the worlds guna end. With respect, what I would leave him/her with, is my linked post was a few month ago now. At that time the OP thought the world end was imminent. We are still here... :)

Hollow
16-03-18, 21:59
This whole poisoning stinks of a false flag to me but thats another topic and conspiracy theory. I just hope the OP finds some comfort in a different prospective that the worlds guna end. With respect, what I would leave him/her with, is my linked post was a few month ago now. At that time the OP thought the world end was imminent. We are still here... :)

Hi,

That's a very good point, this nerve agent poisoning is a total false flag or a outright hoax. Putin doesn't need to get his hands dirty with this type of amateur stuff. 90 percent of the news is totally fake and revolves around made up events. Most of the "terrorist" attacks and mass shootings are false flags or again out right hoaxes. News is being used as a weapon of mind control, to keep us in a state of fear and dependent on the government for "protection".

ZigZag
17-03-18, 11:07
You only have to look at the news in general to see how it's presented in ever more ridiculous and sensationalist ways.

Take the recent weather in the UK. We had a bit of snow. OK, so it had a real impact on a lot of people, but it was just snow, you know, in Winter. Most people (real people that don't work in the media) just get on with it and don't make a fuss.

I turned on my TV during this time and all I heard was talk of 'extreme' weather, programmes being altered and postponed to allow for 'snow specials'. Reporters were out in streets, battling a few centimetres of snow (very brave). They were almost besides themselves with excitement, trying to whip up a National frenzy.

It is embarrassing that we as a Nation look like fools because of our media. I am ashamed of it. I want educated, intelligent and objective people to present a well-balanced view, not a load of egos desperate to get their voices heard over everyone else and engaging sensationalist tactics to achieve this aim. I was going to compare our current media employees to children but children have far more dignity.

The more worrying thing is that the public looks to the media for information, it believes and trusts it. The media influences us all, it is so powerful, it deserves to be controlled in some way; oh, but it is already...

I have to laugh when a very well known news corp offers unbiased news. Come to us for an unbiased opinion, we'll tell you what you really need to know. We'll help you make up your mind who to vote for. Yeah, right.

Oh, and I am surprised when visiting a well established and respected news site, that, unlike in it's early days when it ran articles on a serious newsworthy subjects, it now has endless links to moronic stories about sub-zero celebrities - so-and-so's bum implant, whatshisface's girlfriend's cat's brush with death, thingummyblob's massively stupid eyebrows, etc. etc.

It feels like the fake or 'enhanced' news trend is going to get worse before it eventually implodes into it's own farcical fantasy. :D