PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Ativan--Will Update

the_anxious_mind
13-03-18, 19:54
I was prescribed 1 mg Ativan (Lorazepam) to take when I am feeling anxious. I also recently started Cymbalta. Either way, I have major issues with agoraphobia, health anxiety, medication phobia, and derealization. I am so scared that I will feel out of control or my derealization will be worse. Previous to this, I was taking diazepam (Valium) and having no issues with 5 mg at a time other than maybe being sleepy. Someone please rest my fears. I have had these pills in my purse for a week :(

Update: I did go ahead and take the 1mg of Ativan about 30 minutes ago. Still feeling quite anxious about how its going to make me feel. Wish me luck. I will update later.

xx

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Also, the reason that I am not taking diazepam anymore is because my doctor though lorazepam would be better.

Carys
13-03-18, 20:06
Good luck - but you will be fine. I have some 'emergency lorazepam' here, and only a third of 1mg makes me fall asleep f I am having insomnia trouble. If Diazepam ok, then I reckon the same drug class will be ok for you.

the_anxious_mind
14-03-18, 02:45
Update! I took the Ativan (1mg) about 2:15, I fought relaxation for about 40 minutes, worrying worrying worrying what it might do to me. I went through the usual dry mouth, thick throat feeling that I get when I get anxious, especially when swallowing new meds or new foods. But I got through that quickly. I am severely terrified of losing control and being dizzy! But as my husband reminds me, you are out of control now (with anxiety) and these meds can help you gain that control back. I repeated the mantra (im gaining control) in my head. It seemed to help.

After an hour had passed, I started to feel very deeply relaxed. Not necessarily completely at ease but very relaxed to the point if I were to lay down I would want to go to sleep. And I did, at the advice of my husband, lay down and just rest. After a full morning of derealization, heart racing, panicking, it was amazing to just lay there and not worry about anything but resting. And now almost 8 hours later, I still feel like I am calmer and able to sort my thoughts out.

I am so proud to know that I can take this med now as a rescue when I really need it. Living with major anxiety and panic and not having a rescue makes you feel way out of control. But if you can find something like this (not to be abused!) you can have that safety of having it in your purse, backpack, or pocket.

I will say that I am glad I took the full dose the first time, 1 mg. Because knowing now how I reacted to it (sleepily) I might try a .5mg.

Hugs to all of you who are fighting the fear of taking Ativan (or any benzos for that matter!) It is so hard and no one can push you into trying your meds. You have to find that fire inside of you that says "I can do this. And if I am not moving forward and taking chances, I am not going to get better!" Peace and love to you all! <3

---------- Post added at 02:45 ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 ----------

Also, I will say it took away all of the derealization I was experiencing (which was AMAZING because that is so scary to me!!)

the_anxious_mind
14-03-18, 15:50
Woke up a little jittery anxious this morning (which is am improvement--in the past two weeks I have been a shaky terrified mess!) so I have just now taken a .5 Ativan before it explodes into a full blown panic attack. Even thought I took it yesterday, I still had a little anxiety taking it. But I took it, and now we wait! Will update how the half dose makes me feel. xx

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Update: the half dose still made me sleepy. If I had of gotten up and about, it may not have been so bad.

I do still have physical symptoms of my anxiety even when I am relaxed, heart racing, mind won't turn off, so I am wondering what's up with that.

I feel content and calm now after taking an hour nap. But still sedated and tired. I'm not sure that I like the sleepiness that comes along with this med. Will continue to update!

Carys
14-03-18, 17:36
Ahhha, interesting, see as I said 1/3 of 1 mg sends me to sleep if I'm sky high with adrenaline. Its your first time of using it, so you can become tolerant to it quite quickly and I know that a couple of years ago after a couple of weeks it took me 1 mg to get to sleep.