PDA

View Full Version : Carbon monoxide fear..

Po
14-03-18, 19:33
I’m really in need of some reassurance right now even though I know my thoughts are irrational. I’ve been OBSESSING over the thoughts of CO poisoning ever since I was in a car when it broke down. I smelled some fumes and panicked even though everyone assured me that it can’t harm me because the windows were down. I’m in a car full of people right now and I’ve been for a few hours. For some reason I’m super convinced that there’s CO leaking out of the heater when it’s on. I feel super tired, my head hurts and I’m a bit short of breath.. nobody else in the car is experiencing any symptoms but I literally feel like I’m suffocating.. is it possible for CO to leak through heating vents? I’m scared I’m going to die as irrational as it sounds. :weep: I also bought a detector for my house so that sort of puts me at peace, but I’m not sure what to do to stop these thoughts.

nomorepanic
14-03-18, 19:56
Sounds like classic anxiety symptoms.

It is NOT CO leaking though.

Carys
14-03-18, 20:21
I presume the car is moving forwards and driving mostly ? If that is the case then I don't see how fumes could be entering the vehicle that are caused by your vehicle- I think a faulty exhaust system on the car you are in, a blocked exhaust, holes in the base of the vehicle, or the car running in an enclosed space are the only combination of factors that present a risk. If nobody else is experiencing symptoms then I would think there honestly can't be a problem - are you rather warm in the car and is the car being venilated enough - open a window for a while and see if it helps you ! Apart from anxiety, being in a stiffling full car make you feel a bit like you need some fresh air. I don't know very much about cars, maybe someone else will pop along with better advice :D

venusbluejeans
14-03-18, 21:51
Didn't I reply to a thread of yours yesterday about the same thing.... but you were afraid of carbon monoxide poisoning at home again even though everyone else was fine?!

As I said on that one, your mum is a nurse, knows all they symptoms of Carbon monoxide poisoning and she is well trained in these sort of things...... yet you don't believe her.

It would have been nice to get an answer on the thread to acknowledge my answer instead of just deleting the thread....... maybe you should have added this to the other thread as it is all about the same topic and other members trying to help you know the full story :)

Carys
14-03-18, 22:09
What is this 'thread deleting thing' that seems to be happening a fair bit by numerous people at the moment - I honestly don't understand it. :shrug:

Carys
15-03-18, 19:43
You are welcome !

MyNameIsTerry
17-03-18, 02:31
I presume the car is moving forwards and driving mostly ? If that is the case then I don't see how fumes could be entering the vehicle that are caused by your vehicle- I think a faulty exhaust system on the car you are in, a blocked exhaust, holes in the base of the vehicle, or the car running in an enclosed space are the only combination of factors that present a risk. If nobody else is experiencing symptoms then I would think there honestly can't be a problem - are you rather warm in the car and is the car being venilated enough - open a window for a while and see if it helps you ! Apart from anxiety, being in a stiffling full car make you feel a bit like you need some fresh air. I don't know very much about cars, maybe someone else will pop along with better advice :D

If a car is leaking into the cabin the advice, other than not to drive it if possible and get it fixed, is to drive with the windows down. As long as the CO is exiting the cabin and oxygen is coming in in sufficient levels it is safe enough.

I only know due to it coming up before and reading about it.