PDA

View Full Version : Appeal for DLA not approved

xBettyBoopx
11-07-07, 00:40
Hi all

I did a post a while back about being turned down for any disability. I appealed but have still been turned down. I am so mad!! This is disgraceful!! I am agoraphobic, have Chronic fatigue and back problems.

According to the letter that I received, I can only appeal again if it is wrong in law!! What does that friggin mean?

I told them I wanted a home hearing as I couldn't get to the hearing which was about 6 miles away. I was told that they might be able to hear it in my home if I got a doctors letter, which I did but they still said that they thought I could get there in a taxi!!!!!!! OMG what is it that they didn't understand about being housebound??!!

Lady from DAB who has been over-seeing my case represented me, but she obviously didn't get anywhere with it.

So now what do I do? I think it's because I'm not at the doctors suregery twice a week or something!! And not seeing any kind of councellor as my gp at the time who is now retired, said that I can't get help. I'm lost, no physical help, no monetary help, what can I do?? Any suggestions from anyone who has encountered this, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
Elspeth

Karen
11-07-07, 03:16
Hi Elzbeth

I was in a situation like yours a couple of years ago. Due to my anxiety and panic I realised I wouldn't be able to comminate properly.

So I went to see someone at the Citizens Advice Bureau for advise. We went through my finances and dates when I had lost my job etc.

By the end I felt relieved as fighting these decisions was added stress that I didn't need.

The CAB are good and attened the meeting and she spoke to the panel most of the time.

It also helps if you have a supportive GP to provide medical evidence.

Karen x

Alabasterlyn
11-07-07, 09:47
Hi Elspeth, well to me it makes no sense at al that you have been turned down. There are absolutely stacks of people getting DLA for having agoraphobia. I claimed for it about 12yrs ago and was awarded the lower mobility rate straight away. You are entitled to it and it makes no sense that they have turned you down and I can totally understand your anger.

I don't think that being a person always sitting in the Dr's surgery has any sway in their decision as most agoraphobics find it so hard to get to the Dr's that we only go when we absolutely have to. There are also a lot of agoraphobics that for the same reason don't go for therapy as they can't get out the house to get therapy.

As you have a letter from your Dr I would suggest you write to your local MP and enclose the Dr's letter and see if they can do something. I think it's just appalling and I hope you can get it sorted out.

nomorepanic
11-07-07, 19:11
Elspeth

Sorry to hear this but I did pick up on one thing you said ....

"And not seeing any kind of councellor as my gp at the time who is now retired, said that I can't get help."

They cannot refuse you help under the NICE guideline. So go back and tell him you want help and you have read the NICE guidelines and are entitled to it.

Why not try and concentrate on your recovery as well. You could sign up for the No Panic telephone recovery course - that is a good starting point.

KookyCrafter
14-07-07, 14:54
Looks like maybe Rethink could help you
Any problems with your claim...

If you have any problems with your claim, contact Rethink’s National Advice Service. They may be able to suggest what has gone wrong and help you proceed with the claim or, if you wish, they could help you to have your case heard at an independent tribunal (a Disability Appeal Tribunal). Contact Rethink’s Advice Service by phoning 020 8974 6814 (open Mon- Fri, 10am-3pm), writing to Rethink Advice, 28 Castle Street, Kingston upon Thames, SURREY KT1 1SS or emailing advice@rethink.org (advice@rethink.org).

It might also be worth trying to get an advocate http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Mind+guide+to/advocacy.htm

And of course try the CAB - some of them even offer advice by e-mail!
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice#txt_getadvice_header-Anchor-search

Piglet
14-07-07, 14:56
A very helpful post Kooky. :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

Alabasterlyn
14-07-07, 16:24
That is very helpful yes Kooky, I think I may chase them up as today I got a letter saying my application for re evaluating my current DLA was turned down :ohmy:

I think the whole way benefits are decided on in the UK is appalling. There are set criterias laid down for benefit applications and yet it seems people are constantly turned down even though they meet the criteria, so someone isn't doing their job properly.

I know lots of people who have claimed DLA for so called physical disabilties that get the higher rates of mobility and have blue bagdes etc., yet they are as right as rain. Are we being discriminated against because our problems are psychological? As far as I am concerned the physical symptoms I get are just as bad as if I did have a physcial condition so all this crap we have to go through makes no sense at all.

bearcrazy
14-07-07, 18:04
Hi,

My son has been turned down for incapacity allowance. He too has CFS/M.E. (For 10 years now). He tried to work part time in a post office and had to leave after 6 weeks because of the accumulated Fatigue/exhaustion and had a massive PA in front of the customers. I think that the DSS are really tightening up. meanwhile he and his partner have no money coming in except her money which just covers rent and bills. We have had to help them out while he appeals. Its a matter of 'Unseen Disability' all over again! Dont give up.